The Student Room Group

HMRC Tax Professional Programme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by novadragon849
Yeah I know, I feel for those in Ireland that get through and the only option is Belfast. Unless its a massive office I can see some disappointment from people that got a offer but is not willing to completely relocate.

I'm surprised they don't have one in Dublin? But anyway...

Is anyone out there no longing considering the HMRC graduate programme because of the long wait so they took another grad scheme? I know a few people that had to do so because of the May 11th reply and they already received a offer elsewhere which need a reply promptly!

I don't know what use a UK Tax office would be in a non UK country tbh :smile:
Reply 541
Being a nirish candidate also sucks in terms of no travel expenses... flights aren't cheap (although neither are trains really...)

Speaking of which.. does anyone know how strict the 'be here by 7pm' is? My flight gets in at 7.30... :colondollar:
Tax professional? You mean professional thief!
There is a short 10 minute briefing at 7.15 followed by dinner so I wouldnt worry too much if you're not hungry :P
Original post by HMRCHOPEFUL
I don't know what use a UK Tax office would be in a non UK country tbh :smile:

Ahhh! My bad! Sound like a right dumbass! Forgot about the split in Republic and Northern :biggrin:
Reply 545
Original post by mwiko
Being a nirish candidate also sucks in terms of no travel expenses... flights aren't cheap (although neither are trains really...)

Speaking of which.. does anyone know how strict the 'be here by 7pm' is? My flight gets in at 7.30... :colondollar:

I was in the same boat mwiko. No big deal, just let them know beforehand that you'll be late and its fine. Think I landed at Birmingham airport closer to 8pm, had to get a shuttle from airport to Birmingham train station, then train to Coventry, then bus out to Warwick - total cost roughly a fiver (excl plane of course!). Probably got to Warwick at around 9.30pm (although I was lucky that I got to the bus stop just as one arrived going to the Uni). Otherwise it'll cost about £31 to get a taxi direct from the Airport to Uni at Warwick, which is dear enough after you've paid to fly accross the pond!

Good Luck.
Hi again,

I kn ow my question is the numerical analysis anything like what we did at the regional assessment centre and the answer was no not really, I'm still lost.

Anyone?

x
Reply 547
Original post by luwaonline
Hi again,

I kn ow my question is the numerical analysis anything like what we did at the regional assessment centre and the answer was no not really, I'm still lost.

Anyone?

x

Hey!

Unfortunately, there won't be many people on here who are willing to give much away about the tests, as everyone goes in pretty much blind! Don't worry yourself too much though, there really is nothing you can do to prep, just be yourself and do your best at each task. I know it might sound ridiculous, but try and enjoy it too, it'll make you relax more!
Reply 548
Original post by luwaonline
Hi again,

Anyone?

x

Hi,

Yes I'm sorry that was me, I know it's not very helpful, but I couldn't find any help on here before I went, and it's not fair on people who have already done the assessment centre if people start sharing too much detail on the AC now...but like the guy above said, do rest assured that there's not much prep you can do. The more you know, the more you'll stress I think!
Hey guys this might be old news to some but I only came across this today. Basically HMRC is launching a tax academy for its trainees. People can read more about it here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/consumertips/tax/9172401/HMRC-sends-tax-inspectors-back-to-college.html

http://www.egovmonitor.com/node/48641

After reading the second link, it finishes with "There is currently 215 HMRC staff working towards a degree, which number will double in 2013 as more tax professionals are recruited."

This does mean the successful candidates right? Quite interesting that they manage to pull off a training course that is equal to a degree accredited by Manchester Metro Uni, never thought that if I was successful then I'll have to do another one :tongue:
The waiting is beginning to fray my nerves, I have a couple of questions:

1) Does anyone know when the AC's will have stopped running?

2) More a point for speculation, what do you think the chances are of us hearing back before the middle of May?

Three months between attending the AC and learning the results is starting to seem unusually cruel.
Original post by bloodandiron

2) More a point for speculation, what do you think the chances are of us hearing back before the middle of May?

Three months between attending the AC and learning the results is starting to seem unusually cruel.

I don't think it will be before May 11th. I contacted the recruitment team as I have been successful for another graduate programme and wanted to make an informed choice, they said they are still workings towards 11th May date.
Reply 552

1 - not sure, but I don't think there is a set date that they decided from the outset - I get the impression they are going to keep going until they have enough candidates who meet the standard unless they exhaust everyone and still don't have enough...

2 - The person at my AC said we would definitely not hear back before 11 May and that it is actually more likely to be AFTER then than before (let's hope not), but different people on here seem to have been told different things by different people. I was also told at my AC that we would be emailed 'in April' to ask for our location preferences, and that was done in March, so perhaps they're ahead? Probably wishful thinking though!!:rolleyes:
Reply 553

I know what you mean about being wound up about the waiting! I think about the outcome constantly and it's driving me mad!

1) I don't know if I read it on here or if it was mentioned in our AC, but I definitely have mid April in my head for end of ACs cos I remember thinking it would only be about 4 weeks wait for the people who went to the last ACs. It also puts the May 11th date into perspective a little as for us guys who had our AC weeks ago it feels like forever, for the candidates at the end it isn't as long and for their results to be marked and everyone to be put in order it isn't as long either.

2) As much as it would be lovely to have an outcome sooner, I doubt we will hear any results before May 11th. With these positions being so coveted and with such a long and difficult training process, I'm guessing very definite and sure decisions have to be made about who will take the jobs.

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 554
At our AC in February, we were originally told by our HMRC mentor that we would find out whether or not we were successful or not by the second or third week of April, however I rang recently to check this as most others on here were told May. Apparently we will find out around the middle of May (I assume by the 11th May as originally advised). Also, they told me on the phone that this week is the final week of the ACs. That would sound right by what the HMRC mentor advised us at our AC.
Hey everyone. So what offices did people pick? I said Milton Keynes, Oxford and Coventry. Only 4 more weeks now :smile:
I said I was willing to relocate but would prefer Bolton, Manchester or Preston. I am hoping Bolton and Preston are not going to be many peoples choices.
Reply 557
I'm glad I'm not the only one that is getting very antsy about waiting for the results. I had my AC in middle of Feb and waiting all this time is REALLY not good for someone who is not exactly the most patient of people as it is!

I'm hoping to relocate to the north west and have chosen Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds as my 3 choices. Fingers crossed
Reply 558
Hi all the wait is killing me to, I was at the 1st assesment centre 3 months is a long time to wait. I only put Newcastle hope this wont spoil my chances
Reply 559
I have put Liverpool, Warrington and Manchester. 1 month to go!! I am slightly suspicious that the "middle of May" they mentioned in their last email could be later than the 11th though... :mad: lets hope not for sanity's sake!

Original post by Cazaclaz
I only put Newcastle hope this wont spoil my chances

It will obviously make you less likely to get an offer overall, as they've said Newcastle is a popular choice and they won't give you Newcastle over someone who's scored higher just because you haven't chosen another place, I guess. So I would think it'll depend on your AC score as to whether you get an offer. (same as all of us really) Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest