The Student Room Group

ib visual art exam!

i have my art exam coming up. does anyone have any suggestions that could help me? my art teacher is practically useless and i am clueless on how to prepare!! what kind of questions do they ask you??? please help!! :confused: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

dooes everyone have exams in this, cos im sure at my school people don't have to do an exam :s-smilie:
it's an oral exam where an examiner comes and ask you about your pieces. I'm really not sure how you really prepare for this since I didn't do art...sorry, can't help.
how do you do well in art. seriously at my school they never got better than a 6 and last year only one person got taht..,the guy that got the 6 just did millions of crappy little sketches, is that the way to go?
Reply 4
I'd like to know how they get a non-biased judge on your work.

Considering Art is something that differs between people (You'd never guess I do TOK :wink:) I can't see how the marking is completely fair.

I suppose the best to prepare is to practice your drawing all the time and be aware of a range of styles and above all be passionate about your subject.
it can't be fair. but I remember my friend telling me that the examiner also ask you about your research stuff, how well you've done research on other artists and stuff?
Reply 6
A tricky one - to prepare for an IB Art interview you need to think about what you can say about each finished piece. Look at the studio work marking criteria and try to cover all your bases.
Explain what it means to you, how you dreamt up the idea. Whether it went smoothly or not and if there were problems how you solved them- also if it links up to inspiration from another artist, art movement or era in history or even a particular culture. If it links to other pieces in your show. Sometimes you can talk about how another artists technique or style helped or inspired you. Discuss your techniques and any technical difficulties or successes.Try and use correct Art terminology. Refer to any of the elements and principles of design that are relevant.(shape form tone colour texture line balance harmony contrast etc etc)
If you can back up your aesthetic decisions and demonstrate any personal/cultural /sociological meaning you should be okay. Sometimes it helps to video a "dummy -run" interview and play it back to see where you are going wrong, repeating yourself or waffling. Drama teacher may be able to help you prepare as it is kind of like a presentation and helps if you are calm, clear and well spoken. The examiner will look at all your research work books before the interview- Interviews are about 30 mins SL and 40 mins HL
Hey Guys, okay my Art exam is scheduled quite late, basically next week. However I wonder whether one of you can answer my questions:

1. Are we allowed to take some notes into the presentation?
2. Would it be beneficial for my art works if I dress in a way that reflects my artwork?
3. Do we receive our grade directly after the presentation?

Thank you
I do HL Visual Arts. I'm just bringing in my Portfolio of work, no notes. I doubt you're allowed them - it should be in your head.

The way you dress in no way matters. Just don't wear something too crazy or distracting. My exam is next Friday, the last day of lessons, where everyone wears silly things... I've already been warned to tone it down!!

You will get your grade when results come out in July. After the Examiner has marked your work, his/her marks all get moderated etc which is a long process.

:-)
Thanks for your answer :smile:

I have one question left:

during the presentation, should I concentrate on some art works more than others or is it necessary to talk about each ? Whats the right balance?

Thanks

thelastgoulet
thelastgoulet
Thanks for your answer :smile:

I have one question left:

during the presentation, should I concentrate on some art works more than others or is it necessary to talk about each ? Whats the right balance?

Thanks

thelastgoulet

Well, it isn't so much of a presentation as it is an oral exam/conversation. If you have a good examiner, he will lead the conversation. He will have spent some time in the Exhibition Hall before you go in, looking at your stuff, and of course he has your CRB. He will lead you around your twelves selected studio works, and also discuss your portfolio (the rest of your art not in the exhibition) and your research a little bit.

My Exam is on Friday at 3pm. I am going about an hour early, laying absolutely all my artwork, experimentations etc onto the floor of the exhibition room (my 12 pieces are already hung around the room). Thus, I will have everything to hand: my portfolio on the floor, my studio work on the walls, my research work books on a table, and of course my brain with the answers to his questions.

He'll probably treat each of your 12 pieces with fairly equal amounts of time. He has to ask questions to fit his criteria. He will want to see development of skills, experimentation, techical ability, function, meaning, cultural understanding, integration with research and your life, that kind of thing...

Good luck!! :biggrin:
Basically, as long as you've done enough work, you'll be ok. You have to do so much research though, especially on culture and how its influenced your work. Has your teacher gone through the criteria with you?

I think I must be the only person to have taken my art exam so far on here.

I found it easy, but then I have worked myself practically to death over it. I filled 3 hardback sketchbooks and did a major amount of studio work. If I havent got a high 6/7, I'll be pretty angry.
Lol small problem, I only have like 12 pieces in total, no other works at all. That is kind of lousy I guess..... Well my RSWB is like not half full and its my only one .... and i have no paintings but only photographs and one sculpture....

screwed?
thelastgoulet
Lol small problem, I only have like 12 pieces in total, no other works at all. That is kind of lousy I guess..... Well my RSWB is like not half full and its my only one .... and i have no paintings but only photographs and one sculpture....

screwed?

Ideally you should really have more work, as much of the criteria specify a 'substantial body of work'. But don't worry. I don't have that much, because a lot of my work is 3D and thus takes months per piece. One ceramics piece took nearly 100 hours from experiments to final studio work, for example.

RWB, you ought to have more, but it depends how good your work is. Only 20 pages are marked after all, but the examiner will see that you have a small quantity. I had about 200 pages across two books.

I wouldn't say you're screwed, probably not a 7, but definately not screwed!! Just talk a lot about your work, and its development. What grade are you expecting to achieve? For me, I'd be disappointed if it wasn't a 7, but that's only because I really have put in so much effort and time, which has been detrimental to a couple of my other subjects. Attaining a 7 in HL Visual Arts has definately shaved a point or two off a couple of other subjects. *sigh*

Good luck, again! :biggrin:
yeh visual arts seems to suck up far too much of people's time, a shame as few schools seem to have cracked quite what it takes to get a 7 out of their class :p: i know my friend came the closest at our school last year cos she did loads of written research work. but everything gets moderated down, i think its probs cos exmainers come in and look, they don't have th eknowledge of the art teachers on how many painstaking hours a student has spent in front of their sketchbooks. the IB school down the road, which is one of the best in the world: they always get a handful of 45s has never had a 7 in IB art. subjective bs :p:
FutureEconomist

Attaining a 7 in HL Visual Arts has definately shaved a point or two off a couple of other subjects. *sigh*

I second that!!

Its so stupid that the examiner doesnt have more control over your grade... he's the one who actually sees your work after all! 20 pages just doesn't show how many hours you've put into your work. DUMB!
PrettyBoysWearPink
I second that!!

Its so stupid that the examiner doesnt have more control over your grade... he's the one who actually sees your work after all! 20 pages just doesn't show how many hours you've put into your work. DUMB!

That is going to be my advantage:P .... well, I made some drawings now and I will demonstrate some research, too. I hope to achieve a 5, but not lower !!! :eek:

wel, i am kind of a goof talker, maybe thats going to rescue me :s-smilie:

I counted today and I have 14 works plus some quotes ... my theme is golf and the quotes are really good ones, so maybe I can count that as a project, too :rolleyes:
hey guys .... well tmrw its my mock exam and on saturday the examiner will visit .... tell me what do focus on in the presentation, what do I have to prepare, etc??

thelastgoulet
hey guys .... well tmrw its my mock exam and on saturday the examiner will visit .... tell me what do focus on in the presentation, what do I have to prepare, etc??

I had my exam today. It was AMAZING!!

It lasted 1h 20m, but it was absolutely awesome!!

Good luck for your exam tomorrow :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 19
how come yours was 1h 20 mins? the limit is 30 mins!

Quick Reply

Latest