Nottingham Applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
I'm applying for French and Spanish with beginner's German :biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I need some informaton regarding English at Nottingham!

Firstly, how many places are there for English Language and Literature? and how many applicants?

Secondly, I'm thinking of applying for English and Creative Writing however there are only 18 places, and I don't want to reduce my chance of being accepted because it was really good.

Can ANYONE help me?

Many thanks!
Reply 122
Any Lawyers around?
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Moi! :smile: I've also been told that loughborough is very well respected. I don't think I'll apply there though as its a bit risky applying before seeing it. My only worry about southampton is that I don't think I'll get in. I only got ABBD at AS so I feel like i'm taking a bit of a risk.

Ah okay, don't worry about it. You don't need offers from all 5, besides you are supposed to put a few above where you currently are. Cambridge is a risk for me, but it's worth taking. It's only 1 of your 5 choices anyway :smile:
I wouldn't worry about it too much :smile:
I want to do English Literature and Language and the entry requirements are AAA-AAB, my predicted grades are AAB so do you think this will put me at a disadvantage or not?
Reply 125
You could be OK. Just do a good PS and give it your best shot. Nottingham is certainly worth going to,
Reply 126
Original post by la343
I'm applying for Natural Sciences :biggrin:
I sent my UCAS form to my tutor today!

Same! :^_^: What other unis are you considering? And what are your grades like? Although my predictions are likely to be AAA, I'm really worried about my GCSE grades!

I'm thinking off applying to: UCL, Notts, Leeds for NatSci and Birmingham and Liverpool for Biological Sciences.

and I'm not sure how essential maths is?! Very scared/confused!
Reply 127
Original post by fosaaa
Same! :^_^: What other unis are you considering? And what are your grades like? Although my predictions are likely to be AAA, I'm really worried about my GCSE grades!

I'm thinking off applying to: UCL, Notts, Leeds for NatSci and Birmingham and Liverpool for Biological Sciences.

and I'm not sure how essential maths is?! Very scared/confused!

:biggrin: Yay! I'm applying to Cambridge :colondollar:, Durham, UCL and Bath, and my predicted grades are A*A*A*a :s-smilie:. I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSEs (although I'm sure they're not as bad as you think!), I think they focus mainly on AS grades and predicted grades.

Those seem like good choices! I'm applying for physical NatSci so I need maths, but I don't think it would be essential for biological, if that helps.
Reply 128
Original post by Lewis :D

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];34324621]I'm applying for French and Spanish with beginner's German :biggrin:

Hey! I'm thinking of applying for that (except with beginners Russian) and I was wondering if you mentioned the ab- initio language in your personal statement? All the other universities I'm applying for only allow me to take 2 languages or allow me the option of taking up the third when I'm already there so I just haven't mentioned Russian at ALL in my statement. It's all about French, Spanish and language in general. Do you think this will prevent me getting an offer?

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by lk2011
Hey! I'm thinking of applying for that (except with beginners Russian) and I was wondering if you mentioned the ab- initio language in your personal statement? All the other universities I'm applying for only allow me to take 2 languages or allow me the option of taking up the third when I'm already there so I just haven't mentioned Russian at ALL in my statement. It's all about French, Spanish and language in general. Do you think this will prevent me getting an offer?

EDIT: Forgot to say thanks for any help :smile:

I didn't mention German at all. Nottingham was a last minute choice and I'd already done all of my statement. As long as you make sure you show your passion for French and Spanish I don't think they'll care, they probably know you can't do three languages at a lot of places. On your UCAS form though you have to declare what languages you wanna do in the 'further details' box, so for me it was FrenchSpanishGerman. Hope this helps you a bit. Where else you applying to?
Reply 130

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];34361111]I didn't mention German at all. Nottingham was a last minute choice and I'd already done all of my statement. As long as you make sure you show your passion for French and Spanish I don't think they'll care, they probably know you can't do three languages at a lot of places. On your UCAS form though you have to declare what languages you wanna do in the 'further details' box, so for me it was FrenchSpanishGerman. Hope this helps you a bit. Where else you applying to?

Oh okay, that makes me feel a lot better because I really don't have the space to mention it! Besides, as you said, very few universities actually offer three languages and I wouldn't have thought it very common for many people to even have 2 languages at post- A- level standard! It sounds like a really challenging course though which I love.

Also applying to Cambridge ( :s-smilie: ) UCL, Durham and St. Andrew's. What about you? I'm between Nottingham and Edinburgh for my 5th choice. I prefer the course in Nottingham- I'd love to take up a new language!- but Edinburgh is significantly cheaper for me (I'm an EU applicant). However I know I should go with the course I prefer so I'll probably end up choosing Nottingham! :smile:
Reply 131
Original post by lk2011
Oh okay, that makes me feel a lot better because I really don't have the space to mention it! Besides, as you said, very few universities actually offer three languages and I wouldn't have thought it very common for many people to even have 2 languages at post- A- level standard! It sounds like a really challenging course though which I love.

Also applying to Cambridge ( :s-smilie: ) UCL, Durham and St. Andrew's. What about you? I'm between Nottingham and Edinburgh for my 5th choice. I prefer the course in Nottingham- I'd love to take up a new language!- but Edinburgh is significantly cheaper for me (I'm an EU applicant). However I know I should go with the course I prefer so I'll probably end up choosing Nottingham! :smile:

I'm applying for UCL too! You applying for Modern Languages (French & Spanish)? The others I'm applying for are King's College, Southampton and Aberystwyth. Ahh I know, the £9,000 fees are terrible. I'm lucky as I don't pay £9,000. Where in the EU do you live? :smile:
Reply 132

[QUOTE=Lewis [excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace];34361665]I'm applying for UCL too! You applying for Modern Languages (French & Spanish)? The others I'm applying for are King's College, Southampton and Aberystwyth. Ahh I know, the £9,000 fees are terrible. I'm lucky as I don't pay £9,000. Where in the EU do you live? :smile:

Oh wow, how come you don't have to pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah that's the course haha! :biggrin: I was between that and the Language and Culture course but I didn't like the idea of having to choose a major language and minor language.

I'm from Ireland :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by lk2011
Oh wow, how come you don't have to pay, if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah that's the course haha! :biggrin: I was between that and the Language and Culture course but I didn't like the idea of having to choose a major language and minor language.

I'm from Ireland :smile:

I'm Welsh, so mine are around £3,400 per year. The rest is subsidised by the Welsh Government :smile:
Reply 134
Is anyone here planning on applying for Computer Science or Software Engineering? I'd want to apply but i'm a bit reluctant with having gotten BCCD grades at AS (D was a very narrow miss out on a C)and not the greatest of GCSEs. Would it be worth my while with targets ABC and a pass in the Welsh bacc?
Reply 135
Original post by Vitanova
Is anyone here planning on applying for Computer Science or Software Engineering? I'd want to apply but i'm a bit reluctant with having gotten BCCD grades at AS (D was a very narrow miss out on a C)and not the greatest of GCSEs. Would it be worth my while with targets ABC and a pass in the Welsh bacc?

I'm applying for Computer Science :biggrin: My AS's weren't great but there are valid reasons which are being put through from teacher references, and I'm being predicted ABB, which is what they want. I'm doing some resits, but I may apply for the one with foundation year just to be on the safe side though!
Reply 136
Probably applying here for Biochem, still need to go to an open day to get a feel for it, but it looks pretty fantastic.
Original post by carlos the third
Maths G103 applicant here. Anyone else applying for maths and if so what other unis are you applying to?

Sent my application in yesterday for Maths :woo:
Reply 138
Original post by Rho22
Applying for Chemical Engineering!

Loved it when I went to the open day in June, no other univeristy open day I went to had a bbq either :tongue:

Finally found someone also applying to chemical engineering :P what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? XD
Reply 139
Original post by ru7lan
Finally found someone also applying to chemical engineering :P what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking? XD

Hey! I got 4A's at AS, how about you? Where else are you applying to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending