The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

University of Nottingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by judhika
ooo! Another question, is it really useful being close to your building??? Nottingham Students keep bringing this up.. is it quite important then?

In some ways; yes. University park is quite hilly so if you walk everywhere you'll soon get bulging calves. I'm not sure about other hall sites(other than UP and BGP that is) though as I've never been to them. Maybe someone else can answer for them.

I know people in Hugh Stu who are pretty much 2 minutes from their lectures which is great for rolling out of bed at the last minute.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by judhika
Yeah that is true i share with family.. i dno.. I just suppose its cos i wouldnt know the people before hand.. which sounds really fussy now i think about it.. do people maintain the bathrooms quite well and stuff? I'm not like a hygiene freak.. just dont want it to be some horror lol

So is it generally cheaper to go catered do you reckon with food prices increasing and stuff?

And which would you say is the best catered halls on campus?

Trust me, you'll be fine. It might be a little scary at first but you'll soon settle in and get to know the people. If you reeeally don't like who you're sharing with then you can always request a move. It's good enough for me but I'm a guy so that may not be saying much(saying that, it's not horrible). Cleaners come round fairly often but I only notice if they're in my room so couldnt tell you when they're in the bathroom.

I'm finding it hard to believe as I'm saying this but generally, I think I'd say yes.

If you look on the first page I commented on most of the halls. I wanted to be in Lincoln personally but I stayed there a couple of days and like the bar, so that could just be me. General rule is older halls = better. You need to know that not all parts of a 'hall' will be of the exact same age as at later dates extra buildings are added. Hugh Stu has newer blocks compared to some of the others it has afaik. I like them, even though some might not. Ancaster also has a newer block too.

Edit: It might be worth looking into SPC, Raleigh Park and Albion House though. I just wouldnt go with BGP over UP. They(SPC, RP and AH) seem cheaper than BGP but they are further away.
(edited 12 years ago)
I stayed at derby hall for a conference, it was so so lovely. It wasn't an ensuite but still quite nice, and my room was bigger than my room at home, and had a like door that opened to a sink compartment thing and mirror, so it wasn't like I had to keep going out. There was a huge desk and wardrobe and shelves and a fridge. Also for the shared showers there's a little dry bit outside to get dressed and keep your clothes, which I thought was nice, does anyone know if it's like that everywhere?

But yeah I really loved derby haha :biggrin:
Reply 23
quick question, does Rutland have large single studies? someone said they didn't, just out of interest :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone with photographs of your Nottingham accommodation? :smile:
Reply 25
Original post by judhika
Hi :smile:
I'm hoping to place Nottingham as my firm... which Halls would any Nottingham students recommend in the Self-Catered ones?
I heard St.Peter's is good and a decent price

Alsoooo! Which is better between catered and self-catered??.. i mean i wana make the most of what im paying for but i also like the idea of cooking my own food

Hey I currently live in SPC if you want to know anything :smile:
Reply 26
Hey guys,

What would you say about UP Opal 1? Fromm the UP website it seems very modern and comfortable.
The large studio beats every other room available on and off campus, but its like a 40 minute walk to the engineering department.

It is only a couple of minutes away from jubilee campus where you can take the hopper to the unis main campus.

Tell me what you think
Reply 27
Hi, what about opal 1? What are your views on that?
Reply 28
Original post by aa_6
Hi, what about opal 1? What are your views on that?

Did you apply for a room there? It looks very nice and a friend of mine went there and told me that its much much better than broadgate park (same price btw). My only concern is the distance from the university
Reply 29
Original post by AT1719
Did you apply for a room there? It looks very nice and a friend of mine went there and told me that its much much better than broadgate park (same price btw). My only concern is the distance from the university

Isn't it the closest to the university?
Don't apply for opal1. I believe people who live their are quite isolated from other students. I don't know anyone who lives there, even in passing.
Reply 31
Original post by natty_d

I have many many questions for you!

Firstly, what are the en-suites like? I'm mainly interested in the quality of them but also the size etc.

Secondly, do you notice it much that it has less students than places like Broadgate and Raleigh?

Finally (for now), do you know much about the parking there? I take it you'd have to pay for it? If so, how much is it?

Right now the three I'm considering are St. Peter's, Broadgate and Raleigh and I'm thinking of it in that order and I'm trying to weigh up which is better, the size and proximity of Broadgate or the cheaper en-suite option of St. Peter's with a nearby Aldi...or the compromise between the two that is Raleigh Park.
Reply 32
Oh and I was at Nottingham 2 years back and took pics of the room I was staying in. Would this be considered a large or single room because I'd love to have a similar size but preferably with a larger desk? This was in Nightingale btw.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jin3011
Oh and I was at Nottingham 2 years back and took pics of the room I was staying in. Would this be considered a large or single room because I'd love to have a similar size but preferably with a larger desk? This was in Nightingale btw.
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Large single study. You can tell by the double bed.
Reply 34
Original post by alexs2602
Large single study. You can tell by the double bed.

Reply 35
Original post by natty_d

Oh thank you :smile: yeah my friend stays there too, and seems to love it!

i wanted to ask how much you spend on shopping a week would you say? and the ups and downs of SPC? I'm pretty sure i know im gna stay there cos it sounds like just what i want :smile:

ooo how many people are in one flat btw?
Reply 36
hey does anyone know when the accommodation application thingy goes live? :smile: like at what time?

and also do you pay accommodation fees each semester or all at once at like the start of the year or something? :smile: if anyone knows pleaseeeee let me know! :biggrin: thanks in advance
Original post by ggurl3
hey does anyone know when the accommodation application thingy goes live? :smile: like at what time?

and also do you pay accommodation fees each semester or all at once at like the start of the year or something? :smile: if anyone knows pleaseeeee let me know! :biggrin: thanks in advance

I know you can start applying on the 1st of March, if you've already firmed Nottingham. Don't know about the other stuff though. Sorry. :/
Reply 38
Original post by oliviagunapalan
I know you can start applying on the 1st of March, if you've already firmed Nottingham. Don't know about the other stuff though. Sorry. :/

Fees for halls are paid by the term. If you are dependent on loans, let the accom people know and they will set payments dates to suit.
Reply 39
Original post by scbond
I have many many questions for you!

Firstly, what are the en-suites like? I'm mainly interested in the quality of them but also the size etc.

Secondly, do you notice it much that it has less students than places like Broadgate and Raleigh?

Finally (for now), do you know much about the parking there? I take it you'd have to pay for it? If so, how much is it?

Right now the three I'm considering are St. Peter's, Broadgate and Raleigh and I'm thinking of it in that order and I'm trying to weigh up which is better, the size and proximity of Broadgate or the cheaper en-suite option of St. Peter's with a nearby Aldi...or the compromise between the two that is Raleigh Park.

Hello sorry for the delay in my response, I wanted to give you a thorough one and I haven't been able to sit properly for a bit.

SPC has two main parts - new block and old block. I am in new block however everyone in old block is a fresher. New block has more of a mixture of people -
like postgrads etc. Ensuites in old block will be older but the rooms are bigger. There isn't too much difference in room size however and new block does have the advantage that it's newer! I would take a photo of my ensuite but my camera isn't working atm! But there is a proper shower cubicle with a door, a toilet and sink and space to put your stuff. I would say that SPC ensuites are definitely better than my friend's ensuite on Jubilee.

Nope - not really. In fact it's much better that there are less people, you get to know people a lot better that way. If you want LOADS AND LOADS of people to talk to - there are lots at uni so it doesn't matter so much anyway. Plus we are right next to Opal and Raleigh Park so there are always students around. In fact I have friends in Opal who come over to us and we watch football/play pool etc.

I'm not sure about parking - you do have to pay and I have some friends from London who have brought their cars up with them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending