The Student Room Group

St. Andrews Medical School Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Well in my year there are 167 of us, and we were told that for each of us, there were 10 people that never got in. Don't know how many offers were made, but something like 400 rings a bell??
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Anterior view
So if they do about 500 interviews and give 400 offers chances of an offer are reasonably high. Surely it must be less:s-smilie:

i think its 600 interviews? then ~350 offers

actually i have no idea, its that for some medical school anyway :tongue:
Original post by atomos
i think its 600 interviews? then ~350 offers

actually i have no idea, its that for some medical school anyway :tongue:

That sounds familiar and much more realistic :smile:
Reply 203
Told you I was just guessing!
Reply 204
Original post by Quackers93
Woo :smile: Same, thats what added to the paranoia of fakeness lol
what time is yours at?may see you there! :smile:

Mine's at 3:40, when's yours?
Original post by Cottrill
Mine's at 3:40, when's yours?

4.05 so may see you around... Not that either of us would know ... :P
Reply 206
2pm ish
Reply 207
Original post by jasqur
I suppose the changes to the fee system will only affect courses that have less job prospects. Are you a current medical student?

yep. 1st year med student :smile:
Reply 208
Original post by teafil
yep. 1st year med student :smile:

I'd love to be in your shoes! How are you finding the course?
:smile:
Reply 209
Original post by jasqur
I'd love to be in your shoes! How are you finding the course?
:smile:

I'd love to be in YOUR shoes right now ... exams coming realllyyyy soon !

The course is great. If you want to become a SMART doctors, then St. Andrews is the perfect place. They offer solid knowledge base. Yet it is very fun and interactive... sometimes unspeakable things happen :wink:)

Remember that the staff is so extremely amazingly friendly!!! When I had my interview I was expecting some dark monsters... I never knew how nice the are until I got here... So if they seem mean, they either do it intentionately to scare you off...ooooor they had a really really really long day. Either way, do not be put off. They expect loads of wrong answers. They just want to see you are not a complete monkey and that you can sustains your point of view. If you don't know something, don't pretend that you do (that's what I did for my dundee interview and it ended up badly... i didn't know what "cubs" means... as in the cards... but I was too emberessed to say "I don't know" so in the end I wasted time and got even more confused) :smile:

Anyway, here the staff is amazing! So just try to talk to them like to a friend. It sounds hard, but once you get here you realize just how silly it was for you to tremble in front of such a lovely, funny professor.

Oh, and if you mess you your interview and leave the uni crying.. it's ok, that's what I did and I got it :biggrin:
Congratulations on the interviews guys :smile:
23rd would be a baaaad day for me, it's my brother's 5th birthday and BMAT results are released haha. So I'm kinda thankful I don't have one then. Kinda.
Reply 211
Original post by teafil

The course is great. If you want to become a SMART doctors, then St. Andrews is the perfect place. They offer solid knowledge base. Yet it is very fun and interactive... sometimes unspeakable things happen :wink:)

Remember that the staff is so extremely amazingly friendly!!! When I had my interview I was expecting some dark monsters... I never knew how nice the are until I got here... So if they seem mean, they either do it intentionately to scare you off...ooooor they had a really really really long day. Either way, do not be put off. They expect loads of wrong answers. They just want to see you are not a complete monkey and that you can sustains your point of view. If you don't know something, don't pretend that you do (that's what I did for my dundee interview and it ended up badly... i didn't know what "cubs" means... as in the cards... but I was too emberessed to say "I don't know" so in the end I wasted time and got even more confused) :smile:

Anyway, here the staff is amazing! So just try to talk to them like to a friend. It sounds hard, but once you get here you realize just how silly it was for you to tremble in front of such a lovely, funny professor.

Oh, and if you mess you your interview and leave the uni crying.. it's ok, that's what I did and I got it :biggrin:

wow sounds amazing! Thank you soo much for all the info :smile: I've heard loads of people at st andrews also comment on the friendlness of the professors, so that might ease my nerves if i get an interview!
Original post by teafil

Wow exams already? When exactly are they? And are they important ones? :smile:
Reply 213
We have a written one on the 14th Nov, and a practical on the 15th Nov. The written one counts for 25% of our module grade, the rest is from the big exams in January. The practical is formative, so a pass or fail..
Reply 214
anyone not had their acknowledgement yet? I've still not heard from st andrew's or dundee
Original post by KCosmo
anyone not had their acknowledgement yet? I've still not heard from st andrew's or dundee

No I haven't, I was wondering about this earlier today. Last year I received it the day after I sent it :s-smilie: and then got the postcard a bit later. I've had nothing so far, but I've got them from elsewhere and it's displayed on track so I'm not concerned :smile:
Original post by platty1907
No I haven't, I was wondering about this earlier today. Last year I received it the day after I sent it :s-smilie: and then got the postcard a bit later. I've had nothing so far, but I've got them from elsewhere and it's displayed on track so I'm not concerned :smile:

No need to be concerned guys. :smile:

Just to let everyone know, I am applying for the newly-formed A990 Programme, which is designed for Canadian applicants - 3 years in St. Andrews, 3 years in Edinburgh, and Residency back in Canada along with University of Alberta (in Canada).

Maybe that's why I got the email much earlier? I sent my application on the 12th and got the email approximately a day after.
Original post by KCosmo

St. Andrews are being weird this year cause some people havn't heard anything, some have had acknowledgements, some have acknowledgement and interview, and then some have no acknowledgement but do have an interview :s-smilie: Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it :s-smilie:

I hope they send out a postcard this year, I absolutely loved that last year1 Such a nice personal touch :smile:
Reply 218
OMG!! :biggrin: Just came home from school to an email inviting me to an interview at St Andrews on the 30th November!! :O

I've replied to the email but there's nothing updated on my track - I thought that it usually updated with the word "interview" under the decisions column?? Am I getting that wrong??
Reply 219
Original post by JFaithx
OMG!! :biggrin: Just came home from school to an email inviting me to an interview at St Andrews on the 30th November!! :O

I've replied to the email but there's nothing updated on my track - I thought that it usually updated with the word "interview" under the decisions column?? Am I getting that wrong??

Ahhhh congratulations :biggrin: i'm so jealous :tongue: well I was unaware that anything gets updated on track for interview. I thought it only updated if you got an offer or rejected. Don't worry about it though, the main thing is you got an interview :biggrin:

Also, just out of curiosity, what was your ukcat :smile:?

Quick Reply

Latest