The Student Room Group

Woman beaten to death in America for wearing a hijab

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Love4All
I hate White People, i bet they are the one who killed her.

i know u guys r gonna neg me, but i don't care whatsoever and don't bother quoting me.

this thread was created to draw attention to a heinous act not for people like you to spread you ignorance. hate mongers like you have no place in a civilised society.
Reply 41
Original post by joey11223
That is a good point. I think often the niqab* can be quite intimidating to people to be honest, occasionally we'll have a group of women come in with them on and people do look. I suppose it's unnerving as you can't see their face at all and with some of them, you can't even see their eyes because the slit has netting over it. It alienates them from society completely. You don't know if you should engage in conversation or not? Saying that I have never heard them speak in English, so I'm not sure the ones who shop at our store even could hold a conversation.

I think the standard headscarf is a much better compromise. People are fine with a women just covering her head but showing her face. It seems unnecessary to wear these black robes with totally cover you and make you stand out against the society of the country you have moved to. It isn't difficult to wear a dark long sleeve top, with another layer over that, say a jumper. Then a long loose skirt which goes right down to the ankles, then a headscarf. That makes them fit with people around much more easily but still allows them to cover up, if that's what their faith teaches they must do. I'm pretty certain it asks them to dress modestly, which can be done easily with normal clothing. I'm pretty sure covering the whole face is not necessary and so just the headscarf should be fine.

* For anyone in the know, can anyone clear up which term means what?

Are niqab and burka the same thing? When I google them I get the same images of women in black robes and their face covered, though the burka seems to show more images of even the eyes covered by mesh. Is their a term for just wearing a headscarf which does not cover the whole face?

I am not a muslim... but all my best friends are. They all ware a head scarf and i am completley at ease with them but if i too get nervious to be in the same bus with a gang of women who wear hajab. partly because they r so misterious..and i just do feel comfatable. and the fact that they dont talk english doesnt help...
Reply 42
But this did get me thinking... Have you ever seen a hindu terriorest?? or a Buddiest terrioust? Perhaps that is the reason why people are so prejudis towards muslims....
Reply 43
On the bright side, at least she's with allah now.
Original post by meggs
But this did get me thinking... Have you ever seen a hindu terriorest?? or a Buddiest terrioust? Perhaps that is the reason why people are so prejudis towards muslims....

yes! Mr ling who used to live next door to me. Every time my dog even looked at his cat he cooked some kind of evil Chinese food knowing the smell would go straight in through my window and make me feel sick! He terrorized me for years!!

little bastard.....
Original post by kingsholmmad
Totally agree. However, it works both ways. I can't help wondering whether any education has been done about the necessity of wearing niqabs and the like. Most religions don't require specific garments because they're all about what's going on in the head and the heart. If Islam is about what's going on in the wardrobe, it's not much of a religion.

To put it another way, God knows how I feel whatever I'm wearing, He certainly doesn't want me to wear something that's going to cause tension. If Allah can only be with Moslems when they're wearing the right clothes, that's a pretty weak relationship and not one worth pursuing. If Allah doesn't need their uniform, why are they so insistent on it?

Moslems should certainly have the right to wear niqabs but they (male and female) need to have a better understanding of the damage they can cause by enforcing that right and should be better educated about the fact that not enforcing that right doesn't make them a bad person.

Dude that's why priests/nuns/rabbis/muslims dress the way they do...

A dress code is associated with all religions not just Islam, but unless it is offensive - why should anyone care what people wear. If I choose to cover my hair with a hijab - then that's my business. How does that cause 'damage' in any way :s-smilie:

I personally don't understand the point of the niqab, but if someone wants to wear it than it's their life, their body and their choices (although don't think it should be allowed in some professions such as Medicine - wouldn't want to talk to a doctor with everything but their eyes covered up. But that's not because it offends me, it's because it affects the way they do their job - I just wouldn't feel comfortable communicating personal stuff in that sort of situation).

Also it's not the garment that's causing the tension - it's rather laughable how you can place the woman's appearance as the cause of friction rather than at the small percentage of society being so intolerant and small minded. And the 'damage' they can cause, errrm looks like she was the victim here rather than the bringer of destruction...:rolleyes:

Also lol, 'uniform'- you make Islam sound like a militant religion.
Original post by meggs

I'm 100% against terrorism but why don't people wonder why it exists? People aren't born terrorists, they get made into terrorists by their environment and desperate situation. Try and think how much emotional turmoil someone needs to go through to decide to choose such a destructive life.

Like the recent news in Afganistan about how a soldier killed innocent civilians (and surprise surprise they claimed insanity :rolleyes:), would you really be surprised if there is a retribution? It all starts somewhere.

But I still think it is wrong, you can't fight terrorism with terrorism. And in the end, it's mostly civilians who die.
Reply 47
A weird contrast from her home-land of Saudi Arabia, where women are beaten to death for NOT wearing a niqab, but a tragic loss of life none the less.
Reply 48
Original post by hackmodule
On the bright side, at least she's with allah now.

Don't 99% of all women, even muslims go to hell according to Islam?

Not appropriate but I had to ask.
Reply 49
Original post by MaceyThe
A weird contrast from her home-land of Saudi Arabia, where women are beaten to death for NOT wearing a niqab, but a tragic loss of life none the less.

She was from Iraq apparently.
Very sad.
Reply 51
Original post by Iqbal007
You disgust me, someone has died here because of an obvious hate crime.
This is not acceptable whatever group it may be against, there's a person/people out there who committed this crime and they are free to attack others.

Come on, female muslims die on daily base, for NOT wearing headscarf. And we dont hear about them either.
Reply 52
Original post by Kalb
Come on, female muslims die on daily base, for NOT wearing headscarf. And we dont hear about them either.

People die everyday, I haven't of those stories ever..........this story should deserve media coverage because essentially it shows that attacking Muslims because of there faith is ok among some.
The reason this should be highlighted furthermore is the hate crime which is occurring in the USA which is supposed to be a tolerant society.
Reply 53
People die everyday, I haven't of those stories ever..........this story should deserve media coverage because essentially it shows that attacking Muslims because of there faith is ok among some.
The reason this should be highlighted furthermore is the hate crime which is occurring in the USA which is supposed to be a tolerant society.

oh i see, so because they are muslim they deserve media attention.
Reply 54
Original post by Kalb
oh i see, so because they are muslim they deserve media attention.

Did I say that.....oh know I did not, you sure like to twist things.

I'm just highlighting that this thing is a highly important topic considering the increasing amount of hate towards Muslim's society, someone needs to speak out don't they.
Reply 55
Original post by translucent
^most of the post above are from muslims :lol:
nice to see you all get in the band-wagon when it's someone muslim being attacked, that news story was on an american website it seems like OP hit gold with this article. Your no better then the 'sex gang muslim' threads, your equally as narrow-minded and deluded :redface:

from Muslims...? :confused:
Original post by meggs

First of all,I don't know what a "terrioust" is.Secondly, I've never heard of the "Buddiest" terrorists, mainly because that faith doesn't exist. I have however heard of Buddhist terrorists

https://encrypted.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Buddhist+terrorists

and Hindu terrorists
https://encrypted.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Hindu+terrorists

Also, it gives me some comfort that the people most prejudiced against Muslims, are those that the education system has clearly failed
Original post by MaceyThe

Iraq has no such laws

Original post by Chloe xxx
Don't 99% of all women, even muslims go to hell according to Islam?

Not true. You get judged on your actions
Reply 58
Did I say that.....oh know I did not, you sure like to twist things.

I'm just highlighting that this thing is a highly important topic considering the increasing amount of hate towards Muslim's society, someone needs to speak out don't they.

No, the only reason you do all this outcry is because she was killed by a non muslims. If she was killed in honour killings you would not have cared.
Reply 59
Original post by Kalb
No, the only reason you do all this outcry is because she was killed by a non muslims. If she was killed in honour killings you would not have cared.

So your telling me the reasons behind my post.....when your not me nor do you know my reasons are either.
Also you can check some of these honour killing posts and you'll see that I am against it and have posted on it.
Your not very bright are you....

Quick Reply

Latest