The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to fold the corner of pages in a book for an exam?

We got given clean copies of of mice and men and an inspector calls for the exam which are not to be written, but I was just wondering if you're allowed to fold corners of pages lightly and take it in the exam like that, of pages of main useful quotes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I see no reason why you couldn't. I did it in my exam, was no issues.
Reply 2
Original post by ReeceL
I see no reason why you couldn't. I did it in my exam, was no issues.

Reply 3
Seriously?! This'll make my life so much easier :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by c3ntury
Seriously?! This'll make my life so much easier :biggrin:

Same, I hope we're actually allowed because it will be so much easier than frantically flicking through pages in the exam haha
Reply 5
I am not even allowed to take any book into the exam.

Thanks WJEC -_-
During A-levels it was absolutely prohibited, and it is at university.
Original post by iJess
We got given clean copies of of mice and men and an inspector calls for the exam which are not to be written, but I was just wondering if you're allowed to fold corners of pages lightly and take it in the exam like that, of pages of main useful quotes?

You get the book when you go in and sit down, you won't get the opportunity to fold down corners etc before hand as you should (by exam rules) get given completely new copies. However during the exam you can fold the corners and you are allowed to amke notes on the book (most schools say you cant so they can reuse them). Good luck !! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Doctor-to-be
You get the book when you go in and sit down, you won't get the opportunity to fold down corners etc before hand as you should (by exam rules) get given completely new copies. However during the exam you can fold the corners and you are allowed to amke notes on the book (most schools say you cant so they can reuse them). Good luck !! :smile:

Not at our school we've got given the clean exam copies now, the examiners check your book when you go in but I'm asking because folding the corner isn't writing notes etc is it?
Reply 9
We have to have our names already in our book to put in a box at the end of the exam so teacher can tick of our year 11 completion sheet too D:
I don't recall folding corners of Lord of the Flies.

You should pretty much have all the possible quotes for all the different themes memorised come exam time, or at least know where about they are in the book.
Reply 11
we all did, also slightly ripping some of the pages that we wanted. the examiner only flicks through them to make sure there is no writing
Original post by matty123
I am not even allowed to take any book into the exam.

Thanks WJEC -_-

WJEC are biatches. Way too strict.

Did you know that they're the only exam board that makes you pay for mark schemes to past papers? gRR :mad:
Reply 13
I did, but then unfolded them because I was worried. I could still see where the pages had been folded though so it was fine
Reply 14
Yes i imagine so, i do this as it helps out a lot.
Reply 15
Why does WJEC not let you have books? :s-smilie:

and ok I might fold them but then unfold them before the exam so they can still be kinda seen by me, thanks :smile:
No one will notice, and if they do, you're doing it wrong.
For GCSE we weren't allowed to (WJEC :sad: ) but they let you do it at A Level even on WJEC and you can fold page corners over and put little sticky markers in there, but you can't make any notes on them. So you should be fine :smile:
go for it its your exam, do what you have to do! just do it pencil in case there is a problem
Reply 19
I'm not sure whether folding is strictly allowed but then i sincerely doubt any exam board would penalise you for doing it as they couldnt ever be sure it wasnt just accidental. If you do decide to, you could always just fold it kinda unevenly or something.
Also, I had a couple of exams at GCSE when we took in texts, and I don't know anyone who got theirs checked by the invigilators ... :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest