The Student Room Group

Politics/IR/Government Applicant Stalking Page 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by strawberryjellybaby
Yeah, I have 6A*s 4As and 4As at AS and 3A* prediction but no offer :frown:

I don't think you need to worry about grades! they're near perfect. I'm sure an offer's waiting! Do you think you're going to firm Durham?
Reply 141
Got an offer to Birmingham (AAA) yesterday.
I was pretty surprised because my predicted grades are around AAB~ABB in Finnish system.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 142
anyone applied for PAIS at Warwick??
Original post by Izzy_h
I don't think you need to worry about grades! they're near perfect. I'm sure an offer's waiting! Do you think you're going to firm Durham?

Most probably. Since getting pooled then rejected from Cambridge, Durham is probably going to be first, especially if I get Hatfield as my college. If I get 2A*s or more in the summer I will probably be reapplying anyway.
Original post by spyrocoupe
Course: IR w/ french (exception with UEA, just IR)
AS grades: BBCC
Predicted grades: AAB
Applied to:
Exeter, AAB
Sussex, AAB/A*BB (OFFER)
UEA, ABB (OFFER)
Kent, ABB (OFFER)
Essex, BBB

update: offers from both exeter and essex now! :biggrin:
Reply 145
Unconditional offer from City London! :biggrin:
Reply 146
UCL Politics and Eastern European Studies Offer AAB
Reply 147
Original post by Jack3107

Rejected after interview from Oxford too:frown:
Reply 148
Unconditional Offer from Loughborough for IR!
Original post by Jack3107

Ah, really well done! I'm still waiting <_<
Reply 150
Unconditional to Aberdeen for IR with German :biggrin:
How many of you have done History for A-level?

....I didn't even do it for GCSE :/ Potentially at a disadvantage for IR.
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!

I wouldnt say so. I do IR now and there are some people who aren't really interested in History at all. The most History I have done has been in my elective modules- the ones where I chose what to do, as I chose History. As long as you have a basic understand of whats happened since 1945 you should be fine.
Original post by jelly1000
I wouldnt say so. I do IR now and there are some people who aren't really interested in History at all. The most History I have done has been in my elective modules- the ones where I chose what to do, as I chose History. As long as you have a basic understand of whats happened since 1945 you should be fine.

Er, people got a bit sad....then, everyone starting wearing flares....then, er, some superhero called the Iron Lady came along and did....stuff. Then, that's it.

Just kidding, I do have a sound knowledge so it's all good :biggrin:
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!

I did History GCSE and not A-Level. Although IR is pretty historical you only really need to know World War stuff in my opinion. That being said, what I learned at GCSE History has helped me in understanding bits of IR, but that's not to say you will be disadvantaged by not having it. Pretty much every bit of history you need will be taught to you anyway...
Reply 155
Original post by You!Me!Dancing!
I did History GCSE and not A-Level. Although IR is pretty historical you only really need to know World War stuff in my opinion. That being said, what I learned at GCSE History has helped me in understanding bits of IR, but that's not to say you will be disadvantaged by not having it. Pretty much every bit of history you need will be taught to you anyway...

I applied to Sheffield but to do Politics only rather than with IR just because I thought IR would include much more history than Politics on it's own would... Am I right in thinking that!? :s-smilie:
Original post by Campsa
I applied to Sheffield but to do Politics only rather than with IR just because I thought IR would include much more history than Politics on it's own would... Am I right in thinking that!? :s-smilie:

In order to answer your question thoroughly, I should explain how there is hardly any difference between the Politics and IR course at Sheffield.

There is one core module difference in first year - with IR students doing Security Studies and Politics having to do British Politics. The former wasn't available when I started so I can't comment on context, and British politics is barely historical (involves bits of British economic and political history post-WW2 onwards). You'll have to do History of Western Political Thought in first year though, which covers some core political philosophers from Plato to Machiavelli, so that would be historical and you do have to understand the context in which they were writing in.

Second year IR students have to do IR Theory, which does involve a bit of international history (as you have to understand the world before you can really evaluate the theories) and Politics students do Modern Political Thought, which is more contemporary political philosophy, so I guess history would also be needed there.

I should probably note that, as either a Politics or IR student, you can take the module that is compulsory for the other degree as well, hence how there is barely any difference in content...

So I'd say both of them have the same amount of 'history' in them, as they're pretty similar, and you'll be learning 'historical' stuff (either IR or Philosophy). I personally loathe History, but you will have to suck it up and learn bits and bobs of political/economic/international history, but nothing too specific or detailed. I hope that helps, 'history' is a pretty broad thing after all :smile:
Reply 157
offer from sheffield today wahooo :biggrin: just waiting on edinburgh and durham now!
offer from warwick today.
Original post by strawberryjellybaby
offer from warwick today.

for pais? nice, got me worried now :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest