The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

This has almost certainly been discussed on here but meh. Has Mancini done anything this season to suggest he should keep his job next season?

The most expensive squad ever assembled yet he lost the Charity Shield in 45 minutes despite a 2 goal head start, crumbled immediately out of the FA Cup, had the easiest run of games in the Carling Cup until they eventually failed at home to an awful Liverpool side. Then can't even win a league with two contenders where the other team doesn't play with a proper goalkeeper.

Genuinely don't know how this can be considered even average, let alone exceeding expectations.
Reply 2861
Original post by Colbert
This has almost certainly been discussed on here but meh. Has Mancini done anything this season to suggest he should keep his job next season?

The most expensive squad ever assembled yet he lost the Charity Shield in 45 minutes despite a 2 goal head start, crumbled immediately out of the FA Cup, had the easiest run of games in the Carling Cup until they eventually failed at home to an awful Liverpool side. Then can't even win a league with two contenders where the other team doesn't play with a proper goalkeeper.

Genuinely don't know how this can be considered even average, let alone exceeding expectations.

:rolleyes:

edit-u forget to mention CL 3rd place :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ano1
:rolleyes:

edit-u forget to mention CL 3rd place :wink:

Was such a failed campaign I forgot that even happened :rofl3:

Out at the first time of asking in both European Cups too ffs. GET RID.
Original post by Colbert

Can you judge a baker on the quality of his dough?
Reply 2864
Original post by Colbert
Was such a failed campaign I forgot that even happened :rofl3:

Out at the first time of asking in both European Cups too ffs. GET RID.

I hate this part of football.

Are Wolves any better with out Mick?

Did Chelsea or Real Madrid go onto win the CL after sacking managers from 05-now.

Give him 5 years. Then judge. This project is just starting to yield some results. Getting rid now would destroy players like Dzeko, Milner, Johnson, imo.
Original post by warwickorbristol
Can you judge a baker on the quality of his dough?

If he'd spent years of his life lovingly kneading it into a gorgeous loaf then yes, obviously.

Original post by Ano1
I hate this part of football.

Are Wolves any better with out Mick?

Did Chelsea or Real Madrid go onto win the CL after sacking managers from 05-now.

Give him 5 years. Then judge. This project is just starting to yield some results. Getting rid now would destroy players like Dzeko, Milner, Johnson, imo.

He has a long history of bottling it tbf. Johnson and Dzeko have flourished under Mancini, good point :erm:
Mancini will get replaced depending on the availability of a world class manager.

Imo City owners are really looking at Mourinho to see if he'll move this season.

If you were Mourinho would you take the City job or the Spurs job? :colondollar:
This is laughable, the owners have being saying that the aim this year was always going to be cementing a Champions League place, one point behind the leaders and well in with a shot at the title means we are in the title race. We got 10 points in the Champions League group stage, usually enough to get a team through being knocked out of an insanely difficult group. We've won 5-1 and 6-1 at WHL and OT, we've won the FA Cup and are looking at being a European force very soon once our UEFA Coefficient is boosted. Sack Mancini? You can tell some people really have no clue about City.
7 wins from 8 games against the other top 6 sides.
Original post by Colbert

The cup exits have been dissappointing but I think he's too good to let go of - he's a winner at the end of the day, just look at his record in a tough league in Italy. Despite the money, teams need time to gel, and we've just had a rocky patch which hopefully ended on Wednesday. If we win the league, nothing else matters, because we've knocked United off their perch. Who would we get instead of Mancini any way? You would say Mourinho, but would he come, and would he do a better job? It'd be bye bye Mario Balotelli aswel. Stick with Mancini I say - sacking the manager every 2 years does nothing for any club, just look at Chelsea.
Jesus. That push that wasn't given followed by a goal he'll never replicate sums up our season for me. It's just not gonna happen this season unless United fancy dropping atleast 4 points outside of the derby.
Jesus. That push that wasn't given followed by a goal he'll never replicate sums up our season for me. It's just not gonna happen this season unless United fancy dropping atleast 4 points outside of the derby.

Why does that sum up your season? Decisions not going your way? Debatabledecisions puts you only 1 decision worse off than us, and had us top even when you were 4 points ahead.
What is it with your lot and crying, even the scousers didnt do that.
Well, we're not going to win anything this year. Pretty much come to terms with that. I don't want to be one of those 'NEXT YEAR IS OUR YEAR' Arsenal/'pool guys, but I genuinely think we'll probably walk it in 12/13.

Could moan about various decisions, but the fact we can't seem to play away from home is inarguably the bigger factor. The FA could create some sort of vaguely human abomination from the genetic detail of Foy, Clattenburg, Attwell and Eamonn Holmes for the purposes of officiating every City game and four points from four away games would still be ****.
Original post by Christien
Well, we're not going to win anything this year. Pretty much come to terms with that. I don't want to be one of those 'NEXT YEAR IS OUR YEAR' Arsenal/'pool guys, but I genuinely think we'll probably walk it in 12/13.

Could moan about various decisions, but the fact we can't seem to play away from home is inarguably the bigger factor. The FA could create some sort of vaguely human abomination from the genetic detail of Foy, Clattenburg, Attwell and Eamonn Holmes for the purposes of officiating every City game and four points from four away games would still be ****.

Depends on summer activity tbh. Man Utd lost arguably more than they gained (fletcher vidic out and jones young in) and still exceeded you in the league despite having the worst injuries.

I doubt we'l be dormant in transfer activity again, if we make one or two quality signings you certainly won't "walk it".
Original post by rorydaredking
Why does that sum up your season? Decisions not going your way? Debatabledecisions puts you only 1 decision worse off than us, and had us top even when you were 4 points ahead.
What is it with your lot and crying, even the scousers didnt do that.

Because ****e like Barry getting pushed in the back has happened every week (Last week again it was a push in the back resulting in their goal). Offsides and penalties are vaguely forgiveable in that they happen so quickly, but a push in the back as the ball loops through the air is just ridiculous. I am for a physical game but it requires no amount of strength to put someone off balance like that, and if it were allowed no-one would actually challenge a header.

Secondly the fact Crouch could take that chance another 100 times and not score it. We've faced teams on ridiculous on days far too many times.
I think its a bit early to be saying the title race is over. If you were looking at 07/08 United defence then maybe but currently we are dependant on scoring against any decent team we have conceded, very easy to drop points like that.

As has been said, if City were going to walk it, this season would be it. United very weak at the back, injuries and lack of form on the wings, weak in the centre. Not sure you will see another Fergie team with so many holes. I don't think there will be many season were United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Pool are all so weak.

As for Manicini losing his job, if the squads were swapped how do you think the league would look with SAF managing your team? I think you would be looking at an Invincible's season. But who is going to replace him and keep that team in check?
(edited 12 years ago)
Because ****e like Barry getting pushed in the back has happened every week (Last week again it was a push in the back resulting in their goal). Offsides and penalties are vaguely forgiveable in that they happen so quickly, but a push in the back as the ball loops through the air is just ridiculous. I am for a physical game but it requires no amount of strength to put someone off balance like that, and if it were allowed no-one would actually challenge a header.

Secondly the fact Crouch could take that chance another 100 times and not score it. We've faced teams on ridiculous on days far too many times.

What about Barry's atrocious tackle in the first half? It went unpunished. Should've been a pen and a card. A yellow for your DM that early would change the game.

And surely even you have to admit that City had an off day as much as Stoke had an on one. City were quite poor, looked bereft of creativity and you really need another plan other than 'Give it to Silva'.
Reply 2877
Original post by doggyfizzel
Manicini losing his job, if the squads were swapped how do you think the league would look with SAF managing your team? I think you would be looking at an Invincible's season. But who is going to replace him and keep that team in check?

I don't think Mancini will lose his job, I certainly don't want him to lose it. We aren't going to improve by sacking him, even if we bring in Mourinho. Doing a Chelsea's not a great way of going about achieving long-term stability.

Original post by Kevmeister
What about Barry's atrocious tackle in the first half? It went unpunished. Should've been a pen and a card. A yellow for your DM that early would change the game.

And surely even you have to admit that City had an off day as much as Stoke had an on one. City were quite poor, looked bereft of creativity and you really need another plan other than 'Give it to Silva'.

Everything you've said there is right but for our plan being 'Give it to Silva'.
Original post by doggyfizzel
As for Manicini losing his job, if the squads were swapped how do you think the league would look with SAF managing your team? I think you would be looking at an Invincible's season. But who is going to replace him and keep that team in check?

We have a team of footballers and complex characters. SAF has always built teams of athletes and professionals. I think a season with our squad would be his biggest test to date.
Mancini is actually moaning about how physical stoke are.

I mean seriously.. not like he has played them before, as has everyone else, and everyone knows how they play.

Quick Reply

Latest