The Student Room Group

What's the One Thing they don't tell you to pack...

I cant wait for September so I'm amusing myself with "What to take to Uni lists".

But .... Just for a laugh

Whats the One thing they DONT tell you you'll need ....

And like on a looong holiday when you forget that one very important thing !!

Be at your funniest.

Scroll to see replies

An extra bin for those hungover mornings when you just can't quite make it to the communal toilet..
Reply 2
oooo fun! i'm excited tooo!
Reply 3
4 things -
1) loads of coathangers and extra hooks over the door for all the fancy dress rubbish you accumulate
2) a plastic draining board in the kitchen to avoid (some of) the arguments about washing and drying up not being done
3) a plastic dryer/airer - that achieves 2 things - extra money for alcohol if you don't pay to dry your clothes and a lovely damp room
4) at least £1000 more than you think you could possibly ever ever need
More money. You will always need more money.
Reply 5
samanthaofficer
I cant wait for September so I'm amusing myself with "What to take to Uni lists".

But .... Just for a laugh

Whats the One thing they DONT tell you you'll need ....

And like on a looong holiday when you forget that one very important thing !!

Be at your funniest.

aha, me too! :p:
thought i'd post to subscribe, want to see the responses :grin:
Reply 6
egg cups. even if you dont like eggs. nobody brings them, be there to save the day when eggs are rolling around all about the place..
Reply 7
Condoms? :biggrin:
A bottle opener with a corkscrew on it. There will always be a time when someone buys a wine bottle with a cork on it, rather than a screw top, and you'll be going round room to room trying to find one!

Boxes. Underbed boxes. Any kind of box! You'll have little space, so finding places for everything is key.

If you're in HALLS and have a communal kitchen between like 15 or something (we did, but were catered), then get a mini fridge. I had an entire packet of philadelphia go missing in freshers week, and was forever losing milk/butter/etc. Also, I did my own washing up in my little room sink, because the one in halls was always minging... so bring your own plastic wash basin (also useful for when you don't reach the toilet... and it would have come in handy that time I threw up in my sink, but it wouldn't go.... EWWWW)
Lol, this isn't my idea, i read it somewhere...
I'm doing the same thing atm, starting to wodner what stuff i will need...

Item: A Traffic Cone

Reason: An interesting Conversation Starter
Reply 10
Earplugs in case your next door flatmate:

a) has sex at all hours of day and night
b) plays the same depressing radiohead song over and over again on full volume until you're convinced they're using it to mask the sounds of the knife on their wrists
c) invites round a bunch of friends that giggle like 12 year old girls until about 3am (did I mention they were all guys?)
d) spends at least one night a week hurling their guts up in their sink VERY loudly
linkdapink
A bottle opener with a corkscrew on it. There will always be a time when someone buys a wine bottle with a cork on it, rather than a screw top, and you'll be going round room to room trying to find one!

Boxes. Underbed boxes. Any kind of box! You'll have little space, so finding places for everything is key.

If you're in HALLS and have a communal kitchen between like 15 or something (we did, but were catered), then get a mini fridge. I had an entire packet of philadelphia go missing in freshers week, and was forever losing milk/butter/etc. Also, I did my own washing up in my little room sink, because the one in halls was always minging... so bring your own plastic wash basin (also useful for when you don't reach the toilet... and it would have come in handy that time I threw up in my sink, but it wouldn't go.... EWWWW)

Yes! We once had a corked bottle, we went at it with a pen knife, with a dirty screw (that's how desperate we were to open the wine) and any other small sharp implement we could find!

I recommend you take those little bags for change to use in the laundrette; I NEVER had enough 20p/50p/whatever coins. Start collecting now!
Reply 12
your mum.
hahah sorry immature i know i just couldnt resist!
Your school uniform (really!).
Reply 14
Basically, ( and especially if you like to share /get on with your flat mates) you can never have enough:
cling film
tin foil (also doubles as fancy dress item...)
DVDs
Fancy dress items
toilet roll (if yours isn't provided)
alcohol
tomato ketchup.

Extensive first aid kit and a corkscrew / bottle opener are also basic essentials, as are slippers / flip flops for grotty kitchen floors and bathrooms.
Plugboard.
Reply 16
definitely something to wear to a fancy dress party, and an outfit you can wear to fresher's ball.
Reply 17
MHorman
Lol, this isn't my idea, i read it somewhere...
I'm doing the same thing atm, starting to wodner what stuff i will need...

Item: A Traffic Cone

Reason: An interesting Conversation Starter

I found a traffic cone in freshers week. It ended up on my head, I'm not quite sure why...
King Pieb
I found a traffic cone in freshers week. It ended up on my head, I'm not quite sure why...

Lol, i went out 'on the town' with my 21 yr old brother the night before my grandad's 80th birthday.

Let's just say a traffic cone from the town, 5 miles walk away, ended up blocking the front door of the house when my entire extended family arrived at lunchtime, where was i? Still asleep upstairs, lol.
Bags and bags of sweets -To make friends and to comfort eat.
DVDs - especially if you're not taking a tv, you will get bored at some point!
shot glasses (can double up as egg cups if you're clever!)
washing powder
pictures to stick on the wall
white tack
plain paper
felt tip / sharpy pens

Quick Reply

Latest