The Student Room Group

worried crb check, police caution !!!!

Hi, I am very worried about my crb check. Last year in January I was arrested for common assault after a dispute with my ex which got a bit out of hand . I've received a conditional offer from city university which I accepted as firm, and unconditional offer from LSBU as insurance. Now, I am having sleepless nights , as I am worried they might not accept me on the radiography course. Did anyone had a police caution got accepted on a degree. Any suggestions would greatly help .
Reply 1
well my frend has also had a police caution a few years ago, but he made it into uni fine....so im assumin that as long as they have given u an offer and u get the required results you shud b fine :smile:
Reply 2
The caution will show up and the uni may even be able to see what for
Reply 3
You need to declare all cautions and convictions when they ask you to when you apply for the course surely? It will show up. Was your friend also CRB checked? It it not usually a problem if it is not relevant and it is declared before they find out from the CRB.

Marcus
Reply 4
Universities do not perform criminal records checks.

You are expected to declare all unspent convictions (it's on your UCAS form, I believe). A caution does not count as a conviction and does not constitute a criminal record; although in some circumstances it could arise, but only if you were entering very specific jobs.
L i b
Universities do not perform criminal records checks.

You are expected to declare all unspent convictions (it's on your UCAS form, I believe). A caution does not count as a conviction and does not constitute a criminal record; although in some circumstances it could arise, but only if you were entering very specific jobs.

You appear to have missed the point that the OP is applying for a radiography course, which does require a CRB. Cautions are included on a CRB check.
Reply 6
Good bloke
You appear to have missed the point that the OP is applying for a radiography course, which does require a CRB. Cautions are included on a CRB check.

Oooooh, I see; completely missed that angle.
If you were under 18 at the time of offence and If you've turned 18 since recieving the caution it will have been wiped from your file. It will not show up on a CRB check, only on security vetting things.
fragreaper
If you were under 18 at the time of offence and If you've turned 18 since recieving the caution it will have been wiped from your file. It will not show up on a CRB check, only on security vetting things.

My understanding is that this is not the case. See http://www.nacrodisclosures.org.uk/Q66.htm#cautions

It says:

"Cautions, reprimands, warnings and fixed penalty notices

A caution is a formal warning administered by a senior police officer in a police station. Reprimands and final warnings are a form of caution for juveniles, also administered by a senior police officer, usually in a police station. None of these are criminal convictions as such, so do not have a rehabilitation period and cannot be spent or unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

However, unless they are very old, cautions, reprimands and final warnings will normally show up on Disclosures. "
Good bloke
My understanding is that this is not the case. See http://www.nacrodisclosures.org.uk/Q66.htm#cautions

It says:

"Cautions, reprimands, warnings and fixed penalty notices

A caution is a formal warning administered by a senior police officer in a police station. Reprimands and final warnings are a form of caution for juveniles, also administered by a senior police officer, usually in a police station. None of these are criminal convictions as such, so do not have a rehabilitation period and cannot be spent or unspent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

However, unless they are very old, cautions, reprimands and final warnings will normally show up on Disclosures. "

My bad, I got confused. I checked with a custody sergeant, and unless it is a serious offence, it will be kept for 2 years. all the new MOPI stuff since Huntley has changed all the procedures.
Basically, CRB checks dont disclose everything, just things the police deem relevant.

Mr A has a caution for assault, on a night out. Mr B has a caution for assault on his partner (domestic violence).

A & B go for a job, say working in social care. A CRB check might not disclose Mr As caution, whereas Mr B's caution would almost certainly be disclosed due to vulnerability issues.
Reply 11
Well I am a mature student, 32 yrs, and LSBU sent a letter, where it says if i have ever been cautioned, which was only last year.I have to go the university at the end of August to fill out the crb form . I don't know how long it takes to get an answer, which is only giving me 2 weeks by the time the course starts in Sep and I'm worried sick.
Reply 12
brl7276
Well I am a mature student, 32 yrs, and LSBU sent a letter, where it says if i have ever been cautioned, which was only last year.I have to go the university at the end of August to fill out the crb form . I don't know how long it takes to get an answer, which is only giving me 2 weeks by the time the course starts in Sep and I'm worried sick.

I wouldnt be worried, cautions are rightly seen as much less serious as a conviction. The police have deemed a caution the right course of action for you rather than sending you to court and im sure that message will get through to your university.

Latest

Trending

Trending