The Student Room Group

Physics Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Username: Mikey73
GCSEs: 8a*, 6a, 1b
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Extended Project, General Studies
A2 levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths
Currently considering: Oxford, Imperial, Kings, Manchester and Leeds

Physics at Oxford, Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial, Physics and Maths at Kings and Manchester, Theoretical Physics at Leeds.
Worrying about the Physics Aptitude Test at the moment. And the fact my college have had my UCAS application for a week and haven't even started my reference yet. :frown:
Reply 201
I'm sending my application off this week, my choices are Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton and Edinburgh. I really hope I'll get some offers!
Is anyone else applying for entry to second year at Edinburgh? I've written them an email because I'm not sure how to apply for that but they haven't answered yet. :s-smilie:
Reply 202
Original post by MinpoloD

Hi all,
I've nearly sorted my choices out. Applying for: St Andrews, Sheffield and Leicester. Been thinking about Manchester as it's really good, just not 100% sure about it. Also stuck choosing between Cardiff and Southampton. Southampton is 'better', but I didn't see much of it and I preferred Cardiff as a city (+ Dr Who and Torchwood are filmed there)

Any advice?

Also have you all visited your choices. I've only been to Cardiff and Southampton out of the ones I'm considering, and I've missed most of the open days

I can't give you any specific help as I've never been to either, but you've got to think about where you would want to spend the next three or four years of your life. So if you feel you like Cardiff more, apply there!

And I've only visited Sheffield (live here) and Manchester and I like them both a lot, but I don't know much about the others, I've been to Edinburgh once a few years ago but that's it.
As soon as I sent off my application I'm going to go there and Southampton for a couple of days just to get the feel of the town.
Reply 203
Original post by capa
I'm sending my application off this week, my choices are Manchester, Sheffield, Southampton and Edinburgh. I really hope I'll get some offers!
Is anyone else applying for entry to second year at Edinburgh? I've written them an email because I'm not sure how to apply for that but they haven't answered yet. :s-smilie:

I believe you don't have to decide that until you enroll. At least that's how it is for St Andrews. I've had a look on Edinburgh's website and it seems that the entry requirements for both years are different so I'm not sure. How about phoning them instead of emailing?
Original post by Mikey73
Username: Mikey73
GCSEs: 8a*, 6a, 1b
AS Levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Extended Project, General Studies
A2 levels: Physics, Maths, Further Maths
Currently considering: Oxford, Imperial, Kings, Manchester and Leeds

Physics at Oxford, Physics with Theoretical Physics at Imperial, Physics and Maths at Kings and Manchester, Theoretical Physics at Leeds.
Worrying about the Physics Aptitude Test at the moment. And the fact my college have had my UCAS application for a week and haven't even started my reference yet. :frown:

I had Leeds on my list but other people said it wasn't up there with the best ones. Is it your insurance or is it better than others think? I'm going for theoretical too.
Hi all,
I've nearly sorted my choices out. Applying for: St Andrews, Sheffield and Leicester. Been thinking about Manchester as it's really good, just not 100% sure about it. Also stuck choosing between Cardiff and Southampton. Southampton is 'better', but I didn't see much of it and I preferred Cardiff as a city (+ Dr Who and Torchwood are filmed there)

Any advice?

Also have you all visited your choices. I've only been to Cardiff and Southampton out of the ones I'm considering, and I've missed most of the open days

I've been to Leeds, Durham, Oxf as school had trips there! there will be open days or post offer days for us to visit the others. I know you're meant to visit lots but I couldn't afford it
Original post by capa

I'm thinking of Sheffield too. are you picking it as you're local or have you visited and its really good? you'd think I'd have decided by now but....
Reply 207
I believe you don't have to decide that until you enroll. At least that's how it is for St Andrews. I've had a look on Edinburgh's website and it seems that the entry requirements for both years are different so I'm not sure. How about phoning them instead of emailing?

Oh right, thanks for the info! I was thinking about phoning them, trying to avoid that though since I'm a bit awkward on phones :biggrin:
If I don't get an email by tomorrow I will ring up!
kings, southampton and sheffield are all AAB, how likely do you think they'll give you offers if your predictions/AS meets it?
Reply 209
Original post by alcimedes

Original post by alcimedes
I'm thinking of Sheffield too. are you picking it as you're local or have you visited and its really good? you'd think I'd have decided by now but....

Both really. I visited them on their Open day in June and liked the look of their physics department. If you're interested in astrophysics it's got quite a strong department for that, their physics and astrophysics course is 50/50 as opposed to 75/25.
Yeah I would definitely recommend Sheffield, it's a lovely city too!
Original post by capa
Oh right, thanks for the info! I was thinking about phoning them, trying to avoid that though since I'm a bit awkward on phones :biggrin:
If I don't get an email by tomorrow I will ring up!

I called up St. Andrews about the same thing, and although the guy didn't seem too happy about it he DID explain it to me (and he didn't know who I was so he can't hold it against me :P) I hope that you get it figured out :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 211
Original post by DeathByNinja

I called up St. Andrews about the same thing, and although the guy didn't seem too happy about it he DID explain it to me (and he didn't know who I was so he can't hold it against me :P) I hope that you get it figured out :smile:

Haha I hope they'll do the same at Edinburgh! Where else are you applying to?
Original post by fuzzybear
kings, southampton and sheffield are all AAB, how likely do you think they'll give you offers if your predictions/AS meets it?

I emailed Southampton and if you're predicted AAB or above, you're pretty much guaranteed an offer.
Original post by vedderfan94
I emailed Southampton and if you're predicted AAB or above, you're pretty much guaranteed an offer.

Wow thats great, its refreshing how straight they are with their answer because I too contacted a number of universities and every one of them were reluctant or gave very vague response citing the fact that it depends on other applicant's profiles as well.
Original post by capa
Haha I hope they'll do the same at Edinburgh! Where else are you applying to?

Cambridge, Durham, Birmingham and Lancaster... You? I'm now in the stage where I am checking track every hour in the hope that something will have been updated!
Reply 215

Cambridge, Durham, Birmingham and Lancaster... You? I'm now in the stage where I am checking track every hour in the hope that something will have been updated!

Are you applying for the Natural Sciences or Physics and Maths course? I feel like I'm kinda missing out because I'm not applying to oxbridge :s-smilie:
Mine are Manchester, Sheffield and Southampton. I've only got four, dunno where else to apply to..
And I wish I could send my application off since I heard Manchester are sending out offers already but I'm waiting for my teachers to help me finish my personal statement! Frustrating :smile:
Original post by capa
Are you applying for the Natural Sciences or Physics and Maths course? I feel like I'm kinda missing out because I'm not applying to oxbridge :s-smilie:
Mine are Manchester, Sheffield and Southampton. I've only got four, dunno where else to apply to..
And I wish I could send my application off since I heard Manchester are sending out offers already but I'm waiting for my teachers to help me finish my personal statement! Frustrating :smile:

NatSci :smile: Don't worry about it- I know loads o people who aren't applying- you're still applying to good unis! Well I sent my application off 3 weeks ago and I still have nothing!! I hate this wait. :frown: good luck btw :smile:
waiting for my reference to be done which just gives me time to keep changing my mind. instead of eliminating options I've started to consider some scottish ones as well.
Reply 218
if you haven't seen this already this might be useful:

http://www.myphysicscourse.org
Original post by IOP
if you haven't seen this already this might be useful:

http://www.myphysicscourse.org

how up-to-date are the course info?

because I think some of the entry requirements for the courses are wrong :s-smilie:

Quick Reply