The Student Room Group

How tall will humans be in 1000 years?

People in their family are always taller than in the previous generation in the majority of cases. What I want to know is if the humans will become giants like 7ft or above in say 1000 years time! :woo:

Scroll to see replies

At least one will have a height between 100 and 101 cm.
I think we are all getting taller at the moment due to improved nutrition but it should slow down before we all end up 7ft or something!
Reply 3
4ft 6.

Every single one.
The people of the future will be smarter, fitter, taller and more beautiful than the people of today.
Reply 5
Not as tall as we would be without advances in medicine. Stupid medicine slowing down natural selection :p:
nuodai
Source? I find that hard to believe.

Really?
It's a common observation. But yeah, not "always".

I'm not sure about the genetics that will govern what will happen in the future (some think we'll have a split into a genetic underclass and genetically superior people who will be very tall), but the height changes in the last few hundred years can be attributed to better diets, greater energy intake and that.
Reply 7
GormlessWonder
Really?
It's a common observation. But yeah, not "always".

I'm not sure about the genetics that will govern what will happen in the future (some think we'll have a split into a genetic underclass and genetically superior people who will be very tall), but the height changes in the last few hundred years can be attributed to better diets, greater energy intake and that.

Nice source you've got there :p:

I'm skeptical because I've heard that the height changes over the last few centuries ("proven" supposedly by smaller doors in older buildings) are actually very much overexaggerated, and the average height hasn't gone up by much at all (maybe one or two inches) -- there's this, combined with that the average height in some other parts of the world has decreased.

So to answer your question, in 1000 years humans could be taller, shorter or about the same. Either way I doubt it'll make much difference, because there are far more differences in height between individuals now than there is between the average height now and 1000 years ago.
Reply 8
In a thousand years, we should level of at an Average male height of 6'3
I think we will all be dead in 1000 years, but that's just me.

If, however, we are still a thriving species, I think we will be much the same height but a lot fatter.
Fixesin
Not as tall as we would be without advances in medicine. Stupid medicine slowing down natural selection :p:

Fantastic :biggrin: Rep coming to you soon my friend :smile:
My children will be 10 feet tall.
Reply 12
in 1000 years the human race will be extincted. :shot:. :cry2:
Weren't the Germans the Romans were fighting about 6 feet tall from their protein high diets?

Height just reflects diet, we've largely peaked in that respect.

Expect people to gain a bit from hormones from parents but other then that I don't think there will be humans in the future anyway. Will cyborgs in the future be taller then humans today? probably.
I think his referring to a certain archeological finds of giant sized skeletal structures couple of 1000 years old, in the Arabian peninsula and North India. I'm not sure if they true, but I have come across certain articles on the net.
-WhySoSerious?
The people of the future will be smarter, fitter, taller and more beautiful than the people of today.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Reply 16
in 1000 years, there will be two average heights - 5 foot 1 for the normal person, and 10 foot for my breed of superhumans who will rule the world as the social elite.
Reply 17
bananaslug77
I think we will all be dead in 1000 years, but that's just me.

If, however, we are still a thriving species, I think we will be much the same height but a lot fatter.

Getting around in mobile vehicles like in Wall-E.
And in space.
Obviously.
Reply 18
we'll be wiped out by then, and the earth will be destroyed, but if,somehow, we weren't wiped out, I would say we'd all be nearly 8 ft, (some exceptions and variations obviousely)
Reply 19
2 kilometres.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending