The Student Room Group

Whats the best way to prepare for your French Oral exams?

Whats the best way to prepare for your French Oral exams?

Give suggestions and share your experiences please :smile:
Reply 1
i did french for both gcse and a level. in all honest, if u have "general speaking discussion questions" as i did, the people in my class who got the top grades were the people who actually sat down and pretty much learnt the majority of the questions almost off by heart. for gcse i wud say if u have a good command of the language, obviously you won't need to learn every single on off by heart, but if u dont feel competant in the language, learning the answers in a way that actors learn their lines, rly rly rly helps. for a level it is harder as the examiner may ask unexpected questions, but again, if you learn answers to general dicsussion questions u have been given as a guide to what could be asked, then u should be able to adapt your answer and repeat sumthing u have learnt rather fluently.
i know it sounds like a lot of work learning stuff almost off by heart but it rly does make the world of difference. also, when going over possible questions, dont just go over the answers in your head, actually say the words out loud, or, even better, get your mum to test you. it is a lot different actually speaking french to just saying it in your head. physically talking in french naturally improves your accent and if u use a friend / parent / teacher to test u, this gets u used to the exam situation.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
I took Spanish but if it's prepared topics (well, 1 prepared, 1 sort of prepared) and then roleplays, it's pretty much the same I guess :biggrin:. My best advice is just to learn ALL your topics well! You may have a preference, but make sure even and esPECIALLY your worst one is up to a high standard =]. Personally, I recorded them on my laptop and then put them on my ipod so i could listen to them on the bus on the way to school (sounds sad, but the A* speaks for itself :wink:) that way you can learn it, and use it as a prompt when you try and remember it. you'll know you're ready when you're able to say the whole thing a little ahead of the recording without stopping :smile:
In terms of role play, most of them are fairly easy, make sure you know basic day today vocab -- eg. when you do go to the shops/cinema or something, think about what you are saying in english and see if you can say it in French in your head! In our exams, the students who went first did give actually give us tips (eg. you need to know the word for "size" in role play seven! *wink wink*) lol. not very ethical but we didn't ASK them to tell us!

Just chillax and don't panic and if you've learnt your stuff you'll do fine !

Good Luck, and feel free to pm for more Q&A :biggrin:

XxxxX
Reply 3
thanks guys
Reply 4
miss_cj
i did french for both gcse and a level. in all honest, if u have "general speaking discussion questions" as i did, the people in my class who got the top grades were the people who actually sat down and pretty much learnt the majority of the questions almost off by heart. for gcse i wud say if u have a good command of the language, obviously you won't need to learn every single on off by heart, but if u dont feel competant in the language, learning the answers in a way that actors learn their lines, rly rly rly helps. for a level it is harder as the examiner may ask unexpected questions, but again, if you learn answers to general dicsussion questions u have been given as a guide to what could be asked, then u should be able to adapt your answer and repeat sumthing u have learnt rather fluently.
i know it sounds like a lot of work learning stuff almost off by heart but it rly does make the world of difference. also, when going over possible questions, dont just go over the answers in your head, actually say the words out loud, or, even better, get your mum to test you. it is a lot different actually speaking french to just saying it in your head. physically talking in french naturally improves your accent and if u use a friend / parent / teacher to test u, this gets u used to the exam situation.

hope this helps :smile:

you seem really good at french ... can you tell me ... how do you say There are many people who don't eat healthily, so in the future they will have an unhealthy bodyin french?
Reply 5
Pre
you seem really good at french ... can you tell me ... how do you say There are many people who don't eat healthily, so in the future they will have an unhealthy bodyin french?

I take spanish so i can't help you translate that (other than a online translator. pfft!) but another tip for your exam - even if you do get asked to say something specific like that and you don't know how, don't panic! there's a way around everything. eg. I can't actually say they in Spanish, but I can say "there are many people who don't have a healthy diet, so in the future, they will be less healthy". in Spanish. It may not be quite what they asked for, but as long as you convey the right message, you wont lose any marks :yep:
XxxxX
From my experience: get a French love interest :wink:
Reply 7
Nandika
I take spanish so i can't help you translate that (other than a online translator. pfft!) but another tip for your exam - even if you do get asked to say something specific like that and you don't know how, don't panic! there's a way around everything. eg. I can't actually say they in Spanish, but I can say "there are many people who don't have a healthy diet, so in the future, they will be less healthy". in Spanish. It may not be quite what they asked for, but as long as you convey the right message, you wont lose any marks :yep:
XxxxX

I see... thanks :smile:
Reply 8
KayleeLand
From my experience: get a French love interest :wink:

that was helpful :rolleyes:
Pre
that was helpful :rolleyes:

It's how I learnt the language, and how I learn Spanish too.
Reply 10
My advice is to practise speaking in French as much as possible. And also LISTEN to the radio (can do this on the net) because even if you only understand a little bit of it, constant exposure to the language will really help your accent.
Reply 11
Pre

oooops! talk about a late response! only just saw now that u had quoted me. probs too late and not much use to tell you now but here we go anywaysss just in case:

il y a beaucoup de personnes qui ne mangent pas sainement, donc à l'avenir ils auront des corps malsains.
I just did my french speaking BUT i froze my mind went completely blank!:confused: so my teacher asked me to come do it another time :smile: but honestly my worst examination in my ENTIRE life
For A Level French I just made sure I practised as much as I could but tried to make it sound different each time, you don't want it to sound too well rehearsed otherwise there's no spontaneity. If you write out your speech on paper and ask friends to test you then that's helpful as well. Remember to always project your voice when you're practising as well. the amount of times my teacher had to tell me to speak up was annoying!
Original post by Starrstruck
For A Level French I just made sure I practised as much as I could but tried to make it sound different each time, you don't want it to sound too well rehearsed otherwise there's no spontaneity. If you write out your speech on paper and ask friends to test you then that's helpful as well. Remember to always project your voice when you're practising as well. the amount of times my teacher had to tell me to speak up was annoying!

the teacher can be so intimidating!!!:eek:
Original post by sultanan09
the teacher can be so intimidating!!!:eek:

Yeah I know exactly what you mean but you have to remember that it's your grade at the end of the day so you might as well get the most out of them. Plus they only want you to do good as well :smile:
Reply 16
Just revise revise revise
Yeah, revise a much as possible, learn the stuff and you should rock it 😉
:judge::judge::judge::judge::judge:
dont ask people to solve your problems.
golden shower out.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending