The Student Room Group

Rowing Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
The picture only just loaded for me :p: I remember those blades from my first month of rowing, aaah the good old days. I'm not sure why they were supposed to help novices to be honest but oh well :p:
Reply 21
Jessaay!
The picture only just loaded for me :p: I remember those blades from my first month of rowing, aaah the good old days. I'm not sure why they were supposed to help novices to be honest but oh well :p:

I'm guessing it helps when you haven't learn how to feather yet? It would be harsh to give the other ones to unfeathering novice rowers :holmes:
Reply 22
Mithra
By 'boat' I unfortunately meant the other 7 rowers :p: (some are ok but some are just... I tried out rowing in 4 the other day and the guy at stroke's oar actually touched the water in about 25% of his strokes :p:).

Actual 'boat'-wise though we are in a similar.. um.. boat.. we did the durham small boat head race a week ago and were the only team in a wooden boat it seemed :smile:. When I subbed into one of the top 8's fours they let us take out a fibreglass one as most of the wood fours were broken and it was just :coma::sexface::coma:.

Ooooh ok :p: Well we cleaned our boat for the first time in a year today so I just have it on my mind. In a way, I love her, in a way, I hate her (I only just got used to calling the boat in a feminine manner today when I had to after my coach said "she looks better, doesn't she" to which I asked "who?" :p:)
Reply 23
Student2806
At one point they were the only blades :tongue:

Do you row for one of the colleges?

That's true :p:.

I row for Hild Bede but only in the novice team as I started this year :sad:.

Jesaaaay!: Apparently they are more forgiving on the back if you have bad technique is one reason. Plus Ana's feathering thing.
Reply 24
Anatheme
I'm guessing it helps when you haven't learn how to feather yet? It would be harsh to give the other ones to unfeathering novice rowers :holmes:

I guess, though we started feathering fairly soon but just continued using the same blades. True though. We were rowing square blades with proper blades today as a punishment for not tapping down enough and not squaring early enough and it was an absolute nightmare. Plus the wind was blowing back into the blades increasing the resistance on the recovery :p: In fact, it was blowing so hard it started to hurt. We're not used to having to push :frown:
Mithra
That's true :p:.

I row for Hild Bede but only in the novice team as I started this year :sad:

Hit Old Elvet yet?
Reply 26
I go "pulling" :smile:
Reply 27
We don't have wooden boats, but we usually get the old one for heavyweights, it's an absolute nightmare to manœuvre, urgh, plus the boathouse has a stupidly gay tree right in the middle of the way to the gates…
Reply 28
Student2806
Hit Old Elvet yet?

Lol, yup, not hard though:p:. We very very nearly did with the seniors' fibreglass one I mentioned, cox was terrified :smile:.
Reply 29
Jessaay!
I guess, though we started feathering fairly soon but just continued using the same blades. True though. We were rowing square blades with proper blades today as a punishment for not tapping down enough and not squaring early enough and it was an absolute nightmare. Plus the wind was blowing back into the blades increasing the resistance on the recovery :p: In fact, it was blowing so hard it started to hurt. We're not used to having to push :frown:

I don't tap enough, we had to redo our stroke because of me today :erm:
Not squaring early enough, god I'd kill 6 for being always late, meeeeh.
Reply 30
Anatheme
I don't tap enough, we had to redo our stroke because of me today :erm:
Not squaring early enough, god I'd kill 6 for being always late, meeeeh.

I think I've always tapped down enough, but because the balance is always off for other people (3 and 4 :mad:) not tapping down enough I find it hard to square early, as when your blade is hitting the water it makes it a bit hard to square :frown:
Mithra
Lol, yup, not hard though:p:. We very very nearly did with the seniors' fibreglass one I mentioned, cox was terrified :smile:.

It's a nightmare. It could be worse - a few years ago (actually many years ago), the cox from my old club (DARC) hit it in the final of The Grand at the Regatta :o: She was suicidal as well cos they were destroying DUBC.
Reply 32
Jessaay!
I think I've always tapped down enough, but because the balance is always off for other people (3 and 4 :mad:) not tapping down enough I find it hard to square early, as when your blade is hitting the water it makes it a bit hard to square :frown:

They make us feather starting from above our knees, which works when the boat is sat, but we still have quite a lot of troubles with sitting it :colondollar:. Plus our coach used to row for Cambridge (uni level, not college level), so he's reaaally picky, sometimes he says something and you're like :lolwut:
Reply 33
The very first time we learnt how to feather, 9th November 2009:
(Check out the loser blades, bahaha)
I'm a novice. Just rowing casually at college level, but I love it!

I miss out on the bumps this term but summer eights :coma:
Reply 35
Anatheme
They make us feather starting from above our knees, which works when the boat is sat, but we still have quite a lot of troubles with sitting it :colondollar:. Plus our coach used to row for Cambridge (uni level, not college level), so he's reaaally picky, sometimes he says something and you're like :lolwut:

Same, my cox always goes "KNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES" in the most annoying way at every stroke to encourage us to square over our knees in order to shut her up. That or encourage us to throw her in the water :p:
Reply 36
Anatheme
The very first time we learnt how to feather, 9th November 2009:
(Check out the loser blades, bahaha)

You look quite good actually for the first time learning how to feather. I used to always feather with the wrong hand.

Has anyone else been filmed rowing yet? It's actually terrifying. We discovered we work really well as a team, with a lot of power and good timing, but our individual techniques were quite poor. :p:
Reply 37
I just overloaded on protein because my legs are aching from earlier. Pistachios, two chicken legs, half a carton of chocolate alpro soya (they'd run out of chocolate cow's milk and Nurishment does not agree with my student budget :frown:) and bean salad and rice for dinner. Overboard? Most probably, but I was extremely hungry :p:
Reply 38
Jessaay!
You look quite good actually for the first time learning how to feather. I used to always feather with the wrong hand.

Has anyone else been filmed rowing yet? It's actually terrifying. We discovered we work really well as a team, with a lot of power and good timing, but our individual techniques were quite poor. :p:

I've been filmed erging, luckily they're not on the Internet, bahaha. One of the other eights (pre club-cleanage, when everyone was still rowing), can be seen here. And I'm gonna try to put a video of the boys 1st VIII trying to row through the ice two weeks ago, it was soooo difficult!
Reply 39
I just agreed to do another outing tomorrow. I shall therefore be at 8 at the boathouse to row with the 1st VIII, my VIII (2nd) and the third VIII, finishing at 2. Rowing has definitely taken over my life… :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest