The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Oldie Music Society?

Hello everyone!

I'm seriously starting to consider of starting an Oldie Society in the Univeristy of York. I loooove 1950s-70s music very very much, but unfortunately I don't know too many people who like it. (At least like it as much that they'd want to join me for a completely oldie-based night-out.) I'm a first year student and not yet very familiar with all the clubs/bars/pubs in York, but I guess there must be some places that focus on this kind of music?

The society would be for all those people who prefer the nostalgic sound of the gone decades to that of the modern monotony (in my opinion: no offense). Also people who like to play/sing that kind of music would be very welcome!

If anyone wonders what exactly do I mean by oldie music, the concept here includes eg. the old rock and roll, psychedelic hippie music, the cheesy hits of the 70s - basically anything that's simply a BETTER alternative to 21th century's chart music! :wink:

So, I'd really like to know, is there people here who would be interested? Maybe start the soc with me? As I said, I don't know oldie-lovers at the mo, so I would have to start it by myself, and a couple of co-founders would be AWESOME!! :smile:
That sounds like an awesome idea! I'd love to help, but i'm transferring (attempting to...!) to another uni at the end of this year, however, if theres anything that I can do to help during the remainder of this year I'd be glad to! :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
I would be really intersted in this, I'll be attending York Uni in October. I was brought up on Jimmi Hendrix, so I'm into Old Skool Rock, also its a good way to meet people, just PM me:smile:

Thanks
Raradir
Hello, me again, much much later! If there still is a plan to start this society up, i'd really like to be envolved... Essentially transfer fell through so i'll be finishing my degree at York after all... Anywho, message me if its still going ahead and i'll try and be of as much help as possible, I'm a second year at the mo, but afraid I don't know much about setting up socs etc, but willing to learn, lend a hand and meet new friends if this is still going ahead... :undefined:yy[\s]

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e
Fabby idea :-D
Would there possibly be room for doing things like....sitting round in the dark around a record player, listening and adoring and ruminating...I never usually just sit and listen. We might notice new things! if our other dominative senses are not engaged etc.

Any Bowie worshippers around?
Original post by chinaberry
Fabby idea :-D
Would there possibly be room for doing things like....sitting round in the dark around a record player, listening and adoring and ruminating...I never usually just sit and listen. We might notice new things! if our other dominative senses are not engaged etc.

Any Bowie worshippers around?

I like that idea! :biggrin: sounds relaxing... Also, I do have quite a bit of love for Mr.Bowie...

If you are really intetested in the York Oldie Music Society, PM me... We've already started on setting up the soc, got a fb page...

Let me know if you want in! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC Wildfire S A510e

Quick Reply

Latest