The Student Room Group

Joint Degrees in Modern Languages (three languages?)

I was under the impression that students could do joint degrees in only two Modern Languages so I applied (and was accepted) to read German and Beginners' Russian. Is there any way I can add Spanish? I saw on the Modern Languages offer page that some students have offers to read French, Spanish and Italian. Is this permitted because all three are Romance Languages?
Get in touch with your college and ask? Worst that happens is they say no :smile:
Original post by Zwiebel
I was under the impression that students could do joint degrees in only two Modern Languages so I applied (and was accepted) to read German and Beginners' Russian. Is there any way I can add Spanish? I saw on the Modern Languages offer page that some students have offers to read French, Spanish and Italian. Is this permitted because all three are Romance Languages?

I am pretty sure there is no way you can learn three languages for your degree. You can study an extra language in your free time at the language centre, but because doing three languages for your actual BA would entail doing many language papers and all but cutting out literature, I doubt Oxford would accept it.
You can only do joint honours between two subjects, but with some languages like Spanish, you can take options to study Catalan, or with Russian you can pick up Bulgarian I think. There is also the option of studying another language at the Language Centre, but this will be on top of all your compulsory work (and believe me, with two languages there is a lot of work.)
Reply 4
I only know that one of the subjects offered at Oxford is Czech with Slovak, so I guess that if you combined this course with another language course, you'd have three languages.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending