The Student Room Group

Keep hitting the curb!

Turn in the road, reverse round a corner, and just stopping generally to park next to a curb I all find really difficult.
Embarrassing as my test is this month.
I know you are usually given a mark on the car to direct you how close you should get, but I am always scared of going too close, or too far away. I always think its better to be further away than hitting the curb.
Any tips???
Reply 1
I would advise you to get a fish eye lense on the left hand wing mirror of your car - it lets you see the curb when you are parking - I couldn't live without mine!

Other than that, practice is key. It takes time to get used to the size of your car and just the distances accordingly - but it'll come eventually.
Reply 2
I would advise you to get a fish eye lens on the left hand wing mirror of your car - it lets you see the curb when you are parking - I couldn't live without mine!

Other than that, practice is key. It takes time to get used to the size of your car and just the distances accordingly - but it'll come eventually.
When you do the reverse around the corner keep the curb and the car a drains width apart (theoretically you're doing it too close if it's not.) Do this by straightening the wheel out if your car gets to close to the curb (don't need to do any right on the wheel because then you're back end will stick out of your lane, then you will fail.) In terms of pulling up and sticking a safe distance from the curb, just remember how far the curb cuts into your left window wiper and then you have somthing to work with:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
I reversed into the kirb twice doing a parallel park on my test (only bumped it but it was noticeable!) didn't even get a minor for it :s go figure!

I'm sure you're bored of hearing this but practice really does make perfect! Make sure you're setting your mirrors up the same every time, that was my issue during lessons, or maybe consider altering your left one slightly downwards, just make sure you can still see far enough behind you.
Reply 5
practice is the best way imo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending