The Student Room Group

Would you rather be supersized or superskinny?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Superskinny. Although I'd rather not be any of the 2...
Original post by TheStudent.
Anorexia is a 'real' problem. Yes she might not have been in the mood, but its still characterised as anorexia.

i mean for normal people ,not with people with problems, so what exactly you are trying to argue? that loosing weight is harder than gaining weight? i told you, you can control not to eat like a hippo but is ten times harder to control eating constantly {without breaks ,for example eat one week full and then the other whenever..}
Reply 82
Of course, neither is good. But I'd rather be superskinny because at least you won't get picked on as much and I'd still be able to do more activities that fat people can't do.

At one point during my suffering of psychosis and depression, I was *slightly* underweight. But since being on Seroquel XL I put on a whole stone. But fortunately I'm a healthy 9 stone which is fine for my age and height. I'm now eating properly and going for nice long walks with my dog.

Also, I watch Supersize v Superskinny regularly. :smile:
supersized, why the hell not
Original post by Dr.Kweks waszabi
It is weird I just want to know why it's the case it's evident that most people are aware of it so why don't we change it?

I am trying to change it. That's why I'm planning to pay a visit at mc donalds soon!
Super skinny, just because it is much easier to eat lots to go back to a normal weight, than to have to diet to get down to a normal weight.
Original post by neverlander¾
I am trying to change it. That's why I'm planning to pay a visit at mc donalds soon!

LoL
Original post by Reelo
Neither are good (of course), but it's known that being super-skinny is more readily accepted in society. For instance, you'll never see a superskinny child being singled out due to their size...my 6 year-old brother is a tad chubby and unfortunately he gets picked on because of it. Kids can be cruel :frown:

As for my personal opinion, I myself am fairly skinny (BMI: 17.5) but don't have any health problems related to my weight so I'm okay. But being super-skinny can be bad for women, it can mess with that time of the month, can make it harder to concieve etc.

Sorry, I negged you! I was trying to quote you. :redface: Anyway, I'm about the same BMI as you but when I was a child I was slightly picked on for being small. :tongue:

Anyway, I think there are less health problems with being superskinny (unless you become superanorexic and starve yourself to death.) Obviously there are quite a few health problems, but not as much as being superfat.
Original post by NuclearFusion
Super skinny, just because it is much easier to eat lots to go back to a normal weight, than to have to diet to get down to a normal weight.

I wouldn't say it's easier to put on weight than to lose. An obese person can just sit there and not eat and they'll lose. But for a skinny person with a teeny tiny appetite i'd imagine it's a lot of effort to eat so much food. They'd get full easy/feel sick/etc. Yes I know a fat person will have to exercise but if they cut down they're intake massively with no exercise they'd lose weight.

Fat person can sit on their arse, just not eat and lose.
Skinny person has to put effort in.

Obviously, the psychological issues which screw things up aren't being accounted for here.
(edited 12 years ago)
It annoys me so much seeing people claim how easy it is to put on weight, try forcing yourself to eat more when your stomach is already bursting without throwing it back up or having a bellyache for the next 2 hours.
Reply 91
Super Skinny, people generally find it more attractive.
Neither is good, obviously. But if I had to pick one, it would be skinny, just because it must be unbearably uncomfortable carrying all that weight around.
Reply 93
Superskinny.

Even if the reason for being superskinny was due to some eating disorder, I'm judging it solely on the basis of what you're left with when you eventually get back to normal weight. With being supersized, you could end up with a lot of excess skin that needs surgery and such to remove. With being super skinny, you may get a few stretch marks, but they soon go.

Obviously, I'd rather not be either, but between the two, superskinny.
Original post by Simplicity
I disagree with that. Most common problem is that skinny can't gain weight or build muscle.

It depends how skinny and how fat. But, personally I would want to be supersized as being a skinny kid must suck. Like being a girl.[/QUOTE]

Whats wrong with being a girl??
Supersized kids get picked on more because theyre fat. Plus they cant run away from the bullies.. so its actually better to be a skinny kid :tongue:
Perhaps not super size, but I'd rather be, I don't know, a size 16/18 than a size zero...
Original post by Rybee
Superskinny.

Why do people see superskinny as more acceptable than being supersized?

I am a 22male, fairly built @ 12 stone. If I was 9 stone I'd be super skinny. That's a decrease in 25% of my body weight and just 3 stone difference.

If I was 30 stone I'd be supersized. That's an increase of 250% of my body weight and 18 stone difference. Comparing a difference of -25% to +250% of difference in body weight and 3Stone to 18Stone is incredible.

Thus the difference between 'normal' and superskinny far exceeds that of being normal and 'supersized'. That's why people see superskinny as more acceptable than being supersized.

Err, I would say that supersized starts significantly lower than 30 stone...
Original post by ♥ ♥
Perhaps not super size, but I'd rather be, I don't know, a size 16/18 than a size zero...

:lolwut:
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
:lolwut:

Why is that so weird? I'd rather be a healthier weight. Maybe size 18 is pushing it, but I'd rather have some sort of structure than just bones.

There are some beautiful size 16 people out there, much more beautiful than a random twig-like girl
Original post by ♥ ♥
Why is that so weird? I'd rather be a healthier weight. Maybe size 18 is pushing it, but I'd rather have some sort of structure than just bones.

There are some beautiful size 16 people out there, much more beautiful than a random twig-like girl

I really must disagree on both counts. I cannot think of anyone size 16 that I've ever classed as attractive, nor do I believe such a size is healthy in an ordinary and natural meaning of the word.

Quick Reply

Latest