The Student Room Group

GCSEs are an utter joke

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sabster
Additional maths is one of those exams that, the freaks who think that they are clever because they can work hard and get grades, are shown up.

No i did them years ago.

Pretty poor sentence. You sure you did a GCSE in English Language? :rolleyes:

Anyway, what did you get, may I ask? :holmes:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
English Language.

:holmes:

Take that back, TAKE THAT BACK.
Original post by Aldridge
Does anybody else agree GCSE's are a complete pisstake?

They are far too easy, you can practically turn up on the day and get an A* using common sense.

IMO they definitely need to make them far, far more difficult, to separate people with intelligence from people with common sense.

Common sense pretty much = intelligence nowadays to be honest. Way too many people lack common sense..
Reply 23
some people may find GCSE's easy and thats great for them, they're the lucky ones! I got 11 and a half A-C grades, didn't actually do good at all tbh but I am proud of what I got because not so long ago I was told I'd never properly learn to read or write so saying my grade C in English is easily achievable and an utter joke is a little bit offensive - each to their own and all but for some people who may have had situations similarly to mine achieving some GCSE's is actually a major milestone. Luckily some people are naturally clever but it doesn't mean they have to belittle other people's qualifications they've worked hard for.
Original post by Sabster

FFS i took a GCSE in Italian with no knowledge of italian and got an A*.

No you didn't
Original post by Sabster
Finally someone who thinks like me....

Yes I agree, they are a complete piss take, most of them you can just turn up with no revision whatsoever A* (like Maths, French, Biology, Geography etc). And it just makes a complete mockery of the system.

They need to be made sooo much harder.

FFS i took a GCSE in Italian with no knowledge of italian and got an A*

It is a complete piss take and makes all grades worthless.

What? How did you get an A* in GCSE Italian with **** all knowledge? :lolwut:
Original post by Aeschylus
No you didn't

Yes I did, admittedly i did know spanish to a high level but even then..
Original post by erniiee
Pretty poor sentence. You sure you did a GCSE in English Language? :rolleyes:

Anyway, what did you get, may I ask? :holmes:

13 A*
Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
No-one can turn up on the day and get an A*

That's stupid. I'd get an E if I did that. However with a little work you can get an A*.

Actually if you google a random RS paper, it's pretty much a written form of TSR debate forums except it requires less knowledge.
Reply 29
The whole education system in this country is a trainwreck. The dry rot is too deeply ingrained as well :flute:
Reply 30
At the time they seem pretty hard but when you get past A levels and on to uni you realise that they were actually pretty easy for the AVERAGE student.
Original post by Id and Ego seek
Take that back, TAKE THAT BACK.

No.

I'm not saying it's the easiest per se (though it was for me), just that it's one that it's entirely possible to get an A* in just turning up on the day. I did. There's no specific content you need to learn for it, you just have to be able to write.

Original post by im so academic

I got a B in german having learned no vocabulary past the letter E. :u:

I know it's a B, but still...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by im so academic

It is very similar to Spanish + Latin
Reply 33
Original post by Sabster
13 A*

Wow. And what did you study for A Level?
I got a B in Spanish and I worked really hard... Languages never really clicked for me
Original post by erniiee
Wow. And what did you study for A Level?

Maths, Further Maths, Spanish, French, Greek, Latin
Original post by Sabster

Original post by Sabster

I presume you're going to Oxbridge with those sort of A-levels? :lolwut:
Reply 37
Original post by Sabster
Additional maths is one of those exams that, the freaks who think that they are clever because they can work hard and get grades, are shown up.

No i did them years ago.

What year / university are you in now? Or did you do them a few years early?

GCSEs were a pisstake, but I do find that your arrogance is quite funny. That's why I had to ask whether you took your GCSES early and, as a prepubescent, erm, prick, decided to begin a revolution of 'OMFG GCSEs need reform!' on TSR. I can't begin to imagine you working within a team of any sort, as a doctor, or as anybody who works with people or with an element of care in the future despite what sounds like reasonable GCSEs.
Reply 38
Original post by Sabster

And what were your grades?
I tried a good deal harder than most of my mates and only scraped 5 Cs.

I guess that makes me a total idiot with no common sense?

Quick Reply

Latest