The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

The Oxford Postgraduate Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Literally dream come true for me... Rejected at undergraduate and am now going to Oxford to study for a masters! Also, got my first choice college!! Congratulations to everyone else who got offers... I have heard that this year was one of the toughest years ever for postgrad applications (more applicants per place than for undergrad).
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 21
Ritualise123
Hi everyone. Just noticed this thread-good idea! I felt so bad even saying that I got an offer on the applicants thread to be honest! I know I would have been so disappointed. We are really lucky though! Go us! I've an offer for the MSc in Criminology and Criminal Justice. My college choices were Merton and Corpus Christi. Gosh, I hope I'm not pooled! I also have an offer from Cambridge and was pooled to Hughes Hall (which is nice but a modern(ish) grad college on the outskirts of town). I know it's still Cambridge and all but you can't help feeling slightly disappointed, even though everyone always says you'll enjoy it wherever you are (yada, yada, yada). It's amazing how quickly one's anxiety focus moves from "will I get in?" to "will I be pooled?" So, I see CooCooCachoo also has an offer from Cambridge. Anyone else in the dilemma of wich one to pick? I have friends at both this year but they're naturally biased. I'd like to hold out to see about colleges but I feel myself veering towards Oxford a little due to a slightly different course emphasis. Ahhh, decisions, decisions....

It's such a tough situation, isn't it? But it's an enviable situation nonetheless, and it really forces you to delve into the programmes even more to figure out what you want to get out of Oxbridge. I also find myself veering towards Oxford, mostly because the degree seems more rounded and because it was my first choice when I applied for both. I told myself to really base my decision on the academic specifications. Even though I also have friends at or going to both Oxford and Cambridge, I don't think it's fair to factor this in.

Silly as this may sound, I also think Oxford might be right because of a gut feeling. I know it's entirely irrational, but my mother has always told me to follow my instinct. Too many times I have bypassed her advise only to find out that it was worth listening to. The Oxford degree was the one I marked as my first choice when I applied for both and when I had to rank them for my scholarship application. I think this is a very meaningful reflection as well. But while this play a role in the back of my mind, I will still decide based upon the features of the MPhils.

Good luck making the decision :woo:
Reply 22
probably not
i have plenty of fun, i just don't do enough work! i did my undergrad here as well so i guess my perspective is a bit different from what you'd get as a newcomer.

I know it's a long shot, but if you are studying European Politics and Society, I'd really appreciate it if you could send me a PM. I understand your reasons for wanting to remain anonymous on here, but I would love to hear from a current student what the programme is like.
I have an offer for the MSt in Medieval History, though whether I am able to take it up depends on funding decisions which will be reached in the coming months.
CooCooCachoo
It's such a tough situation, isn't it? But it's an enviable situation nonetheless, and it really forces you to delve into the programmes even more to figure out what you want to get out of Oxbridge. I also find myself veering towards Oxford, mostly because the degree seems more rounded and because it was my first choice when I applied for both. I told myself to really base my decision on the academic specifications. Even though I also have friends at or going to both Oxford and Cambridge, I don't think it's fair to factor this in.

Silly as this may sound, I also think Oxford might be right because of a gut feeling. I know it's entirely irrational, but my mother has always told me to follow my instinct. Too many times I have bypassed her advise only to find out that it was worth listening to. The Oxford degree was the one I marked as my first choice when I applied for both and when I had to rank them for my scholarship application. I think this is a very meaningful reflection as well. But while this play a role in the back of my mind, I will still decide based upon the features of the MPhils.

Good luck making the decision :woo:

You're right about the gut feeling. Friends and family (including my mother!) are advising me to go with that; the only problem is figuring out what that gut feeling is!! :p: I think it's Oxford...maybe! :confused: Is there such a thing as a gut gut feeling? :smile: Anyway, can't complain! :woo:

I did love Oxford when I visited briefly in January, despite barely being able to walk due to all the snow and ice! Even while clinging on to the buildings for dear life, I could still appreciate the total beauty of the place. I've heard it described as 'an academic's themepark'. Quite apt!
probably not
i have plenty of fun, i just don't do enough work! i did my undergrad here as well so i guess my perspective is a bit different from what you'd get as a newcomer.

Haha! The eternal student dilemma strikes again. It's amazing how you convince yourself that you simply must go to this friend of a friend of a friend's birthday party when you have a major essay due in a couple of days! I'm sure everyone feels the same. It's hard to find a balance. Having said that, I'm hoping to be a little more balanced than I was for my undergrad. A little less of this: :cheers: , a litle more of this: :work:
Congrats! Good luck sorting out the finances/funding. To be honest, the likelihood that you will be fully funded by college is infinitesimal. If I recall correctly, Oxford's bursaries rarely cover all expenses. Did you apply for any Singaporean or other scholarships?

I did apply for the Chevening Scholarships, Claredon Scholarships, and other potential scholarships here in Singapore. But everything is pending - in the process of being called up for interview, in the process of maybe/maybe not being shortlisted.

Would be eternally greatful if there were any forthcoming funding from the colleges. It would take a great financial burden off myself and my parents. *cross fingers*
Reply 27
Ritualise123
Haha! The eternal student dilemma strikes again. It's amazing how you convince yourself that you simply must go to this friend of a friend of a friend's birthday party when you have a major essay due in a couple of days! I'm sure everyone feels the same. It's hard to find a balance. Having said that, I'm hoping to be a little more balanced than I was for my undergrad. A little less of this: :cheers: , a litle more of this: :work:

Ha, my sentiments exactly. I already made a pledge to limit my alcohol intake to the occasional glass of wine for dinner, though whether I'll be able to stick to that intention is doubtful at best :p:
Reply 28
soulgroove
I did apply for the Chevening Scholarships, Claredon Scholarships, and other potential scholarships here in Singapore. But everything is pending - in the process of being called up for interview, in the process of maybe/maybe not being shortlisted.

Would be eternally greatful if there were any forthcoming funding from the colleges. It would take a great financial burden off myself and my parents. *cross fingers*

Fingers crossed indeed. I'm also hoping for Claredon, but I am only treating it as an unexpected windfall; it's best to not hang yourself up on that fund given the microscopic chance that you will be awarded it.

If you don't get any funding, will you still venture to Oxford?
Ritualise123

haha "major essay" is much more of a problem when it's a doctoral thesis - if i was just dodging course essays my life would be a lot more manageable!

If you don't get any funding, will you still venture to Oxford?

That's the KEY problem I would guess. I got an offer from LSE too. On the website, it appears that it is much easier to defer for LSE as compared to Oxford.

If I get no funding, what I would probably do is to defer LSE, work 1 year and then go for LSE.

But it totally sucks to give up Oxford which is like a dream.

Anyone has any idea the chances of approval of deferment application for Oxford?
Reply 31
brewski
Hey!
Good idea to start this thread.
For me I'll be doing the MPhil in Political Theory, and I applied for Nuffield as my first choice, and Balliol as my second. Does anybody know how long it takes the colleges to get back to us? I know the Oxon website says we should expect a response by May 28.. but I'm hoping it's sooner than that..

Congrats to all the admits!! I'm *super* excited about going to Oxford.

Balliol are almost always horrendously oversubcribed for graduate students- I think they were second most popular overall and first for graduates in the last two years, so I would be surprised if you get an offer- based on it being your second choice- they can usually fill the college twice over with first choices, so don't have to look at seconds or the pool- that might change though, but I doubt it. Nuffield is a strange one- personally I'd hate it there- there's about 20 freshers a year and about 70 students, so the graduate community is tiny and not all that closely knit either. Some people love that though, as it gives them freedom from their college crowd- 90% of the people I know in Oxford I know through Balliol or my faculty. Nuffield is also oversubscribed due to its small capacity, so in your case it could be a while, and you might have to prepare yourself to be offered neither unfortunately.

I reckon St Ant's is underrated though, every party I've been to there has been good- it's in a decent part of town and close to most things, and despite being a post-WWII college the architecture is nice in parts, 60s in others- but then again so is Balliol.
very very slim unfortunately. but if you get in this year you'll probably get in next year.

(edit: this was a response to soulgroove about deferring; while i was typing another post appeared.)
Reply 33
0404343m
Balliol are almost always horrendously oversubcribed for graduate students- I think they were second most popular overall and first for graduates in the last two years, so I would be surprised if you got an offer- based on it being your second choice- they can usually fill the college twice over with first choices, so don't have to look at seconds or the pool- that might change though, but I doubt it. Nuffield is a strange one- personally I'd hate it there- there's about 20 freshers a year and about 70 students, so the graduate community is tiny and not all that closely knit either. Some people love that though, as it gives them freedom from their college crowd- 90% of the people I know in Oxford I know through Balliol or my faculty. Nuffield is also oversubscribed due to its small capacity, so in your case it could be a while, and you might have to prepare yourself to be offered neither unfortunately.

I reckon St Ant's is underrated though, every party I've been to there has been good- it's in a decent part of town and close to most things, and despite being a post-WWII college the architecture is nice in parts, 60s in others- but then again so is Balliol.

Thanks for your opinion. I don't know that much about the individual colleges, as I'm Canadian, but I had heard good things about Nuffield and Balliol. I kind of like the small-ness of Nuffield, plus I've talked to someone who goes there now and loves it. So hopefully I'd get in there, but it seems like postgrad education is slightly less dependent on the college when compared to undergrad programs, so maybe it'll be fine? In any case, I'm just looking forward to coming to Oxford.
Well it's been a while since I've posted on here, but I guess as I'm going to be a student again it makes sense!

I have just been accepted for the Mst in Classical Archaeology - I'm over the moon about it and so excited about going back to Oxford! I'm hoping to get a place at St John's (where I did my undergrad), my second choice being Brasenose.

Hi everyone :smile:
Reply 35
I've been accepted for the MSc in Water Science, Policy & Management. I have been accepted to Wolfson College - my top choice. I've heard that I was nominated for the Clarendon by my department (Geography & the Environment), but I don't really know what that nomination means as far as the odds of actually getting the scholarship.
normally being nominated for clarendon by the department means you'll get it, so you should be ok.
Agrippina,

Congrats! Btw, awesome name. :smile: I've applied for the M.St in Classical Archaeology too, did you receive your letter via email or regular post? I'm in the States so hoping I got in but haven't received an email either! I also chose Brasenose as one of my colleges, and Lincoln too I believe. What area/time frame are you planning on studying?

Congrats again!!:smile:
oracleapollo
Agrippina,

Congrats! Btw, awesome name. :smile: I've applied for the M.St in Classical Archaeology too, did you receive your letter via email or regular post? I'm in the States so hoping I got in but haven't received an email either! I also chose Brasenose as one of my colleges, and Lincoln too I believe. What area/time frame are you planning on studying?

Congrats again!!:smile:

Hey! I emailed Barbara Norris (graduate studies administrator for Archaeology) because I couldn't bear the wait any longer and she promptly emailed me my offer letter (which will presumably arrive by post soon as it was dated 23 March). :smile:

I'm going to be studying the early Roman empire, with Pompeii/Ostia and the Topography of the City of Rome! How about you?
Reply 39
Guys, if you really feel that you need to have a separate offer holders' thread, could you please make sure it remains an offer holders' thread and try to keep it free of the sort of stuff which belongs in the Oxford graduate applicants' thread (i.e. questions about the application process by prospective applicants or applicants who haven't heard back yet)?:erm: Otherwise we'll end up with two near-identical threads, in which case they'll have to be merged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending