Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham University Freshers 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Whitworth92
Economics at Collingwood - any others out there heading to Collingwood, feel free to add me on Facebook - Rupert Whitworth

Bring on October!!!

Just wondering what GCSEs, AS and A2s you achieved. Will be grateful.

Also, initial opinions on the city, course and Econ department? if you'd be so kind as to oblige? :tongue:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 221
Original post by Hope333
Thanks! I wrote Grey in UCAS! :smile: Lets hope I have done the right choice.

It's a problem I didn't check often enough, but it's good you made the right choice! The first term is great, great fresher's week, met great people, somehow got (in?)famous (as eve can testify, if I think that's the eve I know, she lives on the corridor above) which faded as everyone decided I wasn't as awesome as they made out (happens to everyone)
I actually chose Grey for the gowns, and wearing it in formals do make you feel good, as is matriculation.
Now, all I can say is, good luck and I may see you next year!
Reply 222
Hi! Well, Durham made me an offer and now the only thing that bothers me is how I am going to manage my finances (living costs, books, etc.) after the first year, since my family can only help me with some money for the first year. I am an EU student and all scholarships and grants I read about are for UK students only=( so I need advice from somebody who studies at Durham and works at the same time. Is it hard to find a part time job? What kind of job can you find? How much are you paid an hour? Is it hard to keep a high academic level (I will study Chemistry) and work at the same time? Can you be given an industrial sponsership or a loan from any company there (I haven't been a UK resident in the last three years so no student loan for me). Every financial help is important. Thanks!
Reply 223
Original post by Hope333
Hi! Well, Durham made me an offer and now the only thing that bothers me is how I am going to manage my finances (living costs, books, etc.) after the first year, since my family can only help me with some money for the first year. I am an EU student and all scholarships and grants I read about are for UK students only=( so I need advice from somebody who studies at Durham and works at the same time. Is it hard to find a part time job? What kind of job can you find? How much are you paid an hour? Is it hard to keep a high academic level (I will study Chemistry) and work at the same time? Can you be given an industrial sponsership or a loan from any company there (I haven't been a UK resident in the last three years so no student loan for me). Every financial help is important. Thanks!

All I can tell you is, the workload isn't bad if you're organised *Hughes tutorial work is another question, extra care there*. I'm not and I made most of the deadlines and passed progress tests (I tend to panic and start an essay in the last 12 hours before deadline and misses them, do not do!).
Learn your maths. You might be surprised. If you did Further Maths it does help, some of it is in there and you don't want to sit in a lecture at 9am listening to Hodgkinson going on and on about matrices when you're tired and not getting it. It hurts.
Reply 224
Original post by Hope333

Hi,

Sorry I'm replying a little late.

You should not aim at having a job while studying; it's possible but don't let your studies suffer! Terms only last 8 weeks (or less) and are a rush of chaos and deadlines. Especially if you are doing chemistry, you will have a lot of contact hours/labs so not much time for anything else! I do some small things on the side myself: college shop, toastie bar, library. Some people I know have a job phoning up alumni. Minimum wage when you're over 21 is a little more than 6 pounds an hour. I also do some freelance graphics work (pays a lot better). And you can certainly work over the holidays: we have 5-6 months of that a year! Insane. It ought to be used for essay research/internships/etc. but obviously that can be combined with a full-time job if you can handle the lack of sleep.

Also 2nd year and beyond can be a lot cheaper if you don't live in College. I've saved ridiculous amounts of money on having a much cheaper rent, and not spending a lot of money on food.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending