The Student Room Group

Maths Extended Essay - Graph Theory

I'm planning on doing my maths extended essay on graph theory and trying to find out the best possible bus routes for my school buses (i.e. taking the addresses of every student in school and calculating the most efficient route for all students to be picked up on with the current number of buses).

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this extended essay, either directly or by pointing me in the direction of books or scholarly articles which may help.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 1
to be honest

i don't think that will make a good essay

because it is a standard "travelling salesman" problem, as long as the size of your classmates are not huge, it can be easily done.

although if the distance and size are random, there is no known algorithm to calculate.

Hope it helps. I did my EE in Graph Theory as well
Reply 2
Interesting.

I think TT makes a good point. However, what if you through "research" or what not determine a few parameters outlining a few things that need to happen and then work within those parameters - making it slightly more than the standard traveling salesman.

Perhaps you can also work on an algorithm that would react to the addition of a new student? Or make it more complicated such as saying that all students would be divided into say eight bus lines. Finding the most efficient with a given number is a standard problem, however, the addition of a new student might require a more than superficial change in the structure.

Not sure -- just musing .
Reply 3
Original post by arra
Interesting.

I think TT makes a good point. However, what if you through "research" or what not determine a few parameters outlining a few things that need to happen and then work within those parameters - making it slightly more than the standard traveling salesman.

Perhaps you can also work on an algorithm that would react to the addition of a new student? Or make it more complicated such as saying that all students would be divided into say eight bus lines. Finding the most efficient with a given number is a standard problem, however, the addition of a new student might require a more than superficial change in the structure.

Not sure -- just musing .

Nice suggests man, don't think very realistic though, well, at least based on my opinion.
the problem will be either too complex or too simplistic. If he's doing all what u suggested, then it can be a degree-level paper. Usually these kind of problem should be worked out by a computer...
are u a high-school student??? btw
Reply 4
I was just completely musing. My knowledge of Graph Theory comes largely from an interesting compsci book I've read and many Wikipedia pages -- so informal/hobby-like at best.

I am in HS (sitting Math HL). So I completely get if what I suggested isn't realistic, but was just brainstorming the first thoughts that came to my mind. Nothing I say should be taken with much gravity as my knowledge of discrete maths is admittedly hobby-like.

I was actually imagining a math paper that would be more of an implementation of a student-developed algorithm - though I believe this is allowed for Math EEs.
Reply 5
Original post by arra
I was just completely musing. My knowledge of Graph Theory comes largely from an interesting compsci book I've read and many Wikipedia pages -- so informal/hobby-like at best.

I am in HS (sitting Math HL). So I completely get if what I suggested isn't realistic, but was just brainstorming the first thoughts that came to my mind. Nothing I say should be taken with much gravity as my knowledge of discrete maths is admittedly hobby-like.

I was actually imagining a math paper that would be more of an implementation of a student-developed algorithm - though I believe this is allowed for Math EEs.

yeah, no offense at all, of course..

u doing exams this year, or next???

what's your EE topic???
Reply 6
Original post by TTGenius
yeah, no offense at all, of course..

u doing exams this year, or next???

what's your EE topic???

In the process of my exams, haha!

Economics. I was going to do it in math, and do something about the spread of Dengue virus, but I found getting data hard. I didn't realize until later that you didn't really need much data and more math. Kinda chickened out, but I'll get an A :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by arra

Economics. I was going to do it in math, and do something about the spread of Dengue virus, but I found getting data hard. I didn't realize until later that you didn't really need much data and more math. Kinda chickened out, but I'll get an A :smile:

great to hear that, like the confidence you sound. where you going for uni???
Reply 8
Oxford -- if IBs work out (at this rate they will, let's see). You?
Reply 9
Original post by arra
Oxford -- if IBs work out (at this rate they will, let's see). You?

cambridge, haha
Yes you could probably use kruskal's algorithm because even i have a similar topic too
Original post by arra

Original post by arra

could you explain the dengue virus topic a bit please
Reply 12
Original post by vedantajwani
could you explain the dengue virus topic a bit please

My guy this post is 4 years old
Hi, what was your topic for greph theory EE?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending