The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

Cup of Inspiration
not really hun, probably means if you do well in your first/second year you can transfer to the degree, most unis ask for over 50% in both years

no its a degree, but if you don't pass your exams then they offer you the chance to go to diploma... because they want to reduce drop-out reate i assume... but they don't run it on its own...
but i am a BSc (Hons) Nursing Sciences Student
Reply 41
Heyyy... not sure if this will be relevent but hey ho !
phoned up NHS bursaries and they said most applications have been processed now and theyre going to start to hopefully send out letters soon. if not then the money will simply be put in your account.
dont shoot the messenger :tongue:
anyone doing nursing got a visable tattoo, as a footnote, but i have 3 stars on the inside of my right arm... i had 3 friends committ suicide last summer, and its for them.
i am doing mental health nursing, for similar reasons. but i never thought that it might not be allowed....
any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
louise_1229
anyone doing nursing got a visable tattoo, as a footnote, but i have 3 stars on the inside of my right arm... i had 3 friends committ suicide last summer, and its for them.
i am doing mental health nursing, for similar reasons. but i never thought that it might not be allowed....
any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

I also have 3 stars on my left arm (everyone seems to be doing it since i got it..grr) and its allowed, no one has blinked an eyelid, however, this isn't the appropiate place to ask this!
Reply 44
I'm panicking quite considerably about my bursary!

I rang nhs bursaries up and they've not received any info from the uni yet, the uni said they've sent it.. but until the bursary people get the info from uni they can't give me a reference number...

So i can't even apply at the moment!! :mad:

I'm moving into halls in 12days.. and worried about money - if my bursary doesn't get sorted for another 6-8wks or so, how on earth am i meant to survive until then?! :frown: I've been working, i think i'll be ok til mid / possibly end Oct at a push but any longer and eek!

On top of that i'm supposed to be sending my passport and things off - i don't really want to be without ID during freshers week because i look about 16 lol and i'm panicking i wont even have a bursary this side of Christmas at this rate!!!!

Anyone else in this situation?! :o:
Call up your universities student welfare office and ask for a crisis loan
Reply 46
dani_88 call your uni and ask them to send the info to the NHS bursaries AGAIN. I had this problem last year - I had heard nothing, and uni said they'd sent an email to the bursaries people listing who had been accepted onto the course but bursaries said they had no record of this.
BIG lack of communication somewhere.
Reply 47
dani_88
I'm panicking quite considerably about my bursary!

I rang nhs bursaries up and they've not received any info from the uni yet, the uni said they've sent it.. but until the bursary people get the info from uni they can't give me a reference number...

Ring your uni again.
This happened to me, the bursary people had no info on me yet the uni claimed to have said it. I rung the uni back and told them the situation and the lady sent the info off there and then.
I gave it a week before ringing back the bursary people and they were able to give me my reference number over the phone.

When it comes to sending things off, if you've a driving license keep hold of that. Send things like your passport/ birth certificate instead, that way you'll have ID on you aswell.
Reply 48
iv started to worry today after reading a few things that im not getting enough bursary???
i applied as an independent student as i have suppoerted myself for the last 3 years so im thinking i should get near the maximum amount allowed???

i had a letter ages ago saying i was getting about £2800 but iv read elsewhere on TSR that some people are getting £3600???
I'm doing speech and language therapy by the way! any help greatly appreciated!!!
Han265
iv started to worry today after reading a few things that im not getting enough bursary???
i applied as an independent student as i have suppoerted myself for the last 3 years so im thinking i should get near the maximum amount allowed???

i had a letter ages ago saying i was getting about £2800 but iv read elsewhere on TSR that some people are getting £3600???
I'm doing speech and language therapy by the way! any help greatly appreciated!!!

All healthcare degrees have a means tested bursary. There is a non-means tested loan of around £2200 i believe which everyone gets, but the actual bursary depends on your parents income (or your own income if youve been independent for at least 3 yrs), so it will depend. Its also different whether you live with your parents while at uni, if you live by yourself in london or if you live by yourself outside of london.
Reply 50
When we get our bursary i know we get two months worth..

Does this cover Sept and Oct..and we get another in November..
Or is it Oct and Nov and we don't see anymore bursary until Christmas?
queens students got info this week....

we get first six weeks, and uniform and books allowance two weeks into course by check
then after that it is paid retrospectively into the bank account...

£6055 annually :yup::mmm:
Reply 52
I was told that i get my first two months of NHS bursary paid in one instalment? They werent clear when this will be though?!
akacal1991
I was told that i get my first two months of NHS bursary paid in one instalment? They werent clear when this will be though?!

would be octoberish time, october and november is one installment..and you dotn get paid again till december- SO BUDGET!
Reply 54
But i start on the 1st of october? Do they expect me to start and pay rent without any money?
akacal1991
But i start on the 1st of october? Do they expect me to start and pay rent without any money?

yup, i had 6 weeks at the start of my course without any money
Reply 56
I think my first "two payments in one" came in around the 10th October. My course started around the 22nd September last year.

It covers September/October, regardless of which month you actually start in I believe (that's why they do it this way, as some people will start before the 'normal' Sept pay day, and others after). Then your first 'normal' payment will be on the third Friday in November.

I hope this helps.
Reply 57
suek
I think my first "two payments in one" came in around the 10th October. My course started around the 22nd September last year.

It covers September/October, regardless of which month you actually start in I believe (that's why they do it this way, as some people will start before the 'normal' Sept pay day, and others after). Then your first 'normal' payment will be on the third Friday in November.

I hope this helps.

Reply 58
lol I havent even applied for mine yet!

Filled everything out but still waiting for my proofs back from SLC. LOL.
Reply 59
My bursary is £250 a month less than last year.... :redface:(

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending