The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Does Oxford put any emphasis on pre-interview tests once the applicant is shortlisted? Or after that is the interview the only thing that counts (along with perhaps written work etc)?
Original post by Defragmentation
Thanks ever so much for digging that up! May I ask why you're interested in Oxford as opposed to Cambridge?

It's ok :smile:, I prefer the city and the course (E&M vs straight econ at Cambridge) you?
Just an idea that I've seen done with other applicant threads before: how about we have a list in the OP with everybody's details? (I.e. Username, prospective course, GCSEs, A-Levels taken, and anything else.)

Obviously none of it needs to be set in stone (I for one don't even know if I'll get the grades to apply), but it might be something useful to do. :smile:
Count me in. :tongue:
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Count me in. :tongue:

Gapping it?
Original post by Kidioteque
Just an idea that I've seen done with other applicant threads before: how about we have a list in the OP with everybody's details? (I.e. Username, prospective course, GCSEs, A-Levels taken, and anything else.)

Obviously none of it needs to be set in stone (I for one don't even know if I'll get the grades to apply), but it might be something useful to do. :smile:

tooambitious
GCSEs: 9A*s 1A
ASs Economics, French, Further maths, Maths (196/200). Predicted: 4As
A2s: probably take all four. Predicted: unknown as of yet
Course: Economics and Management
College: undecided, maybe brasenose/ christ church
tooambitious pretty much took the words out of my mouth, but just to reiterate:

- Cambridge interview significantly more applicants
- As the CLT is taken at interview it is used as merely another piece of criteria in making the final decision; Oxford, on the other hand, use the LNAT as a means of shortlisting IIRC
- The fact that Cambridge don't use the LNAT means that it 'frees up' another space for a LNAT university. It's usually most sensible to only apply to up to 3 such unis, so that if you screw up the test you haven't ruined your chances everywhere.
- High UMS scores are taken into account. (However this can go both ways. As I only did one exam in January [and got 91/100] I currently have no real way of knowing or predicting whether my overall AS percentages will be strong or not.)

I agree with you to an extent though - jurisprudence is one of the areas of law which interests me most, so doing a degree with greater emphasis on it is appealing. As well as this, my school seem to have a much better history of success with applying to Oxford than with Cambridge (that probably doesn't mean anything, though).

I could do with visiting both institutes properly though. A lot of people say that the thing which convinced them to apply for one or the other was the 'feel' of the town/city when they got there.

Anyway, nice to meet a fellow lawyer. :smile:

My problem with the CLT is that it would be additional test that I would have to take and, I'm tired taking tests :P!

Yeah, I'm pretty much looking at three LNAT Universities and two non LNAT Universities. I however think my two non LNAT Universities will be LSE and Queen Mary.

Yeah, I absolutely love the Jurisprudence aspect of the degree, which is why I'm particularly interested in Oxford :P. Our school too has a higher rate of success with Oxford than Cambridge!

I've been to Oxford, and it was absolutely brilliant. I however haven't been to Cambridge though, maybe after going my mind will change?

Which AS levels are you studying by the way?

It's always nice to meet a fellow lawyer :P.

Perhaps you guys should adopt our system from last year. I ran the last thread but when summer exams came arrived, I found it hard to update the list so someone created a Google doc for anyone to update but then we moved on to a Stalking Page in the articles section which means that mods have a greater control over it and could still be edited by anyone. Find the old thread to see what I mean.

Original post by Zoedotdot

They are requesting a Stalking Page (or something to write up a list of applicants) it seems...

---

And also feel free to quote or pm me with anything to do with Ox in general or maths applications.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by medbh4805
I just realised that we now get the role of the wise past applicants giving advice in this thread :ahee:

:sadnod: indeed :h: basically

1. Do not screw up your AS results because predictions are based on them
2. Act really really keen (this is abit too late) but try and show your teachers that you read lots outside and ask them to borrow books etc.
3. join academically worthy clubs like debating n schtuff
4. book open days early! they're very popular

Original post by Zoedotdot
I wrote that post last July :p: Now is a perfectly acceptable time to have the thread!

:getmecoat: I didn't spot the time stamp there :tongue: but yay! :woo: fresh meat for you to bring your order upon :judge:

:love: I We'll miss you :cry2:
Gapping it?

I am indeed!
yo i've an offer for english this year if anyone has questions
Original post by Defragmentation
My problem with the CLT is that it would be additional test that I would have to take and, I'm tired taking tests :P!

Yeah, I'm pretty much looking at three LNAT Universities and two non LNAT Universities. I however think my two non LNAT Universities will be LSE and Queen Mary.

Yeah, I absolutely love the Jurisprudence aspect of the degree, which is why I'm particularly interested in Oxford :P. Our school too has a higher rate of success with Oxford than Cambridge!

I've been to Oxford, and it was absolutely brilliant. I however haven't been to Cambridge though, maybe after going my mind will change?

Which AS levels are you studying by the way?

It's always nice to meet a fellow lawyer :P.

Yeah I guess, although in the grand scheme of things an hour long test isn't much. :smile:

Same here - if I was to opt for Oxford my non-LNAT unis would probably be LSE and Warwick. I too have only been to visit Oxford (specifically ChCh) and I reaaaaally liked it, but that's not to say I won't like Cambridge more!

I'm doing English Literature, Mathematics, History, Economics, Critical Thinking and EPQ (starting it in Summer - will be on a strand of Jurisprudence, most likely). Pretty much certain of dropping Eng Lit for A2 though, and possibly picking up another AS. What about you? :smile:

Original post by Reminisce
Perhaps you guys should adopt our system from last year. I ran the last thread but when summer exams came arrived, I found it hard to update the list so someone created a Google doc for anyone to update but then we moved on to a Stalking Page in the articles section which means that mods have a greater control over it and could still be edited by anyone. Find the old thread to see what I mean.

They are requesting a Stalking Page (or something to write up a list of applicants) it seems...

---

And also feel free to quote or pm me with anything to do with Ox in general or maths applications.

This ^ sounds like the best plan. Also wondering if it's worth making a new thread altogether, as the first couple of pages of this one aren't really relevant - mostly just people having a go at an over-eager OP :lol:

Anybody else have any thoughts?
I am indeed!

Awesome, hope to possibly see you in 2013! What're your plans for the year out?
Awesome, hope to possibly see you in 2013! What're your plans for the year out?

You too!

I hope to attain some more political work experience, get a job, take Further Maths AS+A2, and hopefully travel a little. :biggrin:\

Also, I noticed you mentioned thinking of dropping English Literature when you get to A2: wise decision; it's so dry. :dry:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 94
ModLangs gives interviews to 93% of applicants so I'm pretty confident I'll get an interview as long as I get 4As at AS. Unfortunately, 4As isn't that easy! :frown:
You too!

I hope to attain some more political work experience, get a job, take Further Maths AS+A2, and hopefully travel a little. :biggrin:\

Also, I noticed you mentioned thinking of dropping English Literature when you get to A2: wise decision; it's so dry. :dry:

Sounds good! All the best with it. May I ask what you feel went 'wrong' this UCAS cycle?

And I'm glad you approve haha. For a long time I had this idea in my head that I'd continue all 4 on to A2 but doubt I will now... it just seems unnecessary unless you really love all your subjects, and I certainly do not love my school's English Literature course. :lol:
have you started you A-levels yet....? -_-
Original post by tooambitious
It's ok :smile:, I prefer the city and the course (E&M vs straight econ at Cambridge) you?

I think I prefer the course at Oxford, and I don't particularly like the fact that Cambridge are so numerical-based in the admission process.
Yeah I guess, although in the grand scheme of things an hour long test isn't much. :smile:

Same here - if I was to opt for Oxford my non-LNAT unis would probably be LSE and Warwick. I too have only been to visit Oxford (specifically ChCh) and I reaaaaally liked it, but that's not to say I won't like Cambridge more!

I'm doing English Literature, Mathematics, History, Economics, Critical Thinking and EPQ (starting it in Summer - will be on a strand of Jurisprudence, most likely). Pretty much certain of dropping Eng Lit for A2 though, and possibly picking up another AS. What about you? :smile:

Aha but I'd have to prepare for that hour, which requires a lot more hours.

I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, History and Philosophy, General Studies (does that count?) as well as the EPQ (mine too will be related to Jurisprudence aha :P). I'm depressingly going to carry on with all four :s-smilie:. For a long time, I was determined to drop Biology, but turned out my highest mark was in Bio, so just decided to do all four aha.
Original post by Kimiechi
History, you?

Hi! Nice to see another potential History applicant (although I'm still dithering over English Lit as well and consequently haven't looked into the courses as much as I'd like). Which A-levels do you take?

Latest

Trending

Trending