The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Original post by anwar1808
I got an offer from SOAS and Manchester for Economics & Politics. Which should I choose?

What's most important to you? Have you looked at the course structures for each university? Manchester, being larger, has a much wider range of modules in both Economics and Politics.
Original post by jonobebe
poly

Then you went to army right?
Well, duh. That's a stupid question.
Reply 3102
Hmm just wondering..what are your plans from now till september? A good 6 months plus to go!
Reply 3103
Hi guys! Anyone going to the UK for foundation courses?
Reply 3104
Original post by whitelily29
Then you went to army right?
Well, duh. That's a stupid question.

What are u doing now? working?
Original post by jonobebe
What are u doing now? working?

Yuppp, just giving tuition. I did mention that I took a gap year right?
I can't wait to study. I feel so weird not studying for so long.
Reply 3106

Start on the reading list for your course la ^^;
Reply 3107
Original post by perpend

I'm starting to read on one of them, gosh it is difficult!:eek:
Reply 3108
Yuppp, just giving tuition. I did mention that I took a gap year right?

Yep, i'm spending my gap year reading up on materials on my course and taking part time enrichment lessons. but i feel so bored everyday... there's really nothing much to do here now...

Have your uni package arrived?
Original post by perpend

Alternatively, you can rest and slack as much as you can before the actual course begins in September :biggrin:. That's what I'm doing... Trying to be as bored as possible so that when I reach uni, I will be super motivated to study.
Original post by perpend
What's most important to you? Have you looked at the course structures for each university? Manchester, being larger, has a much wider range of modules in both Economics and Politics.

Reputation wise in general?
Reply 3111
Is Manchester's reputation in uk good? I don't know if the league table is a good way to gauge how reputable the school is. I'm torn between faculty's reputation and the school's reputation itself.
Original post by coshios
Is Manchester's reputation in uk good? I don't know if the league table is a good way to gauge how reputable the school is. I'm torn between faculty's reputation and the school's reputation itself.

What course are you interested in?
Reply 3113
Original post by bpbp
I'm starting to read on one of them, gosh it is difficult!:eek:

Yea I'm finding it hard to understand maths at uni level just by reading the text, I imagine it's the same for physics. Hope you're having fun anyway :smile:

Original post by ofssinfoxes
Alternatively, you can rest and slack as much as you can before the actual course begins in September :biggrin:. That's what I'm doing... Trying to be as bored as possible so that when I reach uni, I will be super motivated to study.

That's an interesting way to think about it! I find the time between ORD and when uni starts is the best time to really reflect on life thus far. I feel like I won't have the time and energy to do that for a long time after uni starts :s-smilie:

Original post by anwar1808
Reputation wise in general?

I'm not sure, simply because it produces so many more graduates a year Manchester is probably the uni that more in Singapore have heard of. But from what I've read here SOAS is also very well-respected, especially if you're interested in the subjects as applied to Asia. And SOAS is part of the University of London, so I'm guessing that lends it quite a bit of reputation.
Reply 3114
Original post by iamlovinit05
What course are you interested in?

Aerospace or mechanical engineering. Done a little research and Manchester doesnt seem to be a good place to be for that field of study. Schools like Southampton, sheffield or bristol though ranked nowhere close to Manchester internationally, but in terms of engineering they are far better. How should i go about choosing my school? :smile:
Reply 3115
Hi guys,

may I get some opinion on Bristol vs Nottingham for economics please? thanks!
Woah i didn't know here got kopitiam! anyone going lse?? and those that just got their alevels results ytd haha hope you guys are happy with your results!
Original post by coshios
Aerospace or mechanical engineering. Done a little research and Manchester doesnt seem to be a good place to be for that field of study. Schools like Southampton, sheffield or bristol though ranked nowhere close to Manchester internationally, but in terms of engineering they are far better. How should i go about choosing my school? :smile:

It depends on the country you want to work in. if u intend to come back to singapore to work, then choose a uni that has a good rep here.
Bristol's pretty well known here as well.
I might be doing finance and econs at manchester. Rep's pretty decent for that course.
Original post by perpend

That's an interesting way to think about it! I find the time between ORD and when uni starts is the best time to really reflect on life thus far. I feel like I won't have the time and energy to do that for a long time after uni starts :s-smilie:

Precisely. For me, I will be doing a ton of work experience and internships during my school holidays (to graduate, more than anything), so this period of time is my last long holiday before I retire. Sad story. :redface:
Reply 3119
Original post by Irenicis
Hi guys,

may I get some opinion on Bristol vs Nottingham for economics please? thanks!

go bristol!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending