The Student Room Group

Scicence GCSE! HELP!

Hey,

I have a science GCSE on January 12th, and I dont know how to revise!
I would like to do some before I go back to school. I'm in top set science, but I struggle with chemistry a lot and I honestly dont have a clue how to revise as when I had my maths exam (which I got an A for) I just attended all the revision lessons to revise since doing revision at home stresses me out if i dont get it since there's nobody there to explain it to me.

However, my school isn't running science revision classes (for whatever reason) so I know I have to revise at home, but i just dont have a clue how.. and how do I know what's on the exam since we have to sit 2 papers to get our overall grade and apparently we are not allowed to re-sit this exam. So, I am really scared .. My exam board is AQA.

If any of you have any ideas on where I can get revision sheets or anything, that'd be great, and any tips on how to revise would be awesome too!

Thank you! x
Reply 1
Original post by Hellokitty112
Hey,

I would like to do some before I go back to school. I'm in top set science, but I struggle with chemistry a lot and I honestly dont have a clue how to revise as when I had my maths exam (which I got an A for) I just attended all the revision lessons to revise since doing revision at home stresses me out if i dont get it since there's nobody there to explain it to me.

However, my school isn't running science revision classes (for whatever reason) so I know I have to revise at home, but i just dont have a clue how.. and how do I know what's on the exam since we have to sit 2 papers to get our overall grade and apparently we are not allowed to re-sit this exam. So, I am really scared .. My exam board is AQA.

If any of you have any ideas on where I can get revision sheets or anything, that'd be great, and any tips on how to revise would be awesome too!

Thank you! x

You should be able to get hold of the last ~4 years (I think) of past papers for that unit from the AQA website. They can be helpful in structuring your revision. Ideally you should revise everything/what you think you need to, and then do the papers and see. I used to just jump in and do papers though, and go looking up answers as I went through - I remembered it after that because I got it wrong/didn't know it.

Make sure you check with the official mark schemes, even if you 100% know the answer, exam technique is often half about phrasing it correctly and they can be quite picky with that.

Edit: Maybe try find a friend who is better at Chemistry? Pal up with them, or someone that isn't necessarily better but has a revision plan.
Make que cards with colour, I have my GCSE scienece exams too on that day. Really hard revising physics 2 (AQA).
Oh, try some past papers and see what you need to work on
Theres a grade converter on AQA as well
Reply 3
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/

That is what I used for my science GCSEs and I had a B in core, and a A in additional!
Hey,

doing revision at home stresses me out if i dont get it since there's nobody there to explain it to me.

When revising at home, if you don't get something, just ask on tsr (like you are doing now).
Reply 5
Hey,

Thank you! x

Revision guides help a lot. Use them cos they're really quite concise and cut out a lot of the irrelevant stuff in the textbooks. Just try to write notes from reading the revision guides, and make sure you understand what you're writing; that's how I revised. However, it is true that people will find one method of revision more effective than others, whilst others won't, so just try and find what suits you.Oh, and don't forget past papers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Past papers, either attempt them without any notes and see how you do or look answers up as you go through...and if you get stuck just post questions on here :smile:

Also, sitting down with the spec and using each bullet point like a question is good (e.g. one of my AS physics ones is 'be able to use and defy the terms.....' - so just ask yourself what is it? what is it for? etc), well it tends to work alright for me anyway since it gives me specific places I don't know very well that I need to focus on :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you for all your help! I did the test and, like always, i don't think I did fantastic, but I find out in a few weeks so I'll let you all know how I did as and when I find out! Fingers crossed I did okay! :smile:
Reply 8
good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Hey, well I got my results the other week and I got a B.. Not as good as I'd hoped, but better than I thought I did! Thanks for all your help! :smile: xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest