The Student Room Group

Impressing Computer Science Admissions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by hleong
d

How extremely patronizing. I'm disagreeing with your point. People in general will worry about exams, so your point is to spend time working on university preparations instead of revision? Yeah I agree you aren't one of the smart ones. In March, April,May,June time its best to be focused on your exams. This is based on my experiences.

If you haven't noticed I'm already at university and a first year Computer Science student. My signature as well as being PS Helper should indicate that.

"If you don't want to take my opinion, that's fine, but I'm merely reflecting what I experienced through and what I have heard from many people who process students' applications. But if you do follow what I have suggested it could only benefit you and will definitely help you in the future.

That is unless you think anything more in the discipline is too much work. In which case maybe you're in the wrong field."

If you are going to quote me again lose the tone and stop the patronizing. I personally have covered logical gates, binary, Computer Organization & Computer Architecture with a bit assembly language included. This doesn't me i would advise an A level student to go out and look into, when chances are they won't go any further into the subject. However if they are interest into the subject then by all means read.

If they really want to impress the admission tutor than talking about NP-complete problems, NP problems or even AI-complete.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hleong
http://www.slideshare.net/olvemaudal/deep-c

This is a presentation in understanding the language.

Yes, it is. Whats your point?
Reply 22
Just thought to share... Jeez why's everyone so defensive around here.
Reply 23
Original post by FinalMH
How extremely patronizing. I'm disagreeing with your point. People in general will worry about exams, so your point is to spend time working on university preparations instead of revision? Yeah I agree you aren't one of the smart ones. In March, April,May,June time its best to be focused on your exams. This is based on my experiences.

If you haven't noticed I'm already at university and a first year Computer Science student. My signature as well as being PS Helper should indicate that.

"If you don't want to take my opinion, that's fine, but I'm merely reflecting what I experienced through and what I have heard from many people who process students' applications. But if you do follow what I have suggested it could only benefit you and will definitely help you in the future.

That is unless you think anything more in the discipline is too much work. In which case maybe you're in the wrong field."

If you are going to quote me again lose the tone and stop the patronizing. I personally have covered logical gates, binary, Computer Organization & Computer Architecture with a bit assembly language included. This doesn't me i would advise an A level student to go out and look into, when chances are they won't go any further into the subject. However if they are interest into the subject then by all means read.

If they really want to impress the admission tutor than talking about NP-complete problems, NP problems or even AI-complete.

Sorry if I came across as patronising, I'm being blunt and straight to the point. It may be harsh but fair.

I don't need to impress any admission tutors because I work alongside them, and it's great that you know all these things, I was only implying to those who may take interests in what could help them.

During exams time, it's fine that students don't pay much attention to work outside their studies, but it should be habit for the students to read a lot of the literatures outside of their studies if they wish to pursue in CS. When I was a mentor for an A-Level students I spent an hour with him each week where we solved puzzles which prepared him for the University interview. A few hours a week is not too much to ask though, is it?

Although on a separate note, sometimes talking about those NP-problems doesn't help, what really helps especially in the field of Engineering is your personal experience. It's all good to know about these literature, but it's worthless without application. // Not Quoting here, just a general heads up.
Reply 24
Original post by hleong
Sorry if I came across as patronising, I'm being blunt and straight to the point. It may be harsh but fair.

I don't need to impress any admission tutors because I work alongside them, and it's great that you know all these things, I was only implying to those who may take interests in what could help them.

During exams time, it's fine that students don't pay much attention to work outside their studies, but it should be habit for the students to read a lot of the literatures outside of their studies if they wish to pursue in CS. When I was a mentor for an A-Level students I spent an hour with him each week where we solved puzzles which prepared him for the University interview. A few hours a week is not too much to ask though, is it?

Although on a separate note, sometimes talking about those NP-problems doesn't help, what really helps especially in the field of Engineering is your personal experience. It's all good to know about these literature, but it's worthless without application. // Not Quoting here, just a general heads up. Patronizing...

Stop the patronizing you seem to imply that because it work for you everyone should do it....

People have their different methods in life :s-smilie: In terms of impressing tutors it depends your method is your way, my method is my way no way is wrong. I just disagree with you. Each to their own.
Original post by hleong
Just thought to share... Jeez why's everyone so defensive around here.

Im not defensive, just wondering why you quoted me when you linked that document? Im not applying for CS, I already study it and clearly impressed admission tutors considering I got 2 reduced offers from 2 top 5 universities, im not one to boast but I think I know what im on about.
Reply 26
Original post by hypercaine.
Im not defensive, just wondering why you quoted me when you linked that document? Im not applying for CS, I already study it and clearly impressed admission tutors considering I got 2 reduced offers from 2 top 5 universities, im not one to boast but I think I know what im on about.

On threaded forums, it's common practice to "reply" to posts with some supplementary information, so that it appears just below instead of on the other end of the page. I think that's all it was.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending