The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gozatron
You are right in thats its officially 7 but every year they get more than enough applicants to move the cut-off upto 8-8.5 easily.

But 9 will be safe yeah??

Original post by Insanity514
Shame on you for losing :wink:

What time is yours? Mine's at 11 :eek:

Feeling prepared?

I know :redface:

Mines at 10.. so extra :eek:

Not prepared in any way!! I just seem to completely fail at QR!! :tongue: Hows about you??
Original post by spoinkytheduck
But 9 will be safe yeah??

I know :redface:

Mines at 10.. so extra :eek:

Not prepared in any way!! I just seem to completely fail at QR!! :tongue: Hows about you??

Today's the first day I started doing haf decent in the practice tests, but still not too confident :s-smilie:
Hopefully we'll both ace it on the day :wink:
Today's the first day I started doing haf decent in the practice tests, but still not too confident :s-smilie:
Hopefully we'll both ace it on the day :wink:

Fingers crossed!! :redface:
Although if we fail.. theres always Birmingham!! :biggrin:

EDIT: Just noticed you are a Leicester-er, so am I.. muchly cool :smile: Might see you in there if you're taking the UKCAT at Leicester! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Fingers crossed!! :redface:
Although if we fail.. theres always Birmingham!! :biggrin:

EDIT: Just noticed you are a Leicester-er, so am I.. muchly cool :smile: Might see you in there if you're taking the UKCAT at Leicester! :tongue:

Heyy cool. I might see you too then :tongue:
What college do you got to by the way?
Heyy cool. I might see you too then :tongue:
What college do you got to by the way?

I'll be the one panicking, crying and failing.. it wont be hard to spot me :tongue:

I go QE.. you?
I'll be the one panicking, crying and failing.. it wont be hard to spot me :tongue:

I go QE.. you?

Wooo I go to QE as well! That means I meay have seen you around not knowing you :wink:
Wooo I go to QE as well! That means I meay have seen you around not knowing you :wink:

Yeeah, QE is for the cool kids :cool:

Haha, lol.. maybee.. maybe not :ninja:
Reply 47
Original post by ManicJM
Birmingham does prosection not dissection, although I don't see it a major loss, it is still very useful.
Clinical placements vary in distance, but they try to organise it so your average distance is roughly equal to everyone elses, over the 5 years.

What's the demographic like at Birmingham? Mix of females/males and cultures? My assumption is that there are many (male) asians there than other uni's, though probs not true...?
Hi. I'm a re-applicant who is wondering what his chances of attains an interview at B'ham this year. I achieved 7 A*s at GCSE level (plus several As), and although that normally isn't enough for B'ham, I have achieved A*AA at A-level. Will this improve my chances of being invited to interview?

Thanks.
Original post by nexttime
Why risk it? There is probably a (small) chance, but if you don't meet the requirements then you are just wasting a choice. Logically, you would have a better chance at a med school where you meet their requirements.

Because their success rate post-interview is like 90%. I remember reading somewhere that their A* requirement at GCSE is decreased if the standard A-level grades asked for have been achieved. I'm not too sure though, which is why I'm asking for clarification.
Reply 50
Yeah, I thought that if you had achieved your grades already, you need 5A*s?
ring up and ask, that's the easiest way of getting the best answer for a specific uni.
Original post by as_94
Yeah, I thought that if you had achieved your grades already, you need 5A*s?

Yeah, I read that too. However, I don't know if it's enough...they also said that the minimum for year 13 students was 7 A*s and yet their cut-off was 8. Difficult to say. It would be helpful if we could get some info from a gapper who applied to B'ham with similar grades.

Original post by Bellissima
ring up and ask, that's the easiest way of getting the best answer for a specific uni.

I set them an email (well a few emails actually). As you'd expect, they're as enigmatic as can be. They basically referred me to the 'A100 entry requirements' section of their website.
Original post by Rocket_Science
Hi. I'm a re-applicant who is wondering what his chances of attains an interview at B'ham this year. I achieved 7 A*s at GCSE level (plus several As), and although that normally isn't enough for B'ham, I have achieved A*AA at A-level. Will this improve my chances of being invited to interview?

Thanks.

Last year the started interviewing at about 8.5 A*s at GCSE for those who went on with predictions. Obviously for you it will be different because you have achieved their grades already. However, they can do (and they will) whatever they want. Last year I got an offer while people with better GCSEs and grades were rejected without an interview, so don't take it for granted that you will get an interview if you decide to apply. Also from my experience, Birmingham is not very helpful with entry requirements and such and so it will be difficult to get them to say what your chances are.

It's just up to you. If you like the course then go for it. Birmingham is an amazing city and the medical schools is awesome! but do remember that it is a bit risky.

Also, the success rate post-interview was 90% many years ago... now its more like 60%-70%, as it goes down every year.

Good Luck!
Original post by areyousure?
Last year the started interviewing at about 8.5 A*s at GCSE for those who went on with predictions. Obviously for you it will be different because you have achieved their grades already. However, they can do (and they will) whatever they want. Last year I got an offer while people with better GCSEs and grades were rejected without an interview, so don't take it for granted that you will get an interview if you decide to apply. Also from my experience, Birmingham is not very helpful with entry requirements and such and so it will be difficult to get them to say what your chances are.

It's just up to you. If you like the course then go for it. Birmingham is an amazing city and the medical schools is awesome! but do remember that it is a bit risky.

Also, the success rate post-interview was 90% many years ago... now its more like 60%-70%, as it goes down every year.

Good Luck!

You're right there. It's probably not worth the risk considering the post-interview success rate. May I ask where you got those figures, by the way? I just can't seem to find an up-to-date set of statistics for b'ham (and medicine in general).
Original post by Rocket_Science
You're right there. It's probably not worth the risk considering the post-interview success rate. May I ask where you got those figures, by the way? I just can't seem to find an up-to-date set of statistics for b'ham (and medicine in general).

Well I think there are unis where you will have a better chance, just my opinion. Well last year I had an interview there and we were told it was 70% success rate but then it decreases every year. Last year someone also linked some stats about the number of interviews they had and how many offers they give out (more or less double the number of places they have) but I can't find them right now... sorry
Reply 56
Original post by Cleoleo
What's the demographic like at Birmingham? Mix of females/males and cultures? My assumption is that there are many (male) asians there than other uni's, though probs not true...?

bout 55 to 45 female to male, not as many asians as in London universities.
Reply 57
Original post by Cleoleo

More females than males. There are quite a few asian students, as well as other backgrounds. Can't really say if there is more here compared to other unis, I doubt it to be honest. All I can say is there is a good mix here :smile:
Original post by gozatron
Just out of interest is Birmingham strictly prosection? Ie) the demonstrator would never occasionally pick someone out to do a bit of dissection?

Prosection means that the specimen is already dissected, so there is nothing else to dissect effectively, for what they want to show you. No, people do not get 'picked out to do some', it is all prosection. Birmingham did used to have an anatomy SSM where you could undertake some dissection in a small area of your choice, but this was highly competitive and I don't know whether they still do it.
Original post by junior.doctor
Prosection means that the specimen is already dissected, so there is nothing else to dissect effectively, for what they want to show you. No, people do not get 'picked out to do some', it is all prosection. Birmingham did used to have an anatomy SSM where you could undertake some dissection in a small area of your choice, but this was highly competitive and I don't know whether they still do it.

I went on the open day and heard about the SSM with dissection.. they still do it :smile: (and its still massively competitive!!)

Quick Reply