The Student Room Group

Dentistry Re-applicants 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neeloo
Oh thats great to hear! Gives us some hope that it is possible then! Ive contacted the Universities which all requested letters but Ive not really heard anything yet but Ill be going form there.

What sorts of things did you do whilst on your gap year and how did you make your application stronger? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Well I decided to go travelling, but ran out of money! Lol. So I worked for a while and visited Canada over winter. When I came back I got another job and worked until the end of the summer. Most of the money was gone by the end of Freshers' week. Hehe.

I did a bit more work experience, re-wrote my personal statement and did charity volunteering. The key thing is to do something. Universities don't like it if you have a lazy year. It doesn't need to be particularly dentistry related - do something you're interested in. Volunteering is a good choice, showing a caring side and a willingness to work without being money oriented.
Is anyone considering to attend the ukcat kaplan course? Apparently it improved some people's scores by over 150
Original post by jedi-master
Is anyone considering to attend the ukcat kaplan course? Apparently it improved some people's scores by over 150

A friend is letting me borrow the KAPLAN booklet, apparently they just read from the book. Maybe try searching for the booklet on Amazon or eBay?
Original post by grad_dentist
A friend is letting me borrow the KAPLAN booklet, apparently they just read from the book. Maybe try searching for the booklet on Amazon or eBay?

I wish that your friend was my friend :rolleyes:

ive heard they help a lot, when are u going 2 book ur ukcat this yearr??
Original post by StraightUpG
ive heard they help a lot, when are u going 2 book ur ukcat this yearr??

I'm planning to get it out of the way in July, after doing 3x the 600q ukcat book, other mock tests and maybe the kaplan thing. What about you?
I'm planning to get it out of the way in July, after doing 3x the 600q ukcat book, other mock tests and maybe the kaplan thing. What about you?

im still not sure i might leave it right and prepare for it as much as i can! need 2 leave enough time to revise for it
Original post by neeloo
Im sure it wont, what where your reasons?

Firstly, I just wanted to get more work experience etc (already got two weeks), hopefully some travelling. Secondly, I have diabetes, so I wanted to make sure I had it fully under control before uni. But I dont really wanna tell them that :\
Reply 28
Original post by fuzzycloud
Well I decided to go travelling, but ran out of money! Lol. So I worked for a while and visited Canada over winter. When I came back I got another job and worked until the end of the summer. Most of the money was gone by the end of Freshers' week. Hehe.

I did a bit more work experience, re-wrote my personal statement and did charity volunteering. The key thing is to do something. Universities don't like it if you have a lazy year. It doesn't need to be particularly dentistry related - do something you're interested in. Volunteering is a good choice, showing a caring side and a willingness to work without being money oriented.

LOL! Its ok, youve clearly shown you had initiative and got a job to fund a trip abroad which is excellent! That helped alot, I think Ill be doing some more voluntary work with the young signers group I regularly volunteer with and also help as a comittee member, we already do volunteering at the local hearing impaired school but after winning some money from the youth oppertunity fund weve now got the money to do canooeing, rock climbimg that sort of stuff with the kids! Also I think Ill try and get work experience in a variet of feilds, like orthodontics etc since Ive hear leeds likes variety! :biggrin:
Reply 29
Original post by P_united098
Firstly, I just wanted to get more work experience etc (already got two weeks), hopefully some travelling. Secondly, I have diabetes, so I wanted to make sure I had it fully under control before uni. But I dont really wanna tell them that :\

Oh right, remember two weeks is the bare minimuim so try and get it over a prolonged period of time which shows commitment which Im show you have :smile: Sorry to hear about your diabetes, both my mum and dad are diabetics so I understand it can be difficuilt to manage. Type 1 or 2? Im sure they will understand if its something new or if its really affecting your health, plus you dont actually have to tell them, to them youve just taken a gap year to reestablish your passion for dentistry :wink:
Reply 30
Original post by flowagirl
did anyone apply to cardiff, get rejected after the interview and get feedback?

yh I had interview at cardiff asked for feedback they said :
The main reason the University was unable to make you an offer of admission for the programme, however, was that following your interview, your overall score did not rank sufficiently high to progress your application.
Reply 31
Original post by ahmed_1
yh I had interview at cardiff asked for feedback they said :
The main reason the University was unable to make you an offer of admission for the programme, however, was that following your interview, your overall score did not rank sufficiently high to progress your application.

did they say the same thing to you, that if you get 3A's and apply there theyl give you an interview?? that interviews was :eek:a joke!!
Reply 32
did they say the same thing to you, that if you get 3A's and apply there theyl give you an interview?? that interviews was :eek:a joke!!

They said something about if you get an offer but miss it you can reapply to them, but nothing about a guaranteed interview if you get 3A's. That does sound good though, I'll probably reapply to cardiff next year, if of course I get 3A's. Although the interview at cardiff was stupidly difficult so maybe I won't.
Reply 33
Original post by ahmed_1
They said something about if you get an offer but miss it you can reapply to them, but nothing about a guaranteed interview if you get 3A's. That does sound good though, I'll probably reapply to cardiff next year, if of course I get 3A's. Although the interview at cardiff was stupidly difficult so maybe I won't.

what day were youu on? what other unis you thinking to applying to?
Reply 34
what day were youu on? what other unis you thinking to applying to?

I had my interview on friday. In terms of unis I'm not really sure whether I should apply to the same ones or change them, I'm thinking of applying to king's again (if ukcat goes well), leeds and maybe liverpool. So what are your thoughts on your uni choices?
Reply 35
I think the only uni ill reapply to will be cardiff, purely cause they did say they would give me another interview if i got 3A's. Im thinking queen mary's liverpool and manchester but not suree yet, whether i want to apply to kingss instead. where did you apply this year?
Original post by neeloo
Oh right, remember two weeks is the bare minimuim so try and get it over a prolonged period of time which shows commitment which Im show you have :smile: Sorry to hear about your diabetes, both my mum and dad are diabetics so I understand it can be difficuilt to manage. Type 1 or 2? Im sure they will understand if its something new or if its really affecting your health, plus you dont actually have to tell them, to them youve just taken a gap year to reestablish your passion for dentistry :wink:

Haha thanks! Type 1 :frown:
Yeahh lol, probably do that :P
Reply 37
Original post by P_united098
Haha thanks! Type 1 :frown:
Yeahh lol, probably do that :P

No problemo! :smile: Aww, chin up! Dont worry youll still make a graet dentist, if they ask about it at an interviw which Im sure they wont, you can work it to your advantage and talk about how diabetics are slower healers and hence are more likely to suffer from conditions affecting the gums, eg gingivitis and periodontistis and hence tooth loss, etc and you can amaze them with how much you know (as observed at wrk exp) :wink:
Original post by neeloo
No problemo! :smile: Aww, chin up! Dont worry youll still make a graet dentist, if they ask about it at an interviw which Im sure they wont, you can work it to your advantage and talk about how diabetics are slower healers and hence are more likely to suffer from conditions affecting the gums, eg gingivitis and periodontistis and hence tooth loss, etc and you can amaze them with how much you know (as observed at wrk exp) :wink:

Thanks again lol! Yeah wouldn't mind if they were to bring it up at an interview....I could go on for ages haha! But yeah, we'll just see how it goes! :P
Reply 39
Hi everyone!
Got 4 rejections as well :frown:

Applied to kings Leeds Sheffield and Manchester. Got 0 interviews :O :confused:

My stats
Gcse 5a* 7a 1.5b
As aaaaa
A2 pred A*A*A (bio physics chem) + one A already achieved last year
January exam results A*AA
UKCAT 637.5 grr

Got feedback from 2 unis Manchester said that I didn't have enough evidence of manual dexterity and leadership (any tips on that please?
Sheffield said that my ukcat was too low,( already started revising it as I want to reapply there)
Any ideas on manual dexterity which does not involve playing musical instruments? Thx :smile:

Hey! That's the exact thing that mcr said to me, leadership i didnt have much evidence in my p.s but said loads about manual skillsso I think they we just being really picky!(as well as ukcat which was really low!) btw was ur score out of 20 on the feedback form? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest