The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL vs. X official question thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
That sounds great! Should we meet at 10h30 outside 27 rue Saint-Guillaume? There will probably be quite a lot of people there, but I'll send you a message with my mobile number so we'll manage to find each other :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 81
I've made this thread to ask for everyone's advise, I am at a lose as to which university I should firm and which I should put as my insurance.

On the face of it I know UCL overall has the better reputation and league table position. Academically they are a better institution being one of the best in the world. I have an offer to study straight Chemistry there. This is what is making my decision so hard, the UCL course is a 3 year BSc degree but KCL is a 4 year MSc Chemistry with biomedicine.

So after graduation I will be left with more options if I go to KCL, plus there is only 20 places. So no sat in a packed lecture room with 150 people like at UCL, it will be taught in a very small intimate room for the whole 4 years. Which in my opinion is amazing. UCL have also stated that I need to do a language as a unit along side my degree as I don't meet their basic entry requirements, KCL do not require this. UCL offer a better bursary plan than KCL though.

This is becoming a very difficult decision, the more I think about it the more I become confused :/

Can anyone offer any wise words??
You'll have your chemistry lectures with everyone doing chemistry and you'll have all your biomedicine lectures with everyone doing biomedicine so the situation at KCL in terms of lecture size will be very much the same as at UCL. And how is that a valid argument anyway? Lectures are lectures - it won't make a difference if there's 500 in a room or just 10. Seminars and tutorials on the other hand...

With regards to your question, I would choose UCL without hesitation. I've heard many bad things about KCL's chemistry department - a while back funds were non-existent, the department shut down and staff were fleeing the sinking ship. It's only recently re-opened: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=417326. This new department is going to pretty weak and shaky for at least the next few years so I'd avoid it if possible. UCL on the other hand is going from strength to strength. Can't you convert to a MChem course at UCL?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Well I was under the impression that a smaller group size in lectures allows for a greater opportunity for clarification on topics that I don't understand while they are being explained, as I am aware in a room full of 100 or so students it is very difficult for the lecturer to stop it that is the case.

Yeah I'm aware it was closed down and this coming academic year is the first time this course will ever have been run, you do make some valid points which does make me hesitant about the KCL course. They said in my interview at UCL (grades permitting) transfer to an MChem course will not be an issue. The only main difference then comes down to the fact once graduate from KCL I would have more options open to me as it is a Chemistry with biomedicine course than UCL, but I am also fully aware that UCL is the better institution.
Original post by Capo_Kid
Well I was under the impression that a smaller group size in lectures allows for a greater opportunity for clarification on topics that I don't understand while they are being explained, as I am aware in a room full of 100 or so students it is very difficult for the lecturer to stop it that is the case.

Yeah I'm aware it was closed down and this coming academic year is the first time this course will ever have been run, you do make some valid points which does make me hesitant about the KCL course. They said in my interview at UCL (grades permitting) transfer to an MChem course will not be an issue. The only main difference then comes down to the fact once graduate from KCL I would have more options open to me as it is a Chemistry with biomedicine course than UCL, but I am also fully aware that UCL is the better institution.

I think you're missing my point - I doubt the KCL lectures will be any smaller as you will be in the same lectures as straight chemistry students and straight biomedicine students (though I suppose because of KCL's situation their department is a lot smaller than UCL's). And if a lecturer is asked a question and is willing to respond it doesn't matter how big the lecture is especially as the answer could help everyone in the room. I've been in 200+ sized lectures where questions are asked and answers given.

If you're really stuck in lectures then you should visit lecturers in their office hours or get help during tutorials/seminars. That's what they're there for and in these situations class size matters a whole lot more than lecture size.

Would a chemistry with biomedicine course really give you more options? I guess it'd only really matter if you're seriously contemplating a career in biomedicine, but then if that was the case you'd probably want to take a straight biomedicine course...and chemistry is extremely applicable to a number of areas regardless
Reply 85
Hi there, I've also got an offer for the Dual Degree. I was just wondering for those who had several campus choices, have you been told which one you've got?
Reply 86
Original post by Pearl Lake
Hi there, I've also got an offer for the Dual Degree. I was just wondering for those who had several campus choices, have you been told which one you've got?

Still haven't heard anything... Have you?
Reply 87
Original post by Roses*
Still haven't heard anything... Have you?

Nope. I applied for Italian, so it's between Paris and Dijon.. really want Paris (I grew up there). I've sent an e-mail asking when they'll let me know. We are only a month from the UCAS reply date...
Reply 88
Original post by Pearl Lake
Nope. I applied for Italian, so it's between Paris and Dijon.. really want Paris (I grew up there). I've sent an e-mail asking when they'll let me know. We are only a month from the UCAS reply date...

I know... I was also thinking of sending them an email to ask as the campus I'll be assigned to is one of the main elements which will influence my choice. Would you please let us know when/what do they reply? Quite a lot of people have been wondering when will they let us know! :biggrin: And by the way, join the FB ESPS offer holders group :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by Roses*
I know... I was also thinking of sending them an email to ask as the campus I'll be assigned to is one of the main elements which will influence my choice. Would you please let us know when/what do they reply? Quite a lot of people have been wondering when will they let us know! :biggrin: And by the way, join the FB ESPS offer holders group :smile:

Will do. This one? https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Freshmen-of-ESPS-for-2011-2012/203772376336571
Reply 91
I go to UCL so obviously I'm biased but I would absolutely pick it over Kings. I know a number of people studying chemistry and I don't think any of them actually specifically want to pursue it afterwards. Athough they enjoy the subject, part of the reason they chose it is because it is such a transferrable degree that endowes you with a broad skill set. So if you picked UCL you would still have lots of options after graduation.

There is also a fair amount of rivalry between the different London Unis and although it is friendly, KCL get so much stick for being the underdog and are commonly known as 'the Strand Poly'. I had the choice between UCL and Kings too and I know it sounds petty, but at times when everyone is making fun of Kings, I'm so glad I go to UCL! Do you really want to be burdened with that image?! Forever regretting your decision not to pick UCL? No. Well then you have your answer.

Jokes aside though, it really is amazing, I love UCL. Just make sure your decision is based on your genuine happiness, (cliched as that sounds) and not image.
Reply 92
I am in a similar dilemma
Reply 93
Original post by Dizzycop

There is also a fair amount of rivalry between the different London Unis and although it is friendly, KCL get so much stick for being the underdog and are commonly known as 'the Strand Poly'. I had the choice between UCL and Kings too and I know it sounds petty, but at times when everyone is making fun of Kings, I'm so glad I go to UCL! Do you really want to be burdened with that image?!

I will be going to UCL but can I just say that anyone who takes the slightest notice to this silliness is stupid beyone measure. What a bunch of 20 year olds think about an institution with a history as strong as that of Kings would be wholly irrelevant if I was to go there.

"Burdened with that image"? Give me a break.
Reply 94
I did put 'Jokes aside'. Of course you shouldn't take it seriously or make it a major deciding factor, I was just being light hearted! You don't seriously think I consider that image to be a burden?! As you've said, Kings is an institution with a very strong history and I would still be proud to say I went there if I did. Glad to hear you've decided on UCL though :smile:
UCL! :redface:
Reply 96
Heyyyya.. i was just wondering which univeristy would be better to go to for a pharmacy degree... UCL or KCL??? They are really similair and i have the same offer for both. im just really confused and would like peoples opinions...
Reply 97
bit of a poll really.. i have offers from both, can't decide for the life of me which to firm... pros and cons for each would be fantastic, my mind is blank right now haha... THANK YOU :smile:
Gotta make my mind up which one shall I firmmmmmmmmmmmm!
It's Uni, Uni, gonna have fun at uni.
Everybody's looking forward to September.
Uni, Uni, gonna have fun at uni.
Everybody's looking forward to September!

Partying Partying yeah!
Partying Partying yeah!
Stu.. Stu.. Student Union
Looking forward to September!

OP, In my opinion Firm UCL because Durham is apparently a dull place.
Reply 99
Original post by Lamb.
bit of a poll really.. i have offers from both, can't decide for the life of me which to firm... pros and cons for each would be fantastic, my mind is blank right now haha... THANK YOU :smile:

I feel I can comment as I go to UCL and my boyfriend is at durham.
We're both very suited to our universities, I feel. I couldn't go to durham and he'd hate to be at UCL.

UCL Pros:
-it's in central london and has lots of important and interesting landmarks on its doorstep. Camden Market, Oxford Street, the British Museum, Tottenham Court Road and Covent Garden are within walking distance
-it's a very well equipped university whilst still being quite traditional. There are 16 libraries and then an extra arts and humanities one at Senate House.
-We kind of get 'double facilities' as we've got our own union and then ULU (the university of London union)
-Lots of opportunities to work part time at the university or in nearby cafes, pubs and shops.
-Most programmes are very well taught and we're highly regarded
-If you're after networking or getting a job in law, media, finance and business then you're in the centre of it all.

UCL Cons:
-It's expensive to live in London and you have to balance your time very well to have time for a part time job to offset some of this cost
-There may be too much to do and it may mean you get distracted
-Some may say it's more difficult to make friends (although I've never experienced this, nor do I know anybody with no friends) as we're not forced together in a collegiate setting.
-It's busy. There are 25000 students and it makes it a pain getting a computer at lunch time or queuing up to get food or whatever. Have fun trying to get a seat in the library during exam time unless you arrive before 8am.
-From my experience, it can be a bit lefty and overly political. Not everybody is like this (by any stretch) but our union has a history of strong political activism and they can be really annoying (have a look at my blogpost in my sig for more info)

I absolutely love it at UCL and I've really enjoyed my time here.
Here are some pros and cons about durham I can think of:

Pros
-Cheaper to live
-More of a community feel as you have the college system
-If you like the 'bubble' feel then you'll durham as it is very small and you'll probably regularly bump into somebody you know
-parts of it are very pretty

Cons
-Quite a big drinking culture (though this may be a pro for you) and a lot of people don't do anything in their spare time apart from go to Klute or get pissed.
-It's tiny (this is a big con for me), for me it's very claustrophobic - you can't escape the university as most of the town is the university.
-some departments aren't as strong
-less opportunities to work part time as it is so small.
-The closest big city is newcastle, you're cut off from a lot of the UK when you compare it to london.

Quick Reply

Latest