The Student Room Group

Red/Sore Groin Area

ANON OR DELETE PLEASE!

Ok, this has been going on for about 4 months now and it's really getting me down. I really don't want to go to the doctors for it as my doctor is a pr*ck and I'd be too embarrassed to go. Anyway, my groin area (top of my thighs, each side of my testicles) is really red (almost red raw) and exceptionally itchy. When I walk it's really painful:frown:. Recently my testes themselves became really red and sore, and are now all sticky (as in anything that touches them sticks to them), even after a shower/wash. It's really getting me down at the moment, I can't even walk properly:s-smilie:

It's not an STD (Unless you can get them without having sex:rolleyes: ), and I don't think it's an alergy to any soap/shower gel, because I've changed them over the past month and no changes.

Sorry for wall of text and a bit graphic:p:, but can anyone advise how to get rid of this?

Scroll to see replies

Are you sure it's not just the skin chafing?

E.g. your legs rubbing together when you walk?

See here: http://walking.about.com/od/chafing/Chafing_Prevention_and_Treatment.htm
Reply 2
Have you tried using talcum powder....it will stop the chafing. But dont use it if the skin is actually broken as it will obviously hurt.
Reply 3
randomgirl
Are you sure it's not just the skin chafing?

E.g. your legs rubbing together when you walk?

See here: http://walking.about.com/od/chafing/Chafing_Prevention_and_Treatment.htm

No, I've tried vaseline/other lubricants for days and no change:frown:
Reply 5
Using wet creams will make it worse!....you need to dry the area out so that it can heal better which is why I suggested the talc. It what I use too.
Reply 6
I would suggest that it is almost certainly a sweat rash and can be treated using Hydrocortisone
http://www.canesten.co.uk/sweat-rash/sweat-rash-prevention.htm
If it hasn't cleared up by conventional methods (such as talcum powder as already suggested) then you would be silly, or perhaps down right stupid, to do any advice from this forum. You must go to the doctor - he is the only person who is qualified to diagnose and prescribe treatment.

Whilst it may be embarrassing what is better? The pain you experience on a daily basis OR a few minutes of humility?
Reply 8
Annie72
Using wet creams will make it worse!....you need to dry the area out so that it can heal better which is why I suggested the talc. It what I use too.

I've tried talcum powder once and it became really foul smelling:frown:. Infact, the whole area always smells awful, which made me think it might be some sort of infection, but then I couldn't think what:frown:. Sweat rash sounds plausible, it's like a bloody swimming pool sometimes (sorry for graphic nature:p: )

SomeNextPirate
If it hasn't cleared up by conventional methods (such as talcum powder as already suggested) then you would be silly, or perhaps down right stupid, to do any advice from this forum. You must go to the doctor - he is the only person who is qualified to diagnose and prescribe treatment.

Whilst it may be embarrassing what is better? The pain you experience on a daily basis OR a few minutes of humility?

But I hate my doctor, and he hates me:frown:.
Reply 9
Anonymous
I've tried talcum powder once and it became really foul smelling:frown:. Infact, the whole area always smells awful, which made me think it might be some sort of infection, but then I couldn't think what:frown:. Sweat rash sounds plausible, it's like a bloody swimming pool sometimes (sorry for graphic nature:p: )

Sweat rash is a type of yeast infection and would explain the foul smell and itch. The cream is low dosage and wouldn't do you any harm if you used it when you didn't have sweat rash.

My advice would be to go to the doctor (before anyone starts bitching at me) but if you insist on not doing so, then I would give this is a try IF I WERE YOU.
Anonymous

You could go to a walk-in clinic. I think you really ought to see a Doc :wink:
Anonymous

Report him then.

But before you do that, ask to see another doctor, you can choose to see any doctor you like at the practice.

Alternatively, go to A&E :smile:
Reply 12
I get a sweat rash too, I dont have testicles though because I am a girl. I get it on my belly after having 2 c sections.
Reply 13
somethingbeautiful
You could go to a walk-in clinic. I think you really ought to see a Doc :wink:

Never heard of these..... where can I find them?
Reply 14
Anonymous
ANON OR DELETE PLEASE!

Ok, this has been going on for about 4 months now and it's really getting me down. I really don't want to go to the doctors for it as my doctor is a pr*ck and I'd be too embarrassed to go. Anyway, my groin area (top of my thighs, each side of my testicles) is really red (almost red raw) and exceptionally itchy. When I walk it's really painful:frown:. Recently my testes themselves became really red and sore, and are now all sticky (as in anything that touches them sticks to them), even after a shower/wash. It's really getting me down at the moment, I can't even walk properly:s-smilie:

It's not an STD (Unless you can get them without having sex:rolleyes: ), and I don't think it's an alergy to any soap/shower gel, because I've changed them over the past month and no changes.

Sorry for wall of text and a bit graphic:p:, but can anyone advise how to get rid of this?

I'm not sure what it's called medically :p: but you want to keep it dry. Baby powder will actually help (the powder they put on a baby's bottom after a diaper change :p:). Also, OTC antiseptic creams (NOT antibiotics and NOT alcohol based) can sometimes help keep the area clean.

It's from the moisture down there (sorry for the graphic nature of that). Keeping it dry, and "extra" clean can go far.
Reply 15
Lithium
Also, OTC antiseptic creams (NOT antibiotics and NOT alcohol based) can sometimes help keep the area clean.

Can you recommend any? The one posted before is Alcohol based I think:s-smilie:
Anonymous
Never heard of these..... where can I find them?

http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx

Select the walk-in centres option and type in your postcode - you should find one nearby.
They're convinient, waiting times vary but you will see a Doc on the day you go in :smile:
Reply 17
neillya1
Can you recommend any? The one posted before is Alcohol based I think:s-smilie:

No, I'm afraid I can't. The reason that I recommended against an alcohol one is b/c the OP said that his skin was "raw" and an alcohol based one would really burn. There are quite a few alternatives. The OP should ask the pharmacist :smile:
Reply 18
Lithium
No, I'm afraid I can't. The reason that I recommended against an alcohol one is b/c the OP said that his skin was "raw" and an alcohol based one would really burn. There are quite a few alternatives. The OP should ask the pharmacist :smile:

Just wondering because I had this same problem few months back, and had nothing to treat it with.:no:. Did go on it's own so OP don't despair, it will go eventually:yep:
Reply 19
somethingbeautiful
http://www.nhs.uk/servicedirectories/Pages/ServiceSearch.aspx

Select the walk-in centres option and type in your postcode - you should find one nearby.
They're convinient, waiting times vary but you will see a Doc on the day you go in :smile:

Thankyou!

Latest

Trending

Trending