The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hanvyj
Do you have to disclose depression to employers?

My wife recently applied to a care job and they liked her CV etc, invited her to look arround and made her fill in some forms. She was worried because they had a "medical" section asking about what medication you took and whether you suffered from any disabilities. Anyway, they never contacted her. We thought it was strange that they would invite someone arround for a visit but not an interview, given that the only new info they had was about her disability...

Anyway she was really upset with it, my question is - is it legal for an employer to require details like that? She doesn't like telling anyone, took her years to tell her parents - and they treated her differently when she did...

I have the same problem so I'm looking forward to the responses you receive.

I have an interview next Saturday for a role working with 17/18 year olds over the summer and they know nothing about my medications or diagnosis. I have a CRB check if I'm successful but honestly don't know what's going to happen regarding everything :frown:
Original post by Nut.
Does that mean I could still go, or I can't?

(Sorry, my brain's being fuzzy today.)

I think it's fuzzy. It seems to depend on the reason behind your hospitalization. If it was to stop harm to yourself or others then no I don't think you can enter the US legally. It does say "currently" or "likely to recur" so if at some point in the future you wanted to enter and it was neither current nor likely to recur then you could.

.....I think.
Original post by kka25
Saber!!

My parcel from the States has arrived =>

Fantastic...no import tax I take it? Lucky you! :tongue:
Original post by Hanvyj

My wife recently applied to a care job and they liked her CV etc, invited her to look arround and made her fill in some forms. She was worried because they had a "medical" section asking about what medication you took and whether you suffered from any disabilities. Anyway, they never contacted her. We thought it was strange that they would invite someone arround for a visit but not an interview, given that the only new info they had was about her disability...

Anyway she was really upset with it, my question is - is it legal for an employer to require details like that? She doesn't like telling anyone, took her years to tell her parents - and they treated her differently when she did...

As far as my understanding goes, you don't have to disclose it but if you don't and later need adjustments because of it you don't have a leg to stand on. So yes I think it is legal for the employer to ask.
Blah. I still feel crap, but chose not to see the Dr, as I would probably just get the "What do you want me to do about it" response, and I just don't want to deal with that.
Reply 25
Original post by Sabertooth
Fantastic...no import tax I take it? Lucky you! :tongue:

I would think so :smile:

But I'm feeling a bit down today :sad:

Hugs :hugs:
Reply 26
Original post by Hanvyj

I'm sorry to hear this :frown:

:console:

This is what I'm afraid of. Being treated differently :s-smilie:

How did they treat her differently if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by kka25
I would think so :smile:

But I'm feeling a bit down today :sad:

Hugs :hugs:

:hugs: anything in particular?
Original post by Nut.
Does anybody on here know much about how being hospitalised (either voluntarily or involuntarily) can affect things like getting visa's in the future?

When I went to Russia with my school the form I had to fill in asked questions about whether or not I'd been hospitalised, whether I had a 'serious mental illness' or was on any medications.
At the time I had a diagnosis of depression and I'd never been hospitalised, and wasn't on meds, but tbh it's looking more and more likely that I will be hospitalised at some point, and my diagnosis is now bipolar (or at least, I think it is, I'm not sure what this new mental health team thinks about that, but that's another story), which pretty much needs lifelong meds.

If I do somehow get through all of this I would like to travel in the future. It'd be a bummer if I'd never be able to go to Russia or Australia again, or to the USA or Canada or whatever.

Anybody know?

I imagine you might know something ^ ? :colondollar:

If in doubt, lie! :wizard: I don't see any advantage of telling them about being ill/in hospital, and I definitely wouldn't put it past a country like Russia to discriminate against the mentally ill (although the thing they seem to care about most is if you've got HIV). It's unlikely they'd realise you were lying, unless if they were really strict and did background checks (which I imagine is more for when you're applying to emigrate there), so I expect you could get away with it. I hope so at least, cos that's what I'm planning to do. :erm:

Original post by Nut.
Well, I've got all my marks back from my first 3 modules (apart from the 3 essays that I have yet to submit) and I'm sitting pretty on 69%.

Now why can't the rest of my life and my mental health just fall into place like the academic stuff always ****ing does.

Nicely done. :five:
Reply 29
Original post by Sabertooth
:hugs: anything in particular?

I don't know. I just don't know =/

I'm feeling so tired today. Oddly, I did't do anything today but I feel tired and sad =(

When I saw the parcel, there was a slight joy with me. Finally, after weeks of waiting, it arrived. I should be happy the device is working properly and all. But, the joy went away almost immediately after that. =S

Now it's charging next to my laptop, while I'm feeling gloom and despair :sad:

I'm crying as I'm typing this. I feel so unhappy at the moment. I have no idea what's going on. I'm just feeling so utterly sad.

:cry:
Reply 30
Original post by superwolf
If in doubt, lie! :wizard: I don't see any advantage of telling them about being ill/in hospital, and I definitely wouldn't put it past a country like Russia to discriminate against the mentally ill (although the thing they seem to care about most is if you've got HIV). It's unlikely they'd realise you were lying, unless if they were really strict and did background checks (which I imagine is more for when you're applying to emigrate there), so I expect you could get away with it. I hope so at least, cos that's what I'm planning to do. :erm:

Nicely done. :five:

That's a very good point. Thanks, I was getting worried there :hugs:
Need to submit the extenuating circumstances but everything is everywhere and I'm supposed to attach evidence but it's going straight to my convenor and it's all just ugh. Somebody do it for meeeeeeeeeeee.
Original post by kka25
I don't know. I just don't know =/

I'm feeling so tired today. Oddly, I did't do anything today but I feel tired and sad =(

When I saw the parcel, there was a slight joy with me. Finally, after weeks of waiting, it arrived. I should be happy the device is working properly and all. But, the joy went away almost immediately after that. =S

Now it's charging next to my laptop, while I'm feeling gloom and despair :sad:

I'm crying as I'm typing this. I feel so unhappy at the moment. I have no idea what's going on. I'm just feeling so utterly sad.

:cry:

:console: Have a bunny in a cup.
Reply 33
Oh man, diazepam is a medication of the Gods.

I just went outside in the daylight for the first time in months without feeling anxious.

Aaaand I have Bio-oil :awesome:.
Reply 34
welp, finally managed to muster the courage to talk to someone about my feelings. it helped a bit, at least my housemates know about me now. would be nice if i could eventalk to a girl though :/
I'm anon #2 again! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Exam today went okay actually. Zoned out a few times but apart from that it went quite well. Not going to say I did really well because the last time I thought that I failed miserably.
Reply 36
Thanks. I have never felt more awkward in my life though :redface:
Reply 37
unlikely ill have the courage again anytime soon. i have one burst a year, i just used mine up early.
Reply 38
Original post by superwolf

:h:

Thank you :smile:

:jumphug:
Original post by Anonymous
Absolute bitch that sometimes the only thing that keeps you going through a day is "Oh I'll get smashed" or "Oh I'll get high" at the end of the day. But if it works it works, gotta thank the stuff :! :P

eh, **** else is there?

I like being drunk, bout the only thing I like anymore.

tonight I wanna get so drunk I don't even know who I am anymore.

Latest