The Student Room Group

AS Level Revision Help

Hey everybody,

2 weeks off and I want to start Monday with revising. I am taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. However, I find it really hard to structure my revision. How do people recommend I go about revising? I have plenty of revision guides but I am not very keen on them at all. I think I benefit most from past papers, but I don't want to "use" them all up. Also, there are sites like Integral Maths MEI that can be used.

Any tips are really welcome, advice on how long to study for each day, etc. And loads of teachers are saying it's too late to start revising- they are just using scare tactics right?

Thanks so much!
The best thing I ever did was draw up a timetable for revision. Do something like 45 minutes sessions, with 15 minute breaks in between sessions, and do one subject per session. This way, if it's structured you know that you will cover all of your subjects equally well and not avoid your less favoured ones (as I tend to do :tongue:).
I'd advise reading through your notes/revision guides (for chem, bio, and physics) and then without looking, try writing out the main points from memory on another piece of paper. This really helps me to absorb the information thoroughly and retain it (most importantly). After covering all your submodules, try doing a past paper, marking it, looking at the areas you need to improve on and then, going back and doing some more work on those areas.
Maths is more tricky, and I find that practice is really the key. I like to practice techniques such as calculus until I can do it all from memory, and understand why I'm doing each step. So going through those exercises in the MEI textbook (even if you've done them before) until you can do them correctly without looking at your notes/examples will really help for the exam papers. Plus, I always surprise myself by how quickly I forget exam questions. Make sure you start to simulate that exam situation with the timing, and sitting still for 90 minutes by the end of easter, and you'll feel so much more ready for the exams come May. It's definitely not too late to start revising! If you do it effectively and are strict with yourself, you will be fine! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by myfriendSQRT(-1)
The best thing I ever did was draw up a timetable for revision. Do something like 45 minutes sessions, with 15 minute breaks in between sessions, and do one subject per session. This way, if it's structured you know that you will cover all of your subjects equally well and not avoid your less favoured ones (as I tend to do :tongue:).
I'd advise reading through your notes/revision guides (for chem, bio, and physics) and then without looking, try writing out the main points from memory on another piece of paper. This really helps me to absorb the information thoroughly and retain it (most importantly). After covering all your submodules, try doing a past paper, marking it, looking at the areas you need to improve on and then, going back and doing some more work on those areas.
Maths is more tricky, and I find that practice is really the key. I like to practice techniques such as calculus until I can do it all from memory, and understand why I'm doing each step. So going through those exercises in the MEI textbook (even if you've done them before) until you can do them correctly without looking at your notes/examples will really help for the exam papers. Plus, I always surprise myself by how quickly I forget exam questions. Make sure you start to simulate that exam situation with the timing, and sitting still for 90 minutes by the end of easter, and you'll feel so much more ready for the exams come May. It's definitely not too late to start revising! If you do it effectively and are strict with yourself, you will be fine! Good luck! :smile:

Thanks so much. Going to print off that whole response as it sounds really great!
Original post by George_
Thanks so much. Going to print off that whole response as it sounds really great!

No problem! Just believe you can do it :smile:
Reply 4
www.getrevising.co.uk

This website is really good for planning a timetable :biggrin:

<3 x
Reply 5
Original post by LETSJaM
www.getrevising.co.uk

This website is really good for planning a timetable :biggrin:

<3 x

Awesome, looks good! I'll take a look.
Reply 6
I actually find that pure revising (reading books) for 20 minutes and looking at formula's per subject per day and then doing a couple of past papers is good for me, however some people would care to differ :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending