The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Aaron_1507
Did you get all the stars on your badge?

Yes, lol.
NickyP
Yes, lol.

I know i sound like a noob but thats because i am. I have been working there for 2 days and i want to move up already lol. What are the OCLs? what do you have to do? and what are the unit test? Sorry about all the questions but i really want to know.
Reply 262
Aaron_1507
I know i sound like a noob but thats because i am. I have been working there for 2 days and i want to move up already lol. What are the OCLs? what do you have to do? and what are the unit test? Sorry about all the questions but i really want to know.

Don't worry about it, I've got nothing better to do :smile:. OCL stands for Observation Checklist. Crew used to have to have loads of OCLs done on them by Staff Trainers and Managers to say they could make fries properly or dress buns properly for example, but they got replaced by SOCs a few months ago which cuts down on a lot of paper work. SOCs cover a much wider area so you don't need too many to be done on you. You need to have them done on you before you can be promoted so that they can see you are qualified in every area of the restaurant.

And there are 3 unit tests which test Quality, Service and Cleanliness (QSC). Once you have the relevant SOCs and have done the unit test in one of these areas, you get that star. Sorry if this is all a bit confusing! There is loads of information on the New Starter section of Our Lounge, and there is a jargon buster there too to help you understand all of these abreviations and McDonald's lingo.

And it's good that you know what you want straight away. Do you work in a drive through restaurant?
NickyP
Don't worry about it, I've got nothing better to do :smile:. OCL stands for Observation Checklist. Crew used to have to have loads of OCLs done on them by Staff Trainers and Managers to say they could make fries properly or dress buns properly for example, but they got replaced by SOCs a few months ago which cuts down on a lot of paper work. SOCs cover a much wider area so you don't need too many to be done on you. You need to have them done on you before you can be promoted so that they can see you are qualified in every area of the restaurant.

And there are 3 unit tests which test Quality, Service and Cleanliness (QSC). Once you have the relevant SOCs and have done the unit test in one of these areas, you get that star. Sorry if this is all a bit confusing! There is loads of information on the New Starter section of Our Lounge, and there is a jargon buster there too to help you understand all of these abreviations and McDonald's lingo.

And it's good that you know what you want straight away. Do you work in a drive through restaurant?

Cheers and yes i do; when do you think i could start my SOCs and you are clearly a smart person so,in your view, are they easy?
Reply 264
Aaron_1507
Cheers and yes i do; when do you think i could start my SOCs and you are clearly a smart person so,in your view, are they easy?

Why thank you! If your store is organised, then your Staff Trainers will probably be given SOCs to do with you, and I wouldn't worry about them at all. They'll just sit down with you and ask you questions, then tick them off. I've never known anybody to fail one. They probably won't start until after your 3 week probationary period, and you'll probably have all the initial ones done in about 6 months. After that you have ongoing SOCs which just help with your PR (Performance Review) which you have every 6 months.
NickyP
Why thank you! If your store is organised, then your Staff Trainers will probably be given SOCs to do with you, and I wouldn't worry about them at all. They'll just sit down with you and ask you questions, then tick them off. I've never known anybody to fail one. They probably won't start until after your 3 week probationary period, and you'll probably have all the initial ones done in about 6 months. After that you have ongoing SOCs which just help with your PR (Performance Review) which you have every 6 months.

Are the questions just common stuff that is in the health and hygiene booklet you get at orientation?
Reply 266
Aaron_1507
Are the questions just common stuff that is in the health and hygiene booklet you get at orientation?

Yeah, they can't be too hard if the everyday McDonald's worker is expected to pass. :smile:
And is the PR easy to pass?
Reply 268
Aaron_1507
And is the PR easy to pass?

I've never known anybody fail their probationary to be honest.
NickyP

Haha ok. The thing i hate at the moment is the managers don't trust you because they thing your new and aren't capable of doing things. But yeah it seems i have to wait until after my PR to do my SOCs.
Reply 270
Nikki,
they took 2 weeks to contact me

Thanks :biggrin: I read on their website that they should usually contact you within 7 days but from readin this thread i dont think anyone has been contacted within that time :mad:
Reply 271
NickyP

A girl failed at my restaurant because she took a fake 20quid note and didn't check. 4 new staff trainers have just been trained at our store and I'm new at the store, 4 weeks in - I'd like to work up the ladder to be honest which would give me a background so I can join the police as I've worked with the public! Any staff trainers or shift managers here?
D a v e
Thanks :biggrin: I read on their website that they should usually contact you within 7 days but from readin this thread i dont think anyone has been contacted within that time :mad:

i have 3 days for me :biggrin:
rt
A girl failed at my restaurant because she took a fake 20quid note and didn't check. 4 new staff trainers have just been trained at our store and I'm new at the store, 4 weeks in - I'd like to work up the ladder to be honest which would give me a background so I can join the police as I've worked with the public! Any staff trainers or shift managers here?

Nicky P is but he's offline atm.
Reply 274
rt

I'm a Shift Manager. :smile:

One of the girls in my store got 4 cash retrainers whilst on her probationary period and still didn't fail. I suppose it just depends what your store manager is like!
NickyP

One of the girls in my store got 4 cash retrainers whilst on her probationary period and still didn't fail. I suppose it just depends what your store manager is like!

Your not offline then :biggrin:
Reply 276
Aaron_1507
Your not offline then :biggrin:

Ha, I'm running a bath, as it just so happens!
NickyP
Ha, I'm running a bath, as it just so happens!

I get bored in baths....
Reply 278
NickyP

Oo brill - you enjoy it? I love working at McDonalds. Well I don't wake up and think wooo work, but I am enthuastic about getting it right, I like the drive thru alot. I worked in the kitchen one weekend and didn't enjoy it too much so I'd rather stay on the customer side of things. Do you plan to stay there for the forseable future? My longterm plan is to join the police but I'd rather do that in my late 20's.
Reply 279
rt

Im a Crew Trainer (have been for 3 years) and trainee shift runner. I finally agreed to it after being harassed for the same amount of time.

I dont really mind working with customers. The rare time im on the front i am Mr McDonalds, but i really love working in the kitchen and leading and being part of a team. We often have competitions between the front and back to see whether we can keep up with each other.

You tend to find those who have worked in the kitchen first have a better understanding of how to work as a team and not to constantly nag whoever is on production for food! You can probably gather that gets on my nerves

Matt

Latest

Trending

Trending