The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

The Oxford Postgraduate Thread

Tsk, there's not even a thread for people who hold an offer for a graduate programme at Oxford, whereas Cambridge does. We could of course do all the discussing in the graduate applicants thread, but I thought it'd be best to avoid the understandably sour faces and snide remarks from embittered rejectees.

What are you going to study at Oxford? What colleges did you apply for?

I am in any case extremely excited to be taking on graduate studies at Oxford (might still opt for Cambridge, but Oxford seems the more likely choice). Will embark upon the MPhil in European Politics and Society! Have yet to hear back from a college, and considering I applied for Trinity and University College as my first and second choice, I am fully expecting to be pooled. But it would be such an amazing experience to be part of a college with such a rich history.

:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!
Good idea to start this thread.
For me I'll be doing the MPhil in Political Theory, and I applied for Nuffield as my first choice, and Balliol as my second. Does anybody know how long it takes the colleges to get back to us? I know the Oxon website says we should expect a response by May 28.. but I'm hoping it's sooner than that..

Congrats to all the admits!! I'm *super* excited about going to Oxford.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
I'm not 100% sure I'll be attending yet, but today I received my offer for the M.St in Medieval Studies! I'm SO excited--I spent two terms as an associate student in Oxford during undergrad and wanted to be a matriculated student so badly it hurt. I will in all likelihood attend, but I need to check my conditions first and would like to hear back from the other two universities to which I've applied.

As for colleges, my choices were Oriel and Exeter, though I'd really be ecstatic to be put in any of the pre-1950s colleges. Of course, as a medieval student I'd love something as close to a traditional medieval college as possible, but I'm really not picky--I'm just happy I got in!

Good idea to start this thread, by the way. I feel bad knowing that so many people who wanted places just as badly as me were rejected; it can't be easy for them to see admitted students talking about how excited they are. :frown:
Reply 3
MPhil in Comparative Government. I applied to ChCh and Nuffield, and I am expecting to be pooled as well. I just went through the reading list and am freaking out already, but I remain super excited nonetheless for two years of intense torture.
Reply 4
joshlyman
MPhil in Comparative Government. I applied to ChCh and Nuffield, and I am expecting to be pooled as well. I just went through the reading list and am freaking out already, but I remain super excited nonetheless for two years of intense torture.

Ha, the reading list for European Politics & Society also was enough to freak me out. And that was only the reading for the core paper in European Governance, excluding the reading for research methods. If I get funding, I think I will spend August and September burying myself among books. The torture is self-inflicted though, so we know what we are getting ourselves into and I am sure it will be worth it.
Reply 5
Seasons

Good idea to start this thread, by the way. I feel bad knowing that so many people who wanted places just as badly as me were rejected; it can't be easy for them to see admitted students talking about how excited they are. :frown:

True, the amount of rejectees is staggering. But that should only make us feel all the more fortunate to have been accepted!

Interesting choice of colleges, by the way. I guess it will take quite some time to hear back, but I too hope that they will be faster than May 28. It's a very exciting prospect to delve into the history and facilities of the college you have been accepted by.

:woo:
Reply 6
CooCooCachoo
Ha, the reading list for European Politics & Society also was enough to freak me out. And that was only the reading for the core paper in European Governance, excluding the reading for research methods. If I get funding, I think I will spend August and September burying myself among books. The torture is self-inflicted though, so we know what we are getting ourselves into and I am sure it will be worth it.

So you're not taking up your offer without some funding at least? Where did you do your undergrad?
Reply 7
joshlyman
So you're not taking up your offer without some funding at least? Where did you do your undergrad?

I think I will, but it's a tough decision. I'd be in so much debt :eek: In that case I will probably have to work during those months so as to at least earn some money. I really hope this is a decision I won't have to make. I honestly feel I stand a good chance of securing the funding through the Dutch government, but there are obviously no safe bets. The only concern I have is that I might be rejected for having done a Master's degree abroad already. I will hear in early May.

I did my undergrad at a small-scale Liberal Arts & Sciences college in the Netherlands (Roosevelt Academy). It is so small and new that I doubt you will have heard of it, but five years into its existence it is already considered one of the most reputable Dutch academic institutions.
Reply 8
Hey guys. I've received an offer to do MPhil in Politics (Comparative Govenrment). Was super surprised that I got offered, considering that I come from a relatively new and unknown (internationally) university in Singapore.

Anyway, my college choices are (1) St Anthony and (2) Nuffield. I have yet to hear from the colleges and am quite anxious. I'm from a staunchly middle class background and may not be able to go without any external funding.

Qn: Does anyone know how likely is it that the college that offers you a place will offer you funding to cover partial/all fees??
Reply 9
soulgroove
Hey guys. I've received an offer to do MPhil in Politics (Comparative Govenrment). Was super surprised that I got offered, considering that I come from a relatively new and unknown (internationally) university in Singapore.

Anyway, my college choices are (1) St Anthony and (2) Nuffield. I have yet to hear from the colleges and am quite anxious. I'm from a staunchly middle class background and may not be able to go without any external funding.

Qn: Does anyone know how likely is it that the college that offers you a place will offer you funding to cover partial/all fees??

I applied to Nuffield for my second choice college as well. Their endowment is huge compared to the number of students they have (highest endowment/student ratio in Oxford, if I'm not mistaken). They might thus be generous if they want you! Good luck, and congrats.
Reply 10
soulgroove

Congrats! Good luck sorting out the finances/funding. To be honest, the likelihood that you will be fully funded by college is infinitesimal. If I recall correctly, Oxford's bursaries rarely cover all expenses. Did you apply for any Singaporean or other scholarships?
Reply 11
Congrats to everyone who has received an offer thus far. I've been unconditionally accepted for DPhil law, which I'm pretty excited about. Now, just to finish this year and find some funding.

I applied to two colleges which (as far as I can see) are yet to be mentioned: Brasenose and Wadham. Still, they might be overridden if there is a better funding option. Or, of course, by default if they don't want me!
Reply 12
Well done for everyone who have received the offer that they wanted. I've been accepted onto MSc Evidence Based Social Intervention (would love to the MPhil that I have also been offered a place onto, but it comes down to funding and I simply can't raise that kind of money). I have been offered a place a Green Templeton College. I'm sensing that I have a long summer of making money and reading lots. I hope we have a really wet and cold summer, so that I feel that I am not missing out on much.
er, so i'm a grad and have had a decent amount of experience of going through the whole process of hearing from colleges/learning about funding/whatever, so i'm pretty happy to answer qs if you've got them - have skimmed the thread but there seems to be a lot going on, ask me directly if there's something you think i might know!
Hi everyone. Just noticed this thread-good idea! I felt so bad even saying that I got an offer on the applicants thread to be honest! I know I would have been so disappointed. We are really lucky though! Go us! I've an offer for the MSc in Criminology and Criminal Justice. My college choices were Merton and Corpus Christi. Gosh, I hope I'm not pooled! I also have an offer from Cambridge and was pooled to Hughes Hall (which is nice but a modern(ish) grad college on the outskirts of town). I know it's still Cambridge and all but you can't help feeling slightly disappointed, even though everyone always says you'll enjoy it wherever you are (yada, yada, yada). It's amazing how quickly one's anxiety focus moves from "will I get in?" to "will I be pooled?" So, I see CooCooCachoo also has an offer from Cambridge. Anyone else in the dilemma of wich one to pick? I have friends at both this year but they're naturally biased. I'd like to hold out to see about colleges but I feel myself veering towards Oxford a little due to a slightly different course emphasis. Ahhh, decisions, decisions....
Reply 15
thanks for that offer probably not; that's super nice of you.

what subject are you in? how long after your initial offer did you hear from the college?
did you get funding from your college?
i'm reluctant to out myself as people have mentioned things i've mentioned online in my actual real academic life before (which has only ever been incredibly awkward), but i'm in a social science in a grad college. i got my initial offer in late march and my college offer in early may i think. i got funding from a research council so was never in the running for college funding.
probably not
i'm reluctant to out myself as people have mentioned things i've mentioned online in my actual real academic life before (which has only ever been incredibly awkward), but i'm in a social science in a grad college. i got my initial offer in late march and my college offer in early may i think. i got funding from a research council so was never in the running for college funding.

So are you enjoying the Oxford experience so far? Do you find you have enough time to have some fun? I'm slightly apprehensive about managing the workload!:erm:
i have plenty of fun, i just don't do enough work! i did my undergrad here as well so i guess my perspective is a bit different from what you'd get as a newcomer.
Reply 19
Ritualise123
So, I see CooCooCachoo also has an offer from Cambridge. Anyone else in the dilemma of wich one to pick? I have friends at both this year but they're naturally biased. I'd like to hold out to see about colleges but I feel myself veering towards Oxford a little due to a slightly different course emphasis. Ahhh, decisions, decisions....

I've got an offer from Cambridge as well. However, I'm already studying at Cambridge and know my proposed supervisor, so I've got something of an advantage. I did have to go through the blind decision last year though, so I know how you feel. My indecisiveness didn't help, to say the least!

If anyone wants to ask any general questions about Cambridge then fire away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending