The Student Room Group

TSR Radiohead Society : Fake plastic thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
kingslaw
Nerrgghhh...I got kinda bored of Muse after Origin of Symmetry. Their first album was by far their best imo (although I've yet to meet someone who agrees with me). Although I have met the guys twice - once at Burger King at Manchester Piccadilly train station :smile:.

We're like that: *crosses fingers* :rolleyes:

showbiz is the best muse album. By quite far imo.

its the only one i ever listen to anymore, all there other albums are boring and repetitive.
Reply 61
escherbach
I haven't quite understood Muse. Radiohead has always been the one for me.

Irony: You have paraphrased the first line of 'space dementia' by muse ("H eight is the ooone for me!")

English student...you have absolutely got the point of "blame it on the sattelite...that beams me home". Neither I nor Kingslaw satisfactorily cracked it. It is about his girl watching hm on TV and realising how far apart they are, and how much she misses him. Might I also add that that it makes their relationship less personal, as everyone has as much access to Thom through the TV as she has. This must be frustrating.
Reply 62
Oh..and lets not turn this into the muse thread.

Later I shall post 20 questions about radiohead/their songs, that people can have a go at answering. It is not so much a quiz, as a more structured, general version of the blackstar analysis.
Radiohead > Muse anyway....
Reply 64
englishstudent
Hey, was wondering if any of you had or have head this.

It's basically some of Radiohead's most awesome songs being done by a concert pianist who's a big fan. If you haven't heard it (or if you have) what do you think of the idea? Would be interesting I think.

I've got that album - it's awesome, go get it now! go on! It's really good background music, and the 'karma policeman' interpretation that christopher o'riley did is really sinister and creepy. He also does a really fast version of 'been thinking about you' which compared to the original slow version sounds really cool.

Oh yes, and does anybody get really irritated when you inflict 'KidA' (the album, not the person on here!) on people and they just don't 'get it'? I'm obsessed with that album, especially 'how to disappear completely'.

oh, and I'll join!
Reply 65
the highpitched bits rock towards the end!

http://www.greenplastic.com/lyrics/

Great website! The best radiohead one on the net I believe!
Reply 67
My vote goes to...greenplastic.com :smile:
Reply 68
Both have their merits.

Some observations and questions.

1) You is apparantly a clichéd love song. Is it the worst radiohead song lyricaly, or is it cleverer than it looks?

2) "How do you?" is brilliantly applicable to a certain American leader...although was obviously written 10 years too early to be about him!

3) What the hell is planet telex about? It sound slike a riddle...but what are they on about?

4) What the hell is idioteque about? I would try to start a dissection of it, but I am clueless! Help!
Reply 69
Can I join, ive got all their albums and singles, even got an avater of the bends.
Reply 70
despite being a tory, we shall welcome you with open arms! :smile: Welcome comrade!
Reply 71
Although I shall impose a 5 post rule on all mebers. After 5 posts on this thread of some substance (this is to stop people posting 1 word posts in a desperate attempt to become a member of the hippest society in town), then they become members!

See my first post on this thread! :smile:
Phonicsdude
Both have their merits.

Some observations and questions.

2) "How do you?" is brilliantly applicable to a certain American leader...although was obviously written 10 years too early to be about him!

"He's a dangerous bigot, but we always forget / And he's just like his daddy"

That's what you call a prophecy hey! :biggrin:

Phonicsdude

4) What the hell is idioteque about? I would try to start a dissection of it, but I am clueless! Help!

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
I'll laugh until my head comes off
I'll swallow till I burst
Until I burst
Until I

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
I have seen too much
I haven't seen enough
You haven't seen it
I'll laugh until my head comes off
Women and children first
And children first
And children

Here I'm alllowed
Everything all of the time
Here I'm allowed

Ice age coming
Ice age coming
Let me hear both sides
Let me hear both sides
Let me hear both
Ice age coming
Ice age coming
Throw it in the fire
Throw it in the fire
Throw it on the

We're not scaremongering
This is really happening
Happening
We're not scaremongering
This is really happening
Happening
Mobiles squirking
Mobiles chirping
Take the money run
Take the money run
Take the money

Here I'm allowed
Here I'm allowed

Here I'm allowed
Here I'm allowed

The First of the children

For me the references to "bunker", "women and children first", "scaremongering" all suggest something to do with a war. And particularly nuclear war (or at least bombs). But then "ice age coming" is how people thought things would turn out if there was a nuclear war. Scaremongering is what a lot of people would say is going on now RE: T.W.A.T. (The War Against Terror). But other than that and to do with nuclear war it'd maybe have been the Cold War.

The dancey beat is perhaps to demonstrate the mentality of the scaremongering. The beat is like a pulse (or rather impulse) and drives the song forward even when it starts to not makes sense:

"I'll swallow till I burst
Until I burst
Until I"

Also I think it's laughing at dance music in general. I mean discotheque.. idioteque.

Reminds me of those Carlsberg adverts. If Radiohead did dance music.... it would probably be the best dance music in the world! :biggrin:

Anyway, I'd say more but me need some sleep. Might put on some music when the lights go out. (Am I allowed to make a Libertines reference in this thread? :eek: )
Reply 73
they are only the estimated lyrics btw.

thom hasn't told anyone the lyrics (even the band) and they're far from clear.
infact all the other members got a bit annoyed when they were recording as they found it hard to play when they didn't have a clue what the songs were about.
KidA
they are only the estimated lyrics btw.

thom hasn't told anyone the lyrics (even the band) and they're far from clear.
infact all the other members got a bit annoyed when they were recording as they found it hard to play when they didn't have a clue what the songs were about.

Yeah. But some of it is pretty clear. But it's true you can't make it all out.
Reply 75
Does anyone know if radiohead have got any tours or anything live planned anytime this year. I wanna get to glastonbury next year
Reply 76
englishstudent

Here I'm alllowed
Here I'm allowed

wow, after the millions of times I've played that album I always pictured him saying 'eat them alive' not 'here i'm allowed'. Gonna have to go and check that out now!
Reply 77
r_perry
Does anyone know if radiohead have got any tours or anything live planned anytime this year. I wanna get to glastonbury next year

no glastonbury next year i'm affraid.

i guess they'll do something when their next album comes out, which they are apparently working on now.
Reply 78
How the hell did Radiohead manage to turn this into the genius that is Idioteque?!? :eek:.

God bless those boys.
I reckon radiohead should tour sometime next year as should the strokes since their album is nearly done. Idioteque is such a genius song has anyone ever heard it in a club? (i haven't i'm just curious as to whether it gets played)

Quick Reply

Latest