The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
Neither are part of the University of London.

Duh. The poster said

"It's the only really mediocre uni in London"

- in London, not in the University of London. Bit different... :wink2:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Duh. The poster said

- in London, not in the University of London. Bit different... :wink2:

Well, it still might be the only mediocre uni if you're comparing London Met and UEL... :wink:
Reply 22
Original post by Wookie42
I've applied for that course too, good luck! :smile:

oh wow you're the first person on here who has said they've applied for the same course! is it your first chocie?
Reply 23
Original post by safwaansh
oh wow you're the first person on here who has said they've applied for the same course! is it your first chocie?

I know, IT courses in general aren't that popular anyway :smile:

Not sure really, I've got offers from Liverpool and Aberystwyth which are both attractive for different reasons. No idea though, they might not even give me an offer so we'll see :smile:
Reply 24
yeah.

areyou taking the exam on the 23rd?
Reply 25
Original post by d.az
areyou taking the exam on the 23rd?

nope. doing the june exam
Reply 26
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
Yeah, totally. London Met and the Uni of East London are miles ahead of us.

Spoiler

wtf I didn't even mention any othre unis :s-smilie:
Reply 27
nope. doing the june exam

kwwll gud luck.. im takin it :s-smilie: :s-smilie: :frown:
Reply 28
Original post by *Rouge*
It's the only really mediocre uni in London - it's got a good rep for subjects like Law, English etc - and it helps that its part of the uni of london

I'm a bit late on this but:

Unis better than QMUL in London:
Imperial
UCL
LSE
Kings (Outranked by QMUL in terms of research)

Unis worse than QMUL in London:
Brunel
City
UEL
Greenwich
Kingston
Goldsmiths
RHUL
London Met
London South Bank
Middlesex
Roehampton
TVU
Westminster

Not to mention the fact that QMUL is in the top 10/20 in the country for a good deal of it's subjects. God people speak so much ****e on this site at times. I wish people would do some ****ing research for once rather than being lazy ****es.
Reply 29
Original post by *Rouge*
It's the only really mediocre uni in London - it's got a good rep for subjects like Law, English etc - and it helps that its part of the uni of london

Unis better than QMUL in London (all of which are world class):
Imperial
UCL
LSE

Brunel
City
UEL
Greenwich
Kingston
Goldsmiths
RHUL
London Met
London South Bank
Middlesex
Roehampton
TVU
Westminster

Not to mention the fact that QMUL is in the top 10/20 in the country for a good deal of it's subjects. God people speak so much ****e on this site at times. I wish people would do some ****ing research for once rather than being lazy ****es.
Original post by *Rouge*
wtf I didn't even mention any othre unis :s-smilie:

You're not very intelligent are you..
That QM takes good people is evidenced by the fact Bubble and ajp - who both actually go there - are by far and away the only people in this thread making the slightest bit of sense.
Reply 32
Original post by Rancorous
That QM takes good people is evidenced by the fact Bubble and ajp - who both actually go there - are by far and away the only people in this thread making the slightest bit of sense.

Which is surprising as I was half cut when writing that. Lesson of the day: don't log onto the internet after a night out drinking.
Original post by ajp100688

Unis better than QMUL in London (all of which are world class):
Imperial
UCL
LSE

Brunel
City
UEL
Greenwich
Kingston
Goldsmiths
RHUL
London Met
London South Bank
Middlesex
Roehampton
TVU
Westminster

In most league tables including subject tables, RHUL is above QMUL and is ranked ahead of QMUL within UoL, not to mention SOAS being a better school and also include birbeck on your list as one of the lower schools
Reply 34
Original post by the_methodical
In most league tables including subject tables, RHUL is above QMUL and is ranked ahead of QMUL within UoL, not to mention SOAS being a better school and also include birbeck on your list as one of the lower schools

RHUL isn't. It's usually ranked roughly the same place as QMUL give or take five places above or below. It got beaten handily by QMUL in the RAE (#13 -> #24) and in most of QMUL's strengths (humanities and soc sci) it ranks above RHUL in subject tables.

SOAS is hard to rank, thats why I never included it. It's a strange place.
I'm a third year university student at Queen Mary studying Business and Management...
I know you probably would have wanted my opinion sooner but here it is anyway:
QM is awful. Maybe it is just the Business School but I have never known such a useless group in all my life.
It has a good reputation yes but I would seriously consider going somewhere else because they will only make it hard for you.
The administration NEVER get back to you. Deadlines are always wrong. Technology always fails (the lecturers never know how to do anything on a computer themselves). Lectures and seminars are cancelled with no notice which is a real pain in the arse if you commute into university (although they don't care). Lecturers regularly come in drunk or hungover. They're generally more interested in their research than their teaching programmes. Lecturers won't reply to your emails-you're more than likely to get an out of office reply.
Now I'm in my third year I thought I would have been given more guidance on what to do after I graduate however they don't let you know about any graduate fairs (even the ones held at the university) so you have to do it all yourself.
If you're very independent and think you can complete your course with little supervision and support then it's the university for you. But if I had known about how bad it was before I had joined I would have just done home/distant learning because I feel like I'm paying over £3000 per year just for them to do research.
Another thing to think about is NOT to rely on any league tables or student surveys. What many people on my course have done this year is fill in their surveys so that Queen Mary comes out in a good light purely because they're worried that if QM gets a bad reputation the value of our degrees will go down because employers will think less of them. So take everything you find with a pinch of salt...
It probably is just the Business School, but try and talk to as many students on your course before you join (and not on open days, the ones working on open days are being paid to say positive things about everything).

Good luck!
Reply 36
Does anyone know how good the department of electronic engineering is? the lectrures,facilities, people etc .
Reply 37
Original post by thomasawdry
I'm a third year university student at Queen Mary studying Business and Management...
I know you probably would have wanted my opinion sooner but here it is anyway:
QM is awful. Maybe it is just the Business School but I have never known such a useless group in all my life.
It has a good reputation yes but I would seriously consider going somewhere else because they will only make it hard for you.
The administration NEVER get back to you. Deadlines are always wrong. Technology always fails (the lecturers never know how to do anything on a computer themselves). Lectures and seminars are cancelled with no notice which is a real pain in the arse if you commute into university (although they don't care). Lecturers regularly come in drunk or hungover. They're generally more interested in their research than their teaching programmes. Lecturers won't reply to your emails-you're more than likely to get an out of office reply.
Now I'm in my third year I thought I would have been given more guidance on what to do after I graduate however they don't let you know about any graduate fairs (even the ones held at the university) so you have to do it all yourself.
If you're very independent and think you can complete your course with little supervision and support then it's the university for you. But if I had known about how bad it was before I had joined I would have just done home/distant learning because I feel like I'm paying over £3000 per year just for them to do research.
Another thing to think about is NOT to rely on any league tables or student surveys. What many people on my course have done this year is fill in their surveys so that Queen Mary comes out in a good light purely because they're worried that if QM gets a bad reputation the value of our degrees will go down because employers will think less of them. So take everything you find with a pinch of salt...
It probably is just the Business School, but try and talk to as many students on your course before you join (and not on open days, the ones working on open days are being paid to say positive things about everything).

Good luck!

Does sound like your department if anything. I havn't had a problem with deadlines or anything over two years and my inbox gets deluged with career nonsense even though I'm not even in my final year yet.
Original post by the_methodical

Agree :smile:

I really wanted to go RHUL but it is too far. QM was my firm for Business Management. I know a lot of people there but I think I would've liked the atmosphere at RHUL more. Ended up in Wasteminster :frown: Which is really easy to get to when transport is ****ty, it isn't too bad compared to worse uni's :smile:
Original post by myname2010
Does anyone know how good the department of electronic engineering is? the lectrures,facilities, people etc .

i applied for sustainable energy engineering and my friend went to the open day of the university for the engineering department...he sed the facilities looked good and the people were friendly ...he found it better than city university...apparently one of the negatives of QM is the area ...its apprently not that nice but the uni is good...either way im still most probably putting QM as my first choice :smile: