The Student Room Group

Anyone going Birkbeck Uni?

Any students attending Birkbeck, University of London?
What is it like?

I'm starting Psychology this year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Are you a mature student? I've got an offer to study History (full time) at Birkbeck but I'm under 21 and not sure whether to accept it.
Reply 2
Original post by RA23
Are you a mature student? I've got an offer to study History (full time) at Birkbeck but I'm under 21 and not sure whether to accept it.

NO!! I'm 18 :smile: I know that the area is pretty good, but I hope it isn't mature students only. That would be so ...... :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I studied there this year, whilst I was the youngest at 20 (I stress that was on a foundation degree for housing with people wanting to change careers) - this year is going to be different because I think the majority of full time undergrads are going to be under 21. I'm 21 in 8 days and I'm doing History part time (so I may see you there, RA23!). So I can't comment on the history - just changed from Housing to History, I've been told it's really fantastic though. I got my place through interview and my interviewer said the social situation is definately going to be different because they opened up part time (and added more full time) to those leaving sixth/college.

I can tell you that we have a lovely library and we can also use the other UoL libraries like UCL, LSE ect through SCONUL as well as others. Senate house depends on your department, but you can pay 80 per year to get access. We also get ULU access too. I think F/T stuff still might be taught in the evening, I'm not sure but I think it's 3/4 evenings a week for F/T. There's the George Birkbeck bar, which I haven't used personally so I can't say much. And basically last year my classes were in LSE's buildings near Aldwych - which was pretty cool.

But yeah, the usual stuff like societies and what not exist but I honestly couldn't tell you about how full time will work. I hope I've been some help though!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I hope I'm not isolated and that's why I'm having second thoughts about going there. Thanks for your help lisajanexo.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Glad I could be some help, I was never going to be much help as I only spent one evening a week there instead of the 2/3 that I'll be spending this year. I do rate the teaching staff though, everyone is so helpful. I really do think it'll be a mix - the only way to tell is the induction weeks.
Reply 6
I'm going to Birkbeck!!

I'm doing a full-time Philosophy BA course, and I'm 19. I took a gap year to do a retake so, yeah I wouldn't call myself a mature student haha.

I'm really nervous too, and I'm scared about how evenings will work out but at the end of the day, it's the university of london and I can't imagine there's a university out there that makes everyone feel lonely!! Oh and I don't know anyone else going/who's there so I'm very nervous
Reply 7
Just got an academic transfer from kent into the second year of the Law LLB full time degree. I'm 21 years old (not too old I hope), and I've been looking all over to see if anything's happening for freshers week, so far I've been out of luck. But this thread gives me some hope that its not all going to be mature students :biggrin:
Original post by Emstar1892
I'm going to Birkbeck!!

I'm doing a full-time Philosophy BA course, and I'm 19. I took a gap year to do a retake so, yeah I wouldn't call myself a mature student haha.

I'm really nervous too, and I'm scared about how evenings will work out but at the end of the day, it's the university of london and I can't imagine there's a university out there that makes everyone feel lonely!! Oh and I don't know anyone else going/who's there so I'm very nervous

I'm 19 and I'm starting my BA English degree there :biggrin: don't worry your not alone, there's going to be lots of u21 students and I spent last year doing an access style course at Birkbeck. The people there are really friendly and easy going, their library is great and evening study is really enjoyable.. beats waking up early :P
Reply 9
Im starting at Birkbeck this year..in three weeks actually to do history and archaeology and hoping at 21 I'm not going to be the youngest. I'm really nervous and scared about meeting everyone at the induction but sooo excited for the course! :smile: Can't wait!
Reply 10
I'm going Birkbeck! Anyone doing BA Management (UG)???
Reply 11
Starting LLB Law this October. I'm 22.
Reply 12
Not decided if I'm going yet but possibly doing History (Full Time)! Starting on the 3rd. I'm 23. Seeing this thread has made me even more likely to accept their offer and go as I too was worried about how many undergraduates would be there!

p.s. How many of you guys got accommodation from the Uni?
Reply 13
Depending on the course and timetabling, you could be in Birkbeck buildings or any of the UoL associated buildings (which includes SOAS, UCL etc). During the day SOAS also use some of the Birkbeck classrooms and lecture halls. So there are plenty of under 21 year olds around. Although I haven't noticed anyone waving their age flag around. :smile:

If that is not enough, pop over to ULU, they have groups and societys that you can join. Birkbeck freshers fare is rather more low key than UCL, there should be events over this week.

Venture to the basement of the Malet Street building and visit the student union shop, I think it is still the cheapest for tea/coffee compared with all the Costa Coffee outlets in the UoL colleges.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bueno93
Any students attending Birkbeck, University of London?
What is it like?

I'm starting Psychology this year.

hey, im thinking of doing psychology at Birkbeck next year, how are you finding it?
Reply 15
Original post by Jessica_94
hey, im thinking of doing psychology at Birkbeck next year, how are you finding it?

It's really good so far, I like it :wink:
Hey guys, I've just applied for Birckbeck's Management with Accounting (Foundation Degree) - 2013 entry ...uhm.. is anyone else going there ? I'm quite positive they might accept me, I'm coming from previous higher education and have extra good scores/marks .....
I'm new here ..so hi :smile: *shy*
I do Psychology at Birkbeck. Did Counselling last year. love this place.

I'm also the President of the Psychology & Self-Development Society, so let me know if you want to be around people who share a passion for matters of the mind, subjective or objective ;-)

Darren
Reply 18
Hi I'm considering applying to Birkbeck for BA Creative Writing starting September 2012 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions/information on the course or university itself?

The module listing looks really interesting and I'm loving the idea of evening study as I've been doing an Access Course this year and the majority of my classes have been in the afternoon/evening.

The only thing that's daunting me is the fact that part time students don't get any maintenance grants/loans and that will make paying rent a bit tricky :s
(edited 12 years ago)
I hold a conditional offer for BSc Business (3 years, full-time) for courses starting October 2012. I am 21 years old. I am an international student. Anyone else in this course (who is a non-mature student)? If you don't mind, can anyone please tell me how good is Birkbeck's current lecturers, the standard of teaching, average age of undergraduate students, extra-curricular activities that can boost my CV?

Quick Reply

Latest