The Student Room Group

Mature student 2010 entry thread!

Scroll to see replies

LooCee
I've applied to do Speech and Language Therapy! I think at the moment I'm more keen on UEA, my particular course is taught with problem based learning which is where you're given scenarios to work on rather than just having a lecturer talking at you which is my idea of hell, so that really appeals to me! Also, on the 'What uni' website, UEA is in the top 10 for practically every award category they have, and is number 1 in accommodation awards, plus there wasn't a single negative review. The social stuff seems like there's something to suit everyone, they even have a bar specially for graduates and people over 21! I think they also have quite a lot of mature students which would be nice :-) Also, from looking on facebook, the medicine and health profession students seem very close and have study groups and their own winter ball and social events so it all sounds really good!

I have no idea about the foundation year thing either, sorry! I'm studying with the OU at the moment as well, I'm doing the 60 point course, S104 - Exploring Science :smile:

I too just missed the S104 deadline to register lol, but I looked at the course material someone was selling on ebay and some of the book titles look awful and it seems mostly enviromental so im glad i didnt do it in the end.

UEA, well my man is just about to start his second year of mental health nursing there. I went to the open day in september/october (or there abouts ive been to so many different unis now lol im confused) ut it was hell! Instead of doing an anglia ruskin (cambridge) and only having pre-applied visitors, the UEA decided to mae it a free for all and the result was chaos. All the lectures were so full people were perching on steps and walkways and for me the times all clashed. I went with a friend to the nursing lecture and the impression I got was 'we have so many people apply, we couldn't give a stuff if you apply or not' that really really put me off. I don't care if I get offered a place there or not as most of the science course are not accredited either. The only plus side is that there is a free bus service that goes from kings lynn to the uni and it will save us a fortune. Downsides are the above and the fact that the hubby goes there, plus its soooooo ugly, expect the ECB is ok (where you would be studying right?)

ok I know that sounds like i've done nothing but slag them off, but unis should make an effort at open days. I went with 15 of my friends all wanting to go and we all came back deflated and really negitive. But I applied anyway as I had a free space and couldn't think of anywhere else local to go. It must be good though as like you said it just keeps winning stuff and alot of the people like it there, well the ones i know anyway. Hubby keeps telling me to go back and have another look as they could have been having a bad day?
Reply 41
I've been invited to a 'selection day' at UWE for Adult Nursing :smile:

I'm quite nervous, since I'm not the most outgoing person and they're looking for people who stand out in group discussions.
I'm hoping there will be a few other 'mature' students there, no offence to younger applicants but a large group of 18 year old girls is my idea of a nightmare! :o:
I'm Becki, I'm 23, will be 24 when I start.

I've got an unconditional offer from Birmingham City University to study Media Photography, and I can't wait. Although I am a little nervous that I'm going to be 6 years older than most people on the course. Although I get ID'd everywhere still, maybe I can still pass as 18, lol!
Hi,

Im 23 would be 24 when I start. Have applied to the following Uni's to study sociology and social policy.
City - offer
Goldsmiths - offer
Brunel and LSE.

I have a 16month old baby and very wondering about studying and juggling all my other responsibilities and how that will all pan out. But other than that very excited and psyched to start studying.

Does anyone know what you do about trying to organise child care ahead of time, where I live you have to book places months in advance, but how can I know when ill be in Uni and when I wont?
Ok, well i reckon I must be the Grandma of the posters so far. I'm 43 and have a place to study Podiatry at Plymouth. I can't wait to start. I'm a single Mum of 2 older kids - 11 & 13. I guess we will all study together. It will be hard juggling everything, but worth it I'm sure. I did an Applied Science degree on leaving school and loved it. I am really looking forward to getting back into studying.
Reply 45
Hi, I'm Melissa. I'll be 26 in about a week and a half, and I've got an unconditional offer to study for the MSc in Medical Anthropology at UCL.
Reply 46
spinningjackie
Ok, well i reckon I must be the Grandma of the posters so far. I'm 43 and have a place to study Podiatry at Plymouth. I can't wait to start. I'm a single Mum of 2 older kids - 11 & 13. I guess we will all study together. It will be hard juggling everything, but worth it I'm sure. I did an Applied Science degree on leaving school and loved it. I am really looking forward to getting back into studying.

Hi there!
No you're a youngster compared to me. I have a place at UCP Marjon, Plymouth and I will be 50 when I start!
Don't feel it though. Perhaps we could meet up when we're there.
My children are 21 and 18 and my daughter is hopefully off to Chichester in Sept.
I'm really excited at the thought of going to Uni too.
Reply 47
Hi I'm becki, I'm 24 (nearly 25), married with 3 little ones (7 3 and 2) studying access to Art & Design at TVU Reading, Sent my App off to Winchester on the 15th of Jan, this morning have got the date for my Interview :woo:
A quick update-on Saturday morning I was talking to my mum about how MMU Cheshire hadn't contacted me at all-not 10 minutes later, along came the postman, with an invite to audition on 20th February :smile:
Reply 49
pinkduvetdiva
A quick update-on Saturday morning I was talking to my mum about how MMU Cheshire hadn't contacted me at all-not 10 minutes later, along came the postman, with an invite to audition on 20th February :smile:

Ooo congratulations, best of luck!
Hi,

I'm 32 and will be 33 when I start. I did an Access to Applied Science last year and am currently working and completing my Maths A Level to improve my application. I've applied to:

Earth Science at Durham - has been sent to college so I am hopeful for an offer soon.
Earth Sciences at Glasgow - Unconditional Offer!
Earth Sciences at UCL - Acknowledged.
Geology at Bristol - Acknowledged.
Geology and Planetary Science at Manchester - Acknowledged.

The waiting is driving me crazy, I only applied on the 8th Jan so I know that it has not been that long and I'm hoping no news is good news.

I felt so much better when I got the Glasgow offer as I knew then I would be going somewhere!
Reply 51
RosiePeriwinkle
Hi,

I'm 32 and will be 33 when I start. I did an Access to Applied Science last year and am currently working and completing my Maths A Level to improve my application. I've applied to:

Earth Science at Durham - has been sent to college so I am hopeful for an offer soon.
Earth Sciences at Glasgow - Unconditional Offer!
Earth Sciences at UCL - Acknowledged.
Geology at Bristol - Acknowledged.
Geology and Planetary Science at Manchester - Acknowledged.

The waiting is driving me crazy, I only applied on the 8th Jan so I know that it has not been that long and I'm hoping no news is good news.

I felt so much better when I got the Glasgow offer as I knew then I would be going somewhere!

Good luck, I'm so jealous
Unconditional Offer

Two little words I would give anything to hear :yes:
Psylencia
Good luck, I'm so jealous

Two little words I would give anything to hear :yes:

I'm sure you will be fine! It is all so nerve wracking though.

Technically I have been given a conditional offer, I was expecting them to make an offer including my Maths grade, but when I looked the only condition was to provide proof that I have passed my access course, which I've done. I'm on edge about Durham as in my mind I've already found a nice little cottage for us to live in. :o: Our quality of life there would be much higher, we could rent a semi-detached 3 bed cottage for what we pay for a flat here. The OH's salary won't be any lower as he is a Maths teacher and the scales are national. I've got him a stack of application forms including a few promotions! I just hope I'm not setting myself up for too much dissapointment.

Winchester would be a lovely place to study, its a beautiful city. Do you live near there? I assume so as you go to TVU, I grew up in Reading so I know it well.
Reply 53
I live in a village about 20-30 mins drive from winchester, TVU in Reading is a tiring 2 and a half to 3 hour commute each way (Public transport - meh.)

Winch is my only real option if I want to escape a marathon commute as I cant uproot the Kids and Hubby - He's stay at home dad while I'm at Uni and in theory working (14months of job hunting has brought me no luck), and I don't think we'd fit the 5 of us in one of those teeny student family accommodation some Universities have.

Plus my mum studied at Winchester about 5/6 years ago when qualifying as a primary school teacher so she was able to give me a real insiders view :p:

Hope it all works out for you in Durham, Sounds like you're all set :biggrin:
Hi all

I'm 33 will be 34 (Just) when I start and a single mum of two (5 and 10). Currently doing an Access to Science course and have applied to...(see sig).

Nice to see there are so many of us oldies :biggrin:
Reply 55
luvlilhippos

Nice to see there are so many of us oldies :biggrin:

:woo: I'm not old *pulls on frankie says relax t-shirt* SEE SEE! I'm one of them!

Urgh, all that enthusiasm has worn me out, time for a cuppa and put me feet up.

Welcome to the boards good luck with the rest of the Access course and your applications
Psylencia
:woo: I'm not old *pulls on frankie says relax t-shirt* SEE SEE! I'm one of them!

Urgh, all that enthusiasm has worn me out, time for a cuppa and put me feet up.

:lol::rofl2::lol:

Thanks and Good luck for the 17th
Reply 57
luvlilhippos
:lol::rofl2::lol:

Thanks and Good luck for the 17th

Thank you :biggrin: every time I think about it I have to suppress a scream!
Hey peeps

I'm Hannah, 22, recently became single and decided the only way to move forward and get on with life is to go to uni. I didn't feel ready from school but I definitely do now! Especially as I see what a great time all my mates had.

I've applied for Microbiology at, London Met, Leicester, Leeds Met, Mancs Met, and Greenwich.

I did a science foundation year in 07 but didn't recieve the full qualification as I failed one exam worth 50% of one module :frown:
I mentioned this in my application and hope it's not too much of a problem. I also have 1 AS Level in psychology and 1 A level in film studies. Oh and a CertHE in Event Management, ick lol.

Only had two acknowledgements :tongue: Don't care where I go I JUST want ONE unconditional offer please. Pretty please? Lol

Good luck/well done to everyone else :smile:
Reply 59
Another mature student here, Laura, will be 29 when i hopefully start uni in september! see sig for where i've applied :smile:

Quick Reply