The Student Room Group

how many people have unprotected sex with their partner ?

Is it normal to have unprotected sex with your partner ? For instance I've been with my boyfriend 7 months we have both had stti checks (more for him as I was a virgin) I have the implant and he says its normal once you know somebody to hve unprotected sex

Is this true once you've been with somebody for a while and have proper birth control methods such aas the pill implant or coil do you sleep without protection how many people do this regularly? Is it safe I have a horrible fear ill end up pregnant and I'd quite like him to wear condoms butt don't know how to broach the subject

Scroll to see replies

Yeah it's pretty common. Sex without a condom is like driving a supercar which hasn't been limited to 155mph. I dunno what the prevention rate of the implant is, but my ex was on the pill and I felt comfortable not using a condom as it's like 98 or 99% effective. If she missed a tablet or took it at the wrong time or something then I'd put a johnny on just to be safe, but otherwise I prefer not to use one. It's overkill.
I'm on the pill so we don't use condoms anymore, I don't like them anymore than my boyfriend does!!
Me and my partner don't use condoms apart from anal sex. But I have the implant and have yearly STDs tests. Do not have sex without condoms unless you are on a form of contraception (i.e. implant, pill, coil, etc) and both of you have STD tests/are clean.
Reply 4
I'm on the pill, we've both been checked, and we both hate condoms so why use them!
Reply 5
I have sex without a condom most of the time... the only time I suit up is when the girl looks like she's been open for business far too long.
Original post by tehFrance
I have sex without a condom most of the time... the only time I suit up is when the girl looks like she's been open for business far too long.

Even then make sure the light is on so you can check for herpes haha. Condom ain't saving you from that ****! :eek:

EDIT: Why am I getting negged? Are there ignorant people who believe a condom will protect you from everything? Or do people think it's best to jump right in without caution so you don't ruin the moment?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
With my last boyfriend we didn't use condoms after 6 months and that was after we both got checked out. We used them for a while when I changed pills because I wasn't sure if the pill were effective straight away so thought it was better to be safe than sorry
You can have all strains of HPV and be "clean" according to NHS STI tests. they don't test for it at all, nor do they test for herpes.
I do, I'm on the pill though :smile:
I did with my last boyfriend, I was on the pill but neither of us had been checked for STDs so it was a bit of an idiot move in hindsight. (I have since been checked and I am clean.)

Personally I prefer to use condoms just cos I'm a bit paranoid about pregnancy and tend to get pretty worried, even on the pill. There's just no way I could cope with a baby right now, I don't want an abortion and a condom as well as the pill just provides a wee bit more security and peace of mind. :smile:

When I'm in a position where I was in a long term relationship with a guy, in love and could cope with pregnancy and we were both STD free I'd ditch the condoms.
:frown: Unfortuntaly I do, with random guys from nights out. I have an implant so i know im deffos not going to get pregnant so using a condom is even less appealing :/ I started having sex without a condom so now having sex with just seems like **** in comparison.

Sigh, need to take an sti check - im dreading it.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it normal to have unprotected sex with your partner ? For instance I've been with my boyfriend 7 months we have both had stti checks (more for him as I was a virgin) I have the implant and he says its normal once you know somebody to hve unprotected sex

Is this true once you've been with somebody for a while and have proper birth control methods such aas the pill implant or coil do you sleep without protection how many people do this regularly? Is it safe I have a horrible fear ill end up pregnant and I'd quite like him to wear condoms butt don't know how to broach the subject

You wont get pregnant with the implant, and because you've both had sti checks you're fine to have 'unprotected' sex!!

Just make sure your boyfriend isnt cheating on you and sleeping around...
I have the implant so ye without condom.
I have the implant - me and my boyfriend stopped using condoms as soon as I got it. Both virgins though when we met.

I would use condoms with the pill though - I know/hear of far too many people who fall pregnant on the pill (with no condoms). Its very effective with perfect use, but pregnancy isn't unheard of (unlike with implant - where pregnancy is pretty much unheard of so long as its somewhere in your body!). Also, I am not capable of perfect use - if I were to miss the pill, then its remembering that I've done that, and then your relying on just a condom, which is also not 100%.
Reply 15
Original post by laurentommo
I have the implant so ye without condom.

so does my **** buddy, you need to know their history though, they could be riddeled with it though
Original post by Anonymous

If you are both free of STI/STDs and are using an alternative form of contraception (coil, pill, injection, implant, etc) then having sex without a barrier is relatively risk free. It requires trust that you are either sexually exclusive or that any outside partners you have are also STD free or you use barriers with them for all kinds of sex (including oral!)

The pregnancies that happen when using contraception usually occur because of user error. Broken condoms, forgetting the pill, etc.

If you prefer condoms then just tell your partner that you don't like bareback sex. If you are worried about pregnancy or diseases, educate yourself about the risks and make sure you are covered. If you're still worried (perhaps because you have identified an area where you are not taking effective precautions) then either take better precautions or insist on using barriers for sex. Just don't let irrational fears get the better of you.
Reply 17
my boyfriend and I were both virgins, I went on the pill ... we used condoms only during times when I felt that my pill-taking was very inconsistent. otherwise, bareback all the way!
Original post by j0ker
so does my **** buddy, you need to know their history though, they could be riddeled with it though

are you stalking me? :eek:
Reply 19
I don't use condoms with the guy I'm seeing, but I have the coil (I had to have an STI check before it was put in, so I know I'm clean), and I asked him pretty much straight away if he had been checked (bad experience with last boyfriend), and he had been tested after his last girlfriend, so all is well. I would really prefer to have the implant, but the side effects were too brutal for my tastes!

Quick Reply