The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpiritedAway
I know we have a couple of teachers on here, so let's here your guys opinions on this:

My brother is not exactly a model student. He's now in year 10, he's been in and out of trouble since day one, never done any homework, he just did not understand anything outside of science and maths no matter how much me and my mum tried to explain it to him (he has dyslexia and dyspraxia). Anyway, my mum went into a meeting with the school and decided to force homework upon him, and that was about 2 months ago. 95% of the time, he does it. Anyway, the day before yesterday he comes home with two detentions; one because he got less than 50% in his French vocab test and another because he did his Geography homework wrong. He came home upset because he said he tried and the Geography teacher mocked his work in front of the class and said "it wasn't good enough". He tried to go to his head of year who said he should have asked if he didn't understand the homework, but, obviously, he didn't know that he hadn't understood the teacher's instructions properly. My mum banned him from doing either and made her thoughts clear to the school, and the school still kept him behind.

Then my little sister came home upset saying that the same French teacher gave her a warning (just before they get detentions - bare in mind that she is a suck up at school, and above all, has only just started high school) because she had a ruler in her hand. Baring in mine the school told my mum that the school no longer did warning and this is why my brother got a straight detention for "doing his homework wrong".

I just wanted to know what you guys think. Me and my mum think they're being a bit power hungry, I mean, hundreds of kids must do their homework wrong all the time, surely this is not a punishable thing?

We're primary teachers, so it's not quite the same, but I'll still give my opinion anyway:

Your brother: I think it's harsh that the teachers give detentions for work not being good enough/wrong (fair enough, if they had been told to write a page and had only written a paragraph), as well as being told that their work isn't good enough in front of the class. BUT (and I'm not supporting what the teachers have done by any means) they could be doing it cos of his previous record of doing homework and things. However, if he's been better recently, they should take that into account too. I guess it would also be good to find out whether he seems to be the main/only one that this happens to, or whether a lot of other children get this sort of treatment. It wouldn't happen in primary like that tho.

Your sister: the warning seems unnecessarily harsh. Is she in Yr 7? It COULD be that the teacher is trying to get the 'no one messes about in my class' across, to assert her authority (again, not saying I support it!). Is it the same teacher? It could be that s/he knows what your brother has been like, and feels that she needs to be careful.
Original post by *Interrobang*
We're primary teachers, so it's not quite the same, but I'll still give my opinion anyway:

Your brother: I think it's harsh that the teachers give detentions for work not being good enough/wrong (fair enough, if they had been told to write a page and had only written a paragraph), as well as being told that their work isn't good enough in front of the class. BUT (and I'm not supporting what the teachers have done by any means) they could be doing it cos of his previous record of doing homework and things. However, if he's been better recently, they should take that into account too. I guess it would also be good to find out whether he seems to be the main/only one that this happens to, or whether a lot of other children get this sort of treatment. It wouldn't happen in primary like that tho.

Your sister: the warning seems unnecessarily harsh. Is she in Yr 7? It COULD be that the teacher is trying to get the 'no one messes about in my class' across, to assert her authority (again, not saying I support it!). Is it the same teacher? It could be that s/he knows what your brother has been like, and feels that she needs to be careful.

Yeah, I knew things would be different in schools, but I just wanted your opinions as teachers.

And yes, my sister is year 7 and the same teacher. That's what I thought, maybe they're starting of super strict just to break them into secondary school, but I also have this overhanging thought that because they're siblings, she'll assume that my sister is just like my brother.
Yeah, I knew things would be different in schools, but I just wanted your opinions as teachers.

And yes, my sister is year 7 and the same teacher. That's what I thought, maybe they're starting of super strict just to break them into secondary school, but I also have this overhanging thought that because they're siblings, she'll assume that my sister is just like my brother.

Well hopefully in the coming weeks, as you say your sister is really well behaved and stuff, the teachers will all realise that and not treat her the same. But obviously if it carries on (if you/she/your mum feel like she's being singled out) then it would definitely be something to bring up to the head teacher.
I think so.

I mean I don't condone what my brother has done at all, my mum might blame his dyslexia/dyspraxia on everything but I think he's made himself a bad name and now he's laying in his bed he's made. I just think that that was a bit too far.
I think so.

I mean I don't condone what my brother has done at all, my mum might blame his dyslexia/dyspraxia on everything but I think he's made himself a bad name and now he's laying in his bed he's made. I just think that that was a bit too far.

I agree too
Original post by 22KT22
You're back :jumphug: Hows you?

Original post by *Interrobang*
Welcome back :smile:

Oh I always watch and stalk you guys :h:

I'm good, just moved into my new house - it's so lovely and I love my room and I'm happy :h:
That's good to know :smile:

I know we have a couple of teachers on here, so let's here your guys opinions on this:

My brother is not exactly a model student. He's now in year 10, he's been in and out of trouble since day one, never done any homework, he just did not understand anything outside of science and maths no matter how much me and my mum tried to explain it to him (he has dyslexia and dyspraxia). Anyway, my mum went into a meeting with the school and decided to force homework upon him, and that was about 2 months ago. 95% of the time, he does it. Anyway, the day before yesterday he comes home with two detentions; one because he got less than 50% in his French vocab test and another because he did his Geography homework wrong. He came home upset because he said he tried and the Geography teacher mocked his work in front of the class and said "it wasn't good enough". He tried to go to his head of year who said he should have asked if he didn't understand the homework, but, obviously, he didn't know that he hadn't understood the teacher's instructions properly. My mum banned him from doing either and made her thoughts clear to the school, and the school still kept him behind.

Then my little sister came home upset saying that the same French teacher gave her a warning (just before they get detentions - bare in mind that she is a suck up at school, and above all, has only just started high school) because she had a ruler in her hand. Baring in mine the school told my mum that the school no longer did warning and this is why my brother got a straight detention for "doing his homework wrong".

I just wanted to know what you guys think. Me and my mum think they're being a bit power hungry, I mean, hundreds of kids must do their homework wrong all the time, surely this is not a punishable thing?

It's one of the things that is pressured upon us, don't embarrass a pupil infront of their classmates, so I'm pretty shocked to hear that happening to your brother. I suppose maybe the teacher thought it wouldn't offend him so maybe they misread the siuation. The detention for the vocab test doesn't make sense to me, especially if he struggles with it anyway. I'd query that, for sure. You're supposed to support those who don't achieve not punish them. And it sounds like they're just riding on his past history and homework when it comes to the Geography issue which is unfortunate but is a consequence of what's happened before. Are the school under pressure from a looking OFSTED inspection, maybe? That might be why they're being so tight.
Wow congrats on the 1 year :smile:

Thank you! :biggrin: It seems like its gone so quick, but then so slow..

Whats been going on whilst ive been away? how is everyone?
Spent the day in Leeds and I'm already a little bit in love with the city. It's been ages since I've lived in a proper big city when I'm away from home (Sheffield, Oxford, Coventry are all rather small town type cities) so Leeds will hopefully make me very happy.

I have found a house that I love. Haven't met the current people in it but the agent has forwarded all the paperwork anyway so will send that back tomorrow...fingers crossed it will be mine. It's so beautiful. Massive semi-detached with a garden full of apple trees and rhubarb, the room is a lovely big double bedroom at the front downstairs with a bay window and high ceilings. I will cry if it gets taken away from me!
Well fingers crossed if you get it then :smile: (and we shall certainly have to have a meet when you're in Leeds :teeth:)
Oh heck.

Just got a text from one of my housemates (Dave). He is now going our with Victoria. Who happens to be my other housemate's (Danny's) ex girlfriend - they went out in first year and broke up after 6 months, then went out again this year, and again split up after 6 months, just before summer. Both breakups invoked a very heartbroken Danny

I did kinda see this happening, but am not looking forward to the aftermath when Danny finds out. I'd like to think that he'll be find, but I fear that it'll totally mess up the dynamic of our house. I'm really close to both of them, it'll be really difficult if I get stuck in between.

It's also going to potentially make socializing very awkward as we're all part of the same friendship group.
So you live with both Dave and Danny? That could be awkward, sorry :frown:
Especially when V starts coming around a lot. I think you shouldn't get stuck in the middle at all, just be nice to everyone. But maybe talk to Dave and tell him that they only broke up a bit ago (3 months is not really much) and that you would think it nicer if V doesn't come around the whole time right away, but they kinda ease into it. It probably wouldn't help Danny if he sees his ex in her PJs the first day he gets back or whatever.
Eek, fingers crossed he's alright with it (or at least cools off when he gets used to it). But ultimately, I agree with Sabrina, just be nice to everyone and don't pick a side.
Luckily, I don't think V or Dave are the type to go for sleepovers straight away (the whole time she was with Danny, V only stayed over twice).

I'm just hoping that they tell Danny before we get back, to give him some time to get used to it.
[QUOTE='Flo[ProActiv];34043435']Oh heck.

Just got a text from one of my housemates (Dave). He is now going our with Victoria. Who happens to be my other housemate's (Danny's) ex girlfriend - they went out in first year and broke up after 6 months, then went out again this year, and again split up after 6 months, just before summer. Both breakups invoked a very heartbroken Danny

I did kinda see this happening, but am not looking forward to the aftermath when Danny finds out. I'd like to think that he'll be find, but I fear that it'll totally mess up the dynamic of our house. I'm really close to both of them, it'll be really difficult if I get stuck in between.

It's also going to potentially make socializing very awkward as we're all part of the same friendship group.

Oh heck that is a confusing situation!
When are they going to tell Danny? I think they need to asap!
Original post by Jellybean91
I'm literally only typing this as revenge for my roommate right now who AGAIN at 4 am stumbled in and sat on her laptop for over an hour... this is probably like the 5th day in a row i've been woken up by her and i'm (excuse my french) ****ing sick of it. So now its my turn to wake her up hitting my keys pretty much as hard as i can!!! I'm fed up of being the broken record who tells her to turn her damn laptop off every night it actually sucks!!!! I shouldn't have to keep saying it!! I'd never do something like that if i came in while she was asleep so why is it ok for her to do it to me?? urghhh /rant.

:hugs: i was hoping that it would settle down after settling in but obviously not :frown: it's not on - it's unfair on you
Jelly - continue to tell her. If she does it again, start setting alarms for like, 7am. And even when you're awake, press the snooze button :colonhash:
Original post by Jellybean91
damn i couldnt rate that... but if she goes out tonight thats my plan :biggrin: i like this plan :biggrin:

Can't wait to move out of here!

When I live(d) with my noisey housemates I knew they wouldnt wake up until like 2pm, so if the'd p'd me off with their loud noises etc late at night i'd turn my music on full at roughly 9am, and continue to play it loud. When i'd had enough of that i'd go into the kitchen, make a noise, watch loud TV...then head out around 1 and slam the doors.
It works!
Jelly - continue to tell her. If she does it again, start setting alarms for like, 7am. And even when you're awake, press the snooze button :colonhash:

I love this idea!

Latest