The Student Room Group

Blood in stools ? help serious or not?

Im so embarssed, too embarssed to tell my friends or mum or go to the doctor. I sometimes have a bit of blood when I go to the toilet nothing major at all but today when I went too the toilet there must of been a bowelful of bloody, I also contiuned bleeding from behind for about 30 minutes and would say I easily has half a sinkful of blood. What could this be?
im 19 year old female if thats is any relevence
I'm a 19 year old male and I had this recently too- I stupidly decided to eat a few apples completely whole a day before, and I reckon that the seeds ruptured my rectum and caused the bleeding
Reply 2
It could be a number of things. From hemorrhoids to intestine problems. The safest way to know is to go to the doctor. If the blood was that much go as soon as possible.
Have you been allowing other people to insert things into your anus?

If you aren't, you should be- men really enjoy that
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Im so embarssed, too embarssed to tell my friends or mum or go to the doctor. I sometimes have a bit of blood when I go to the toilet nothing major at all but today when I went too the toilet there must of been a bowelful of bloody, I also contiuned bleeding from behind for about 30 minutes and would say I easily has half a sinkful of blood. What could this be?
im 19 year old female if thats is any relevence

That classically sounds like hemorrhoids, and if the blood is bright red then it sounds even more like that might be the case. It can look like you're losing alot of blood when its mixed with the water in the toilet. If you're 19 then its extremely unlikely to be a cancer or anything like that. Inflammatory bowel disease (thinking particulaly of UC) can present in younger patients, usually accompanied with abdominal pain.

Go to your GP to get some peace of mind, and a proper diagnosis- there is no use in spending hours worrying about it, nor posting on here to potentially get some first year medical student screaming out bowel cancer as soon as they here 'rectal bleeding'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Heyy - anon because this is a bit of a sensitive issue.

I'm a 19 year old female with the same symptoms but with abdomen pain as well - I just got back from seeing the doctor about this very issue! I don't have piles or any anal fissures so they're doing blood tests to see what the cause is. Just go to a doctor, honestly they've seen it all before. I had a young male doctor and he was totally unfazed, made me feel completely comfortable :smile:
As has been mentioned by everyone: go to the doctor, better safe than sorry (yes I know it is a massive Cliché)
go to the doctor!!!!! seriously!!! why wouldn't you?!!?
Reply 8
Original post by MartinKellyisagod
Have you been allowing other people to insert things into your anus?

If you aren't, you should be- men really enjoy that

There are some issues which you don't joke about, this is one.
Reply 9
"Half a sinkful of blood"? that is serious, please OP see a Dr.
Reply 10
Doctors ASAP.

It could be anything. Could be that you have some food intolerance that's causing it, and if you keep eating the foods without knowing it, you could be causing yourself some very serious problems indeed. Or it could be something else. How will you know unless you get it checked.

I do doubt it was half a sinkfull of blood though, you'd be feeling that. Blood in water seems a lot, lot more than the amount it actually is.
Reply 11
Original post by Bellissima
go to the doctor!!!!! seriously!!! why wouldn't you?!!?

Read the first five words of the OP.

But OP this sounds like a very serious issue, go see a doctor ASAP.
Original post by Besakt
Read the first five words of the OP.

But OP this sounds like a very serious issue, go see a doctor ASAP.

i did read the OP i don't understand how that can stop you when this is obviously very serious!!! a half sink of blood!!!
Half a sinkful of blood and I'd be a dizzy bunny.

We can't diagnose you here and I'm no where qualified to even begin trying, but the general consensus would be to see your doc. You might as well get peace of mind and you don't need to tell your family either.
:doctor:

Dear OP, please go to the doctor for a checkup.. I understand you might feel embarrassed or whatnot, and I'm quite sure the doctor will be emphatic about it as well, so don't worry, k? Your well-being is the most important thing here, and only a professional examination can tell you the answers you're looking for. Good luck! :console:
Reply 15
This is an everyday thing. I've only been on clinical placement as a med student a few months and I've seen loads of this sort of thing. As someone mentioned it could be a form of inflammatory bowel disease or just simple hemorrhoids, both of which are common conditions and can be treated.

You GP will be able to deal with you concerns much better than anyone on here.
i had the same problem, but here are some tips,just visit this

hemorrhoidscured.info it helped me a lot :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest