The Student Room Group

Chance of getting in if I miss grades marginally?

The course is to study economics BSC at Essex University, they've asked that I get ABB at A level, the A can be in any subject.

Considering the fee increases this year and that it's an economics course at Essex University, what are the chances I could still get into the ABB course if I got ABC?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'd probably hope for clearing. Universities usually see it as a pass/fail scenario. I got an AAB offer from Bristol and got ABBE and was a no since I didn't have the second A.
I know bath also operate a similar scenario, they wanted ABB and AAC wasn't accepted
Reply 2
Think positive and just get the offer instead of thinking what happens if you don't. X
Reply 3
Original post by shaun12345
You'd probably hope for clearing. Universities usually see it as a pass/fail scenario. I got an AAB offer from Bristol and got ABBE and was a no since I didn't have the second A.
I know bath also operate a similar scenario, they wanted ABB and AAC wasn't accepted

Know of any examples from Essex? From what I've heard, it comes down to space.

eg.
Uni 1 has 150 places and 150 students get equal to or more than requested grades
Uni 2 has 150 places and 130 students get equal to or more than requested grades.

Some universities may be oversubscribed and be less likely to consider someone who marginally missed the grades whereas others may be less subscribed to and offer some places to people who have marginally missed the grades.
Reply 4
Original post by rudin94
Think positive and just get the offer instead of thinking what happens if you don't. X

Okay. Just want to know what I should do immediately after finding out I marginally missed the grades. Would prefer to find out now rather than when everyone is getting places through clearing.
"You can come if you meet these conditions."

"Can I still come if I miss these conditions?"

Not likely I'm afraid. That said, it does happen every so often. I know my girlfriend got the right grades overall but was 2 marks off getting them in the right subjects and they let her in.
Reply 6
Original post by Rob da Mop
"You can come if you meet these conditions."

"Can I still come if I miss these conditions?"

Not likely I'm afraid. That said, it does happen every so often. I know my girlfriend got the right grades overall but was 2 marks off getting them in the right subjects and they let her in.

Did they give your girlfriend the offer when they gave everyone else offers or did she have to phone them and ask after being rejected on UCAS?
Original post by Cythreill
Did they give your girlfriend the offer when they gave everyone else offers or did she have to phone them and ask after being rejected on UCAS?

I'll ask her when I talk to her later, but I think she checked track in the morning and they'd given her the offer.
Reply 8
Original post by Rob da Mop
I'll ask her when I talk to her later, but I think she checked track in the morning and they'd given her the offer.

Thanks, if you could message me later about it that'd be helpful. I'll prolly end up calling UCAS about it anyway though.
Okay. Just want to know what I should do immediately after finding out I marginally missed the grades. Would prefer to find out now rather than when everyone is getting places through clearing.

Check what UCAS track says, if it doesn't say their decision then perhaps try calling them, and if it does say unconditional/unsuccessful then that decision will usually be final.
It depends on how full the course is. If they have space, they will usually offer to people who just missed out, especially if you had them as firm choice. If it's full they will only take those who achieved the offer and had them as a firm choice. If it's a reserve choice even meeting the offer doesn't guarentee a place if they are heavily subscribed. I nearly missed out on my firm choice as I was 1 grade down, but thankfully it was an error as they hadn't taken into account the two A levels I'd done that year, not the one I had from the previous year.

The best thing to do is to get in touch as soon as possible after getting your results, as you are unlikely to be the only one who has just missed out, and if they have any spare places after taking all those who have the grades, they will likely offer them on a first come first served basis. They might also offer alternative courses with lower grade requirements (AFAIK you would have to apply through clearing, but they will bascially say they will accept you if you do).

Really though, it's not worth worrying about until you get the results back, and beyond doing the best you can to get the grades there is nothing you can do until then. At this stage almost every course will be oversubscribed, but until the results come out they don't know how many of those will get the grades and how many who have them as a reserve will miss out on their firm.
(edited 12 years ago)
I got in without even missing it marginally, my offer was AB, and I got an A and a fail. (and this was for a good uni).
Some people are still let in, others are not. I don't think it even depends on the university. Just try your best - I missed my firm choice offer by two UMS marks (turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I'd not really been 100% keen on the course and have reapplied this year) and was rejected... yet I know other people who had missed their grades for other universities more than I had to still be let in. Do not have the attitude I did ("oh they'll probably still let me in so I don't have to try as hard...") if it's where you really want to go and what you really want to do.
Reply 13
My friend got into UCL to do Physics with ABB when he needed AAB.
Reply 14
Original post by fluttershy
If it's full they will only take those who missed the offer and had them as a firm choice.

I assume you meant 'If it's full they will only take those who achieved the offer and had them as a firm choice.'?

Original post by seanfromtheblock
I got in without even missing it marginally, my offer was AB, and I got an A and a fail. (and this was for a good uni).

Congrats lol, that's nuts.

Original post by ironandwine
Do not have the attitude I did ("oh they'll probably still let me in so I don't have to try as hard...") if it's where you really want to go and what you really want to do.

Yes, I'll make sure to try my hardest over the next 3 months to ensure I get the grades I need. I'd just preferred to be informed.

edit: I think my concern comes from the marks I get in one particular subject. I'm confident about getting A's in 2 of my subjects, but my third subject I'm just a bit concerned about even getting a B.
(edited 12 years ago)
I assume you meant 'If it's full they will only take those who achieved the offer and had them as a firm choice.'?

Sorry, yes I did. I think I reworded what I was trying to say but forgot to change it all.
The course is to study economics BSC at Essex University, they've asked that I get ABB at A level, the A can be in any subject.

Considering the fee increases this year and that it's an economics course at Essex University, what are the chances I could still get into the ABB course if I got ABC?

From experience, we can't give you comforting advice or advice you want to hear but I will give you realistic advice and harsh yet truth.

Is the offer conditional or unconditional? I would assume conditional based on what you've said. ABB

If you got ABC, there are several scenarios:

1) You did not meet their entry requirements therefore you cannot get in. (Why? Same applies to everyone, places are competitive)
2) You may be rejected but later accepted due to filling in spaces.
3) You may be accepted

Every university, admission, circumstances, experience are different. The best advice is try your very best to get ABB. I'm sure you can get ABB
Reply 17
Original post by fourdigit
From experience, we can't give you comforting advice or advice you want to hear but I will give you realistic advice and harsh yet truth.

Is the offer conditional or unconditional? I would assume conditional based on what you've said. ABB

If you got ABC, there are several scenarios:

1) You did not meet their entry requirements therefore you cannot get in. (Why? Same applies to everyone, places are competitive)
2) You may be rejected but later accepted due to filling in spaces.
3) You may be accepted

Every university, admission, circumstances, experience are different. The best advice is try your very best to get ABB. I'm sure you can get ABB

Comforting advice isn't what I should look for, it could just give me less incentive to work hard.

Yes, it's conditional. My grades at end of AS were BCC, in Jan they changed to ABC in Jan. I'm quite confident about the AB staying the same, just concerned about the C.

Perhaps the last question I have now is:

On results day, is calling the Uni up the first thing I should do? Seeing as it can quickly become a first come first served situation, it seems to make sense to try to be the first to 'come' to them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Comforting advice isn't what I should look for, it could just give me less incentive to work hard.

Yes, it's conditional. My grades at end of AS were BCC, in Jan they changed to ABC in Jan. I'm quite confident about the AB staying the same, just concerned about the C.

Perhaps the last question I have now is:

On results day, is calling the Uni up the first thing I should do? Seeing as it can quickly become a first come first served situation, it seems to make sense to try to be the first to 'come' to them.

Yes, when results day do arrive, please do get in touch with them. From my experience, I managed to view my results 3 hours before my college received the grades, this was online. This is convenient for those who wish to extra measures to be the first to ring the university office about your inquiries.

I would assume most would have difficulty sleeping day before results day, hehe don't blame them :biggrin:

So do try and check online and do become aware that at some point on that day it will become overloaded with users making it very slow to load the page.

Good luck!
Reply 19
Original post by fourdigit
Yes, when results day do arrive, please do get in touch with them. From my experience, I managed to view my results 3 hours before my college received the grades, this was online. This is convenient for those who wish to extra measures to be the first to ring the university office about your inquiries.

I would assume most would have difficulty sleeping day before results day, hehe don't blame them :biggrin:

So do try and check online and do become aware that at some point on that day it will become overloaded with users making it very slow to load the page.

Good luck!

Where do people usually go to get their results?

What is the fastest way to view the results?

When is this website slowest, 8 AM, 1 PM etc.?

Does it get slower from 8 AM and peak at 2 PM or does it peak at 8 PM and get faster as the day goes on?

Quick Reply

Latest