The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Hi guys!

I know it's probably very early for this thread, but everyone else seems to have one for their subject, so I thought I'd make one for us as well.

I'll go first:

user name: irina793
subject: fine art
A-levels, foundation or equivalent: doing equivalent for A-levels, predicted 9.7 out of 10 in the "Diploma de Bacalaureat" ( cause I'm from Romania :smile: )
applying at: oxford, ucl, edinburgh, glasgow and leeds.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm also Applying for Fine Art

A levels: Economics, Philosophy and Fine Art
AS Levels : Economics, Philosophy, English Lit/Lang, Maths and Fine Art
Applying at: Oxford, UCL, Lancaster and Central St Martins

How did you sent your portfolio in from Romania? By Post?
Reply 2
Hey :smile: I've applied for Fine Art for 2012- Soooo nervous!

Name- Ellie
A levels: Fine Art, Ceramics, English Lit, Maths
AS Levels : Fine Art, Ceramics, English Lit, Maths, Biology, Psychology
Applying at: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Newcastle

How are you guys getting on with the whole process? :smile:
Reply 3
Hi guys, I'll join :smile:

Name: Ruta
doing equivalent of A-levels
going to apply for fashion at edinburgh, glasgow, dundee, gray's school and heriot watt probably
still working on portfolio, planning to apply in the beginning of december
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi just sent my aplication for mostly fine art degrees, so nervous for potential interviews/sending portfolios '-' nah not ready for these kind of things :s-smilie:
A2: art, photography, geog,bio
Applied to:reading(4yearart)Lancaster(fineart)Leeds(art an design)Gloucester(fine art photo) an Plymouth(fine art).
Reply 5
Original post by drowners
Hi just sent my aplication for mostly fine art degrees, so nervous for potential interviews/sending portfolios '-' nah not ready for these kind of things :s-smilie:
A2: art, photography, geog,bio
Applied to:reading(4yearart)Lancaster(fineart)Leeds(art an design)Gloucester(fine art photo) an Plymouth(fine art).

Hey- Just wondering, have you been to look at the facilities at Reading? I went and was really, really unimpressed. Sorry to put a downer on things. Only a warning! :smile:
Reply 6
To everyone else applying to Oxford, Have you delivered your portfolio yet? I'm sooooo nervous and just wondered what happens! :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah, I delivered mine 2 weeks ago. Your a bit late aren't you. The deadline is Noon Friday.
Reply 8
Original post by randombelle
Hey- Just wondering, have you been to look at the facilities at Reading? I went and was really, really unimpressed. Sorry to put a downer on things. Only a warning! :smile:

Yeah facilities do kinda suck, I don't know why I like it so much though. I thought some of the student work was also a bit iffy, but the campus is beautiful, an i just like the feel of the place. gah I dunno :frown: I'm already at a school where art is like an after thought, so a similar uni would be ****ty :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by joelchan
Yeah, I delivered mine 2 weeks ago. Your a bit late aren't you. The deadline is Noon Friday.

Hey- Yeh, I'm leaving it late but I haven't been able to get up to Oxford! What happens when you go? Also, do they check weight? And what sort of thing did you include? :smile:
Reply 10
Basically you ring the doorbell and then this old-ish man walks out and checked that your name is on a list and then takes it off you, and no, they dont check it but they can reused to take it if they pick it up and think its too heavy. Mine was only 9kg and he thought it was too heavy at first. And I just put in drawings, sketches, paintings and photos of Sculptures. I wouldnt have it over 10kg.
Is anyone else currently doing an art foundation?

I'm applying for Fine Art at Brighton (Fine Art: Painting), UCL, Goldsmiths, Nottingham Trent and Leeds College of Art. I want to go to either Brighton, UCL or Goldsmiths, though.

Applying at: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh, Lancaster, Newcastle

Applying at: Oxford, UCL, Lancaster and Central St Martins

Are you applying for the BFA or the BA at UCL?
[QUOTE=

BA :smile: you?
Reply 13
Original post by Village Whisper
Is anyone else currently doing an art foundation?

I'm applying for Fine Art at Brighton (Fine Art: Painting), UCL, Goldsmiths, Nottingham Trent and Leeds College of Art. I want to go to either Brighton, UCL or Goldsmiths, though.

BFA
BA :smile: you?

BFA

Ah, I'm still not sure. I'm thinking probably the BFA because it's only 3 years, and to be honest I don't really want to do a 4 year course after already having taken a year to do a foundation...I'll be old by the time I've finished uni!

But then I do like the idea of the extra course you take in the BA...I suppose that's not a great reason to choose that, though. Randombelle, why did you choose it?
Reply 15
The 'extra course' is a really small part of the degree because i asked and got this reply... "Students take one subject from another department, normally in the second year. The course is weighted at one 1/2 course unit. Such courses generally last for one term only and require a commitment of 1/2 a day per week plus independent study time in that term, so it is a very small part of the overall course. Students must take and pass the course to complete the BA degree." But it does show that your knowledge is more well rounded i suppose and might be better if your not necessarily looking for an art focused career afterward. it would be good for example if you like teaching or design.
The 'extra course' is a really small part of the degree because i asked and got this reply... "Students take one subject from another department, normally in the second year. The course is weighted at one 1/2 course unit. Such courses generally last for one term only and require a commitment of 1/2 a day per week plus independent study time in that term, so it is a very small part of the overall course. Students must take and pass the course to complete the BA degree." But it does show that your knowledge is more well rounded i suppose and might be better if your not necessarily looking for an art focused career afterward. it would be good for example if you like teaching or design.

Oh, I'm glad you asked them! I thought it'd be a bit more than that. I know what you mean about being more well-rounded, but maybe it's a bit pointless for me since I'm more interested in trying to be an artist afterwards. I know I'll have to do other stuff because it's highly unlikely I'll be that lucky, but still...If I did do the BA, I'd want to do a language if that's one of the options, 'cause I'm missing French since leaving sixth form. I don't think that that's really worth another £9000 + living costs, though...
Reply 17
Original post by Village Whisper
Oh, I'm glad you asked them! I thought it'd be a bit more than that. I know what you mean about being more well-rounded, but maybe it's a bit pointless for me since I'm more interested in trying to be an artist afterwards. I know I'll have to do other stuff because it's highly unlikely I'll be that lucky, but still...If I did do the BA, I'd want to do a language if that's one of the options, 'cause I'm missing French since leaving sixth form. I don't think that that's really worth another £9000 + living costs, though...

Its all loans anyway that we only pay back like £3 a week until we earn a lot, and the self employed can work around it anyway. But I'll let you find out how yourself. If you want to do french then i'd suggest do the BA anyway.
Reply 18
More applicants to pretty much the same places :smile: It's nice to see some people who are also applying
I am Nibras, applying for fine art at Oxford, UCL, Glasgow, Edinburgh and UAL.

How are you guys who've applied to Oxford feeling? I am dying from the wait because I know they're looking at our portfolios during this week. Best of luck to everyone
Original post by lilnibras
More applicants to pretty much the same places :smile: It's nice to see some people who are also applying
I am Nibras, applying for fine art at Oxford, UCL, Glasgow, Edinburgh and UAL.

How are you guys who've applied to Oxford feeling? I am dying from the wait because I know they're looking at our portfolios during this week. Best of luck to everyone

Apparently they looked at them on Monday! I just want to know! Do you know when we find out about interviews? -I worked out that if they tell us 2 weeks before then they have to tell us by next Monday! Surely they can't leave it longer than that! Which college did you apply to? Good Luck! :smile:

Quick Reply