The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 760
Original post by HaHaLOL
I don't know the shi'a view...

why would you want to know? unless you are shi'a?

I am

edit: LOL why was I negged? if you have something to say, then say it
negging me won't change my beliefs or depress me :P
keep going
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 761
Original post by y-y
I am

Salam,

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with it, none of the Sayids or Shiekhs have stopped people from doing it, or mentioned that you are not permitted to wipe your hands on your face after Dua, although I haven't seen Ayatallah Al-Sistani do it, people praying behind him have done it.
Reply 762
Original post by maljebo
Salam,

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing wrong with it, none of the Sayids or Shiekhs have stopped people from doing it, or mentioned that you are not permitted to wipe your hands on your face after Dua, although I haven't seen Ayatallah Al-Sistani do it, people praying behind him have done it.

wa alaykum al salam,
thanks very much for your response
appreciate it :smile:
Reply 763
Is temporary marriage allowed?
Reply 764
Original post by amerzeb
Is temporary marriage allowed?

Not for sunnis
Reply 765
Original post by Tpos
Not for sunnis

And where do Shia get their evidence from?
Reply 766
Original post by amerzeb
And where do Shia get their evidence from?

This helps to explain it

http://www.al-islam.org/al-serat/muta/
Original post by Tpos
Not for sunnis
sunnis consider that mutah (temporary marriage) was first allowed , then made unlawful by Muhammad

Sahih (authentic) Bukhari

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 52:

Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah and Salama bin Al-Akwa':

While we were in an army, Allah's Apostle came to us and said, "You have been allowed to do the Mut'a (marriage), so do it." Salama bin Al-Akwa' said: Allah's Apostle's said, "If a man and a woman agree (to marry temporarily), their marriage should last for three nights, and if they like to continue, they can do so; and if they want to separate, they can do so." I do not know whether that was only for us or for all the people in general. Abu Abdullah (Al-Bukhari) said: 'Ali made it clear that the Prophet said, "The Mut'a marriage has been cancelled (made unlawful)."

Shias disagree. They think it is still allowed
(edited 12 years ago)
What is the modern day islamic view on women belly dancing, given it has arabic origins as much of islam does, and has been practiced throughout the islamic middle east for as long as the religion.

does anyone have any knowledge in order to actually offer an answer as oppossed to negging because they dont?
(edited 12 years ago)
double post
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
What is the modern day islamic view on women belly dancing, given it has arabic origins as much of islam does, and has been practiced throughout the islamic middle east for as long as the religion.

does anyone have any knowledge in order to actually offer an answer as oppossed to negging because they dont?

OK, since no one answers, I would say this :

few Muslims would gladly accept to be classified as "modern" or "modernists"

With regard to "classical" Islam : belly-dancing would fall under the general prohibition for women to exhibit their charms:
Quran (24:31)
"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed."

Therefore, belly-dancing should be considered as haram, except if the public is composed exclusively by females. Only males acceptable would be mahrams (the close relatives listed above) , children and eunuchs.

In any case, accompanying music should be non-instrumental : this is based on a famous sahih (authentic) hadith by Bukhari

Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v:

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

There seems to be an exception for one-membrane drums (duff), but only during wedding celebrations.

"It is reported regarding Hazrath Umar (R.A.) that if he heard the sound of a duff he would immediately send somebody to investigate. If it was found to be the occasion of a Walima, he would not do anything. Otherwise he would go for his whip (i.e. he would forcefully stop the playing of the duff) (Fathul Qadeer - Vol. 6, Pg. 389)" http://www.beautifulislam.net/halalharam/music.htm

Hope this helps
Original post by mariachi
OK, since no one answers, I would say this :

few Muslims would gladly accept to be classified as "modern" or "modernists"

With regard to "classical" Islam : belly-dancing would fall under the general prohibition for women to exhibit their charms:
Quran (24:31)
"And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest, and to display of their adornment only that which is apparent, and to draw their veils over their bosoms, and not to reveal their adornment save to their own husbands or fathers or husbands' fathers, or their sons or their husbands' sons, or their brothers or their brothers' sons or sisters' sons, or their women, or their slaves, or male attendants who lack vigour, or children who know naught of women's nakedness. And let them not stamp their feet so as to reveal what they hide of their adornment. And turn unto Allah together, O believers, in order that ye may succeed."

Therefore, belly-dancing should be considered as haram, except if the public is composed exclusively by females. Only males acceptable would be mahrams (the close relatives listed above) , children and eunuchs.

In any case, accompanying music should be non-instrumental : this is based on a famous sahih (authentic) hadith by Bukhari

Volume 7, Book 69, Number 494v:

Narrated Abu 'Amir or Abu Malik Al-Ash'ari:

that he heard the Prophet saying, "From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks and the use of musical instruments, as lawful. And there will be some people who will stay near the side of a mountain and in the evening their shepherd will come to them with their sheep and ask them for something, but they will say to him, 'Return to us tomorrow.' Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so till the Day of Resurrection."

There seems to be an exception for one-membrane drums (duff), but only during wedding celebrations.

"It is reported regarding Hazrath Umar (R.A.) that if he heard the sound of a duff he would immediately send somebody to investigate. If it was found to be the occasion of a Walima, he would not do anything. Otherwise he would go for his whip (i.e. he would forcefully stop the playing of the duff) (Fathul Qadeer - Vol. 6, Pg. 389)" http://www.beautifulislam.net/halalharam/music.htm

Hope this helps

Yes thanks for that, it is what i had suspected- although what is still not explained is why is continued widespread throughout the islamic middle east right up to modern day.
Asalam-Alaikum.

Recently, I've just been to a funeral, and though I know how to pray the salatul Janazah, I don't know how to conduct myself and what I'm supposed to do/say to the family that have just lost a loved one. I've not been in many of these situations and I'm just at a loss for words sometimes, so much so that I get anxiety when thinking about giving condolensces due to fear of saying the wrong thing.

So, my question is, according to the Sunnah, how should one conduct himself during a Janazah and how should one give condolensces during the Janazah?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 773
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Asalam-Alaikum.

Recently, I've just been to a funeral, and though I know how to pray the salatul Janazah, I don't know how to conduct myself and what I'm supposed to do/say to the family that have just lost a loved one. I've not been in many of these situations and I'm just at a loss for words sometimes, so much so that I get anxiety when thinking about giving condolensces due to fear of saying the wrong thing.

So, my question is, according to the Sunnah, how should one conduct himself during a Janazah and how should one give condolensces during the Janazah?

Walaikum salaam. First give them some food. The best thing for you to say is to say to them that they are in the the barzakh (next life), and always ask Allah to show mercy and give forgiveness to that person. If you know that person, give happy and light hearted story and say to them that this person was a good person. Hope this help.

May Allah give you help.

PS Before you start to speak to them, recite surah 20 verse 25- 28, Inshallah (god willing) it will help you speak nicely to the family.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 774
Translations, people. It clearly states it in the OP.
Reply 775
Not the most important theological issue, I know, but do all Muslim men sit down when they use the toilet?

I saw this on Channel 4's 'Make Bradford British'. Is there a Koranic argument for this practice?
Reply 776
Original post by Camel
Not the most important theological issue, I know, but do all Muslim men sit down when they use the toilet?

I saw this on Channel 4's 'Make Bradford British'. Is there a Koranic argument for this practice?

Indeed an odd question.

What is the Shari ruling regarding standing while urinating?
There is a hot debate here regarding this. Wile some claim that it is permissible others claim it is haram. Their argument is that there is a hadith in which Aisha says that whoever tells you that the prophet urinated while standing do not believe him. Please clarify the issue.

Praise be to Allaah.

It is not haraam for a man to urinate standing up, but it is Sunnah for him to urinate sitting down, because ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: “Whoever tells you that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to urinate standing up, do not believe him. He only ever used to urinate sitting down.” (Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, al-Tahaarah, 12; he said, this is the most saheeh report on this topic. It was also classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Sunan al-Tirmidhi, no. 11). And because this is more concealing, and it reduces the risk of any drops of urine splashing up onto him.

It was narrated from ‘Umar, Ibn ‘Umar and Zayd ibn Thaabit (may Allaah be pleased with them) that it is allowed to urinate standing up on the condition that there is no risk of drops of urine splashing onto one’s body or clothes, and that one does not expose one's ‘awrah, because al-Bukhaari and Muslim narrated from Hudhayfah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came to a garden belonging to some people, and urinated standing up. There is no contradiction between this and the hadeeth of ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), because it is possible that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did that because he was in a place where he was unable to sit down, or he did that to show the people that it is not haraam. This does not contradict the basic principle mentioned by ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), that he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) urinated sitting down, because it is Sunnah, it is not something waajib (obligatory) which it is forbidden to go against. And Allaah knows best.

http://islamqa.info/en/ref/9790
Why are men not required to wear the hijab?
Reply 778
Original post by 35mm_
Why are men not required to wear the hijab?

Actually men do wear the hijab, but it is different for them. Men only need to cover the navel up to the knee, while the women need to cover the whole body.

Hope this helps
Are the wine vinegars that appear in many sauces halal?

My sister and I are in an on going debate with her in-laws about this - we say it's not but they say it is and they're more "religious" (I hate using the word in that sense, but times like this call for it) than we are. I get it's all open to interpretation and all of that, but seriously, can someone just give me a definite answer because I've got the most gorgeous tasting sweet and sour sauce in front of my face and it's calling my name! :sexface: But it's got white wine vinegar :cry2:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending