The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Most people posting haven't been on the planet for 30 years - it's a massive amount of time to spend behind bars, and a just sentence for taking someone's life.

I do, however, believe that euthanasia should be offered to those serving a life sentence - but in no way, shape or form should be imposed on any human being.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by .eXe
It's people like this guy that make the argument for death penalty so much stronger. It should be brought back, but only be used to in the more extreme cases like this one...where the perpetrator is clearly mentally stable and yet has absolutely no remorse. Why waste decades of tax money on a person who clearly will never rejoin society in a constructive manner.

I agree, though sometimes I do consider that death is somewhat of an escape. If we could have jails with more squalid conditions for people who commit crimes such as this, then a life term in such a place would be suitable. In general though that seems a waste, when you can extinguish what is in essence a waste of resources. We put down dogs for biting people...yet we don't put down humans for killing people and having no remorse, they're worse then rabid dogs, why shouldn't they die? Funny world...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by joey11223
I agree, though sometimes I do consider that death is somewhat of an escape. If we could have jails with more squalid conditions for people who commit crimes such as this, then a life term in such a place would be suitable. In general though that seems a waste, when you can extinguish what is in essence a waste of resources. We put down dogs for biting people...yet we don't put down humans for killing people and having no remorse, they're worse then rabid dogs, why shouldn't they die? Funny world...

Exactly! It's because the extreme left will always have the edge as society tries to move towards more PC opinions, rather than doing what's required. From a utilitarian perspective, death penalty is justifiable. Sometimes I wish society could see it that way instead of always pushing for increasing liberalism.
Obviously the death penalty is never going to happen nor should it, mainly for moral reasons but also because sometimes the courts get it wrong. The judge that sentenced the Guildford 4 said that he would have given the death penalty if it was available.

Most people don't know what prison is like, they believe the 'Holiday camp' stories in the Mail but it's not like that, 30 years is a very long time to spend in a pretty ****ty place. He might get out after 30 years but only if he improves his behavior, if he doesn't then he won't get out (It's not that easy for IPP prisoners to get released) when he does get out he will still be on license for the rest of his life so will be closely monitored and recalled if he acts up.
Reply 24
Original post by Dr. Von Nostrand
Obviously the death penalty is never going to happen nor should it, mainly for moral reasons but also because sometimes the courts get it wrong. The judge that sentenced the Guildford 4 said that he would have given the death penalty if it was available.

Most people don't know what prison is like, they believe the 'Holiday camp' stories in the Mail but it's not like that, 30 years is a very long time to spend in a pretty ****ty place. He might get out after 30 years but only if he improves his behavior, if he doesn't then he won't get out (It's not that easy for IPP prisoners to get released) when he does get out he will still be on license for the rest of his life so will be closely monitored and recalled if he acts up.

Would you kill 1 person to save 10 million?
Original post by Tommyjw
"the killer of Indian student Anuj Bidve, has been jailed for life with a minimum of 30 years."

What is the issue? It is essentially the maximum sentence, how can it ever be described as 'too lenient'?.

In no way shape or form should we ever bring back the death penalty, ever.

the sentence itself isn't too lenient as it is the maximun pretty much as you said. What OP is getting at is that our maximum sentences are too lenient. Had this been the USA he would likely have been sent away for 60/70years probably...a sentence like that would suit this guy alot more and 30years.

You know that he has left a inmate with permenently blurred vision and badly scarred/burned skin oin his face after pouring boiling water mixed with sugar over him and almost beating him to death. There is no rehabilitating this guy, you knw why? He probably likes being like that, thinks he is "wel 'ard".

Death penalty no, however I believe life should mean life or pretty much.
Original post by simonbellringer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9431941/Kiaran-Stapleton-jailed-for-30-years-for-murdering-student.html

This report sickens me. Not only for the murder - that in itself is bad enough - but the manner and the guy's reactions.

To LAUGH while being fully aware of what he had done was bad enough
To get that tear-shaped tattoo was as bad.
To pick the guy out for having the biggest head too.....

Why does society have to live and suffer with such utter scum? And now we have to keep him for the next 30 years at the taxpayers expense.

Personally I would have him suffer the death penalty (though there are many arguments for and against this) but the question is: he has a 30 year minimum jail sentence - is this too leniant?

I say definitely and I hope he dies in prison. All the better if some fellow inmates batter him to death for such an atrocity.

Well aside from all your tabloid style rantings about what you think should happen to him I can say here and now that the death penalty is not suited to our country and I'm glad we don't have it here.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well aside from all your tabloid style rantings about what you think should happen to him I can say here and now that the death penalty is not suited to our country and I'm glad we don't have it here.

The Death Penalty may not be suited to the country as a whole, but I strongly believe that it should be bought back, and this scum here would be the first to suffer it.
The Death Penalty may not be suited to the country as a whole, but I strongly believe that it should be bought back, and this scum here would be the first to suffer it.

Yeah lets bring it back, then it'll only be a matter of time before a person that has been wrongly convicted gets put to death. Jolly dee.
Original post by thunder_chunky
Yeah lets bring it back, then it'll only be a matter of time before a person that has been wrongly convicted gets put to death. Jolly dee.

Let's not bring it back and have this pile of scum wasting ÂŁmillions in taxpayers money every year. Jolly dee. This ******** will never change and will always be behind bars. Waste of time and money.

And it is beyond doubt he is the guilty one - death penalty should never be used unless someone is guilty BEYOND DOUBT.
Reply 30
Let's not bring it back and have this pile of scum wasting ÂŁmillions in taxpayers money every year. Jolly dee. This ******** will never change and will always be behind bars. Waste of time and money.

And it is beyond doubt he is the guilty one - death penalty should never be used unless someone is guilty BEYOND DOUBT.

But is this guy not guilty beyond doubt in your opinion?

What criteria must be met before someone can be considered guilty beyond doubt?

I'm not saying that he isn't guilty but you say some it shouldn't be used unless someome is guilty beyond doubt. However sooner or later there will be a case where a person is thought to be guilty however later turns out to be found innocent. That opens up all sorts of problems. It's inevitable.

So you can go on and on about prison wasting taxpayers money and about it not changing but maybe it hasn't changed yet because we haven't yet perfected the art of rehabilitation. When it is worthy of being applied that is.
Apparently he killed his hamster the week before. What a tit eh!
Original post by joey11223

Difference about the dogs is you know which dog bit you, my main argument against death penalty would be - what if you kill the wrong man?

Imagine a botched case, planted evidence, dodgy policing and a hard line judge, then bang, you can be executed.

I would perhaps look for an extension of his sentence maybe, but actually 30years sounds reasonable enough (without parole)
Original post by Funemployment
Apparently he killed his hamster the week before. What a tit eh!

You hear the interview?

Have you ever killed anyone?
Yeah.......I killed my hamster last week.

What a fiend.
Reply 35
if we had SHARIA LAW this disgusting human being would have been hanged
**** him. 30 years is enough. he'll be an old man by the time he gets out, if that ever happens. he's thrown his life away and it'll dawn on him eventually. Don't take him seriously when he says he loves prison, he hates it like anyone else does.
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch
**** him. 30 years is enough. he'll be an old man by the time he gets out, if that ever happens. he's thrown his life away and it'll dawn on him eventually. Don't take him seriously when he says he loves prison, he hates it like anyone else does.

you don't understand how it workes mate in prison he has numerous priveladges TV's, Books, Food no bills to pay he is surrounded be like minded people (thugs) he is the type to revel in that enviroment prison in the UK is bloody easy my uncle is a prison guard and said that himself he said many of the criminals prefer it in prison and that's why so many end up back there. they become institutionalised and they get in their own little comfort zone in prison where they are feared by fellow prisoners.

If you think this man should ever walk the streets again you are an crazy. If not the death penalty then he should be locked in a single cell 9ft by 9ft with a sink and toilet, a stone bed with only a thin blanket, no windows and only a book to read which changes every 2 weeks he should be allowed out of his cell for 3 hours on a saturday where he will be allowed to exersise but not allowed to talk to other prisoners he should be allowed 1 visit every month he should stay in such conditions untill the day he dies and all assets he has should be given to the victims family.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 38

Money?

Not the best argument to use when studies have shown the death penalty costs more.
Original post by Tommyjw
Money?

Not the best argument to use when studies have shown the death penalty costs more.

In the short term perhaps. But in the long term, no way. Once he is dead, you no longer have to feed him, clothe him, protect him from other inmates, guard him.....

Death penalty shouldnt cost much!! Which idiots think the Death Penalty costs more?!?! And why?!?! Sources please....