The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

UEA Housing Search Question

I'm going to be moving to Norwich in September to study a postgrad. I plan on travelling down and staying in the area for a weekend in order to find a place to live for the year.

Because of various obligations I can either do this around about now, or I could go down sometime in July / August.

My question is: would I struggle to find a house / flat / houseshare if I waited until August? Are most of them taken by that time? Would many be available now, or would it be pointless to travel down this early?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Also, I quite like the setup of student halls, but am told postgrads can't get in to UEA halls. Does anyone know of any privately run student flats around Norwich? Or of any sneaky way I could get a place in halls?
Most people find their housing by April or so - most of the student housing will be taken before term ends in June.

I think choice would be just as limited in July as it would be in September.

A lot of second/third years turn up early in January to look for housing.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by Klayton
I'm going to be moving to Norwich in September to study a postgrad. I plan on travelling down and staying in the area for a weekend in order to find a place to live for the year.

Because of various obligations I can either do this around about now, or I could go down sometime in July / August.

My question is: would I struggle to find a house / flat / houseshare if I waited until August? Are most of them taken by that time? Would many be available now, or would it be pointless to travel down this early?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Also, I quite like the setup of student halls, but am told postgrads can't get in to UEA halls. Does anyone know of any privately run student flats around Norwich? Or of any sneaky way I could get a place in halls?

Don't worry, you will have no problems in finding anywhere to live. There is always empty rooms in the private sector in Norwich. Of course, some houses will be gone but there are hundreds in the city for rent.

All you need to do is contact the Student Union Advice Centre here on campus when you are ready to start looking for a place and they will be able to help you. If it is during the summer we even employ extra staff in there to help people in your situation.

There is nothing to worry about.

Just so you know you can get a room in halls if you are a Postgraduate but you need to be from outside of the EU.
Reply 3
Original post by Fran Katzenjammer
Most people find their housing by April or so - most of the student housing will be taken before term ends in June.

I think choice would be just as limited in July as it would be in September.

A lot of second/third years turn up early in January to look for housing.

Thanks. I've been leaning towards going down sooner rather than later, so will probably head down sometime in March. Be good to know that it's sorted early on.
Reply 4
Original post by UEAAccommodation
Don't worry, you will have no problems in finding anywhere to live. There is always empty rooms in the private sector in Norwich. Of course, some houses will be gone but there are hundreds in the city for rent.

All you need to do is contact the Student Union Advice Centre here on campus when you are ready to start looking for a place and they will be able to help you. If it is during the summer we even employ extra staff in there to help people in your situation.

There is nothing to worry about.

Just so you know you can get a room in halls if you are a Postgraduate but you need to be from outside of the EU.

Thanks for the reply. I had a look at the Student Union website and applied for access to the Homerun Housing search, which should be really helpful with finding a place. It's good to know that it won't be impossible to find a house, even if I wait until Summer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending