The Student Room Group

A 25-year-old man dies saving children

A GOOD Samaritan has died while bravely going to the aid of two children playing in the sea.

The 25-year-old went to help the youngsters who were in difficulties in an inflatable rubber ring off the shore at West Wittering, West Sussex.

He managed to rescue the children from the water but drowned during the attempt.

Beachgoers watched in horror as the man struggled in the water and although onlookers called the emergency services were called they were too late to save him.

A Solent Coastguard spokesman said: “A man was pulled from the water on the West Wittering estate after he had tried to help two children.

“Their mother was understandably upset that this man had had this accident when he had tried to help them.”

The man, who has not been named, died following the incident at around 12.45pm on Saturday.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said the Good Samaritan was not related to the children.

He said: “On Saturday a tragic incident occurred on West Wittering beach, whereby a 25-year-old male accidentally drowned.

“The male went to the assistance of two children playing in a rubber ring some five metres from the shoreline.

“In doing so he put himself in danger, which sadly resulted in him drowning."

Source:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4341064/Good-Samaritan-dies-trying-to-save-children.html

What an amazing act of bravery! This man is a legend for what he did! But it leads you to think that on a beach full of people why was it only him that tried to save the children? :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ALazyThracian
A GOOD Samaritan has died while bravely going to the aid of two children playing in the sea.

The 25-year-old went to help the youngsters who were in difficulties in an inflatable rubber ring off the shore at West Wittering, West Sussex.

He managed to rescue the children from the water but drowned during the attempt.

Beachgoers watched in horror as the man struggled in the water and although onlookers called the emergency services were called they were too late to save him.

A Solent Coastguard spokesman said: “A man was pulled from the water on the West Wittering estate after he had tried to help two children.

“Their mother was understandably upset that this man had had this accident when he had tried to help them.”

The man, who has not been named, died following the incident at around 12.45pm on Saturday.

A spokesman for Sussex Police said the Good Samaritan was not related to the children.

He said: “On Saturday a tragic incident occurred on West Wittering beach, whereby a 25-year-old male accidentally drowned.

“The male went to the assistance of two children playing in a rubber ring some five metres from the shoreline.

“In doing so he put himself in danger, which sadly resulted in him drowning."

Source:http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4341064/Good-Samaritan-dies-trying-to-save-children.html

What an amazing act of bravery! This man is a legend for what he did! But it leads you to think that on a beach full of people why was it only him that tried to save the children? :confused:

Did anybody try to help the guy?
Reply 2
I don't think so :frown:
he died a hero, he should be posthumously honored
What was wrong to cause trouble to people just five metres from the shoreline, and even worse, to cause someone to drown?!

Still, a very tragic accident and a very honourable man! :frown:
Hero is the only word to describe this man, and the by-standers should have helped him.

May he R.I.P and DemocracyForum what's with that post?

If there were more men like him then this world would be a better place.
You'd think if it was a beach full of people, that someone would try and help the man, too. :frown:
Reply 7
Tragic. :frown:
Reply 8
So sad. I think in a situation like that, whatever you choose to do, whether it be jump in or wait for someone else to jump in, will be a spur of the moment decision, and you will probably be questioning what you did for the rest of your life.
Reply 9
Original post by cl_steele
See this is what being British is all about, truly selfless behaviour. words do not describe the respect i have for this man RIP.

It's not being British. It's being human.

RIP to the hero. Putting his life at risk for little children. A truly admirable man.
Original post by HeyyImRyan
What was wrong to cause trouble to people just five metres from the shoreline, and even worse, to cause someone to drown?!

My thoughts exactly, five meters is very very close.

I'm shocked no one tried to help him :frown:
Reply 11
Original post by VictorDeLost
It's not being British. It's being human.

RIP to the hero. Putting his life at risk for little children. A truly admirable man.

yet a single day of watching the news would beg to differ, sad isnt it..
Did he know that the waters were dangerous?

Not many people would knowingly risk their lives to save others. If he did then that's incredible.
Original post by _music<3
You'd think if it was a beach full of people, that someone would try and help the man, too. :frown:

If I remember rightly it's called the Bystander effect (or something like that anyway) - basically no one does anything because they think someone else will, it's a bit weird really and honestly i don't know much about it, but some high profile cases are for e.g. that case in China where a girl of about...9-12 I think, was run over in the street, bleeding etc, and no one helped her, some even stepping over her.

Anyway on topic, a truly selfless individual, worthy of praise for his actions - here's hoping that the kids always remember the sacrifice he made for them. He certainly did something that I probably wouldn't consider doing.
Good on him, rest in peace.

See this is what being British is all about, truly selfless behaviour. words do not describe the respect i have for this man RIP.

It's got nothing to do with being British, it's the human thing to do.
Reply 15
Actually, people did try to help him. (I read on BBC News). What a sad way to go.
Reply 16
Original post by thunder_chunky
Good on him, rest in peace.

It's got nothing to do with being British, it's the human thing to do.

actions speak louder than words and considering actions like this are in the minority...
Original post by HeyyImRyan

Riptides/under currents are clsoe to the shore and can drag you under in an instant.

Evidently not, given the beach was in Britain and no one else tied to help.
It's sad to think this guy will never be thanked for what he did.

Quick Reply

Latest