The Student Room Group

David Cameron: "The time has come for gay couples to marry"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Perseveranze
Disappointing to say the least.

Oh dear, not a surprise to see you write this.
Reply 41
Original post by Mad Vlad
Whose votes? ~3-6% of the population? Hardly a massive group of people.

Surely it will gain him more votes from outside the gay community? In recent years a lot of people seem to care about it enough to make it an issue to spend their vote on. Then again it could lose him votes from traditionally conservative voters.
Reply 42
Original post by Skip_Snip
Oh look it's May 3rd, and not 10pm yet

Haha, an attempt to get more conservative votes eh.
Original post by Perseveranze
Disappointing to say the least.

If by granting gays marriage rights increases their willingness to "come out", then I can see nothing good or progressive in this. I fear that the social pressure will inevitably increase, and the statistics for depression and suicides will also be higher.

For a mere title, it was/is not worth it.

None of this makes sense. If more gay people come out then the depression and suicide statistics (at least among the gay community) will reduce, not increase - because they won't have to think they have to hide who they are.
Sounds good and progressive to me...
I'm going to play Devil's advocate here. Gay marriage is just another step in the long decline of Western marriage. Let us have a look at how marriage has fared over the years:

http://www.divorcerate.org/divorce-rates-in-uk.html

The increase in divorce rates almost exactly follows feminism's rise to power in our culture. Whether this is due to men refusing to man up or female hypergamy is unimportant. The main point is that with a large shift in our culture against marrying and settling down comes severe consequences: people are becoming more and more depressed and birth rates in the West are falling scarily far behind our foreign friends'.

Now why is it a problem that Westerners are not reproducing as much? Because we cannot rely on immigrants to uphold our values of freedom. Many come to the West specifically looking for a better life and end up in ghettos of their own people. Within these ghettos we see the same sort of savagery that was present in their old country and is their reason for escaping. Why do we let this happen? Because not only are we in the West self hating and criticizing our culture in favour of "multiculturalism" but also because Westerners (yes, mostly Caucasians) are becoming a minority in our own countries. With minority status comes powerlessness and an inability to defend the values and freedoms that were given to us by the sacrifice of our predecessors.

The main purpose of marriage outside of religious reasons is procreation, pure and simple (and redistribution of sex). Marriage is a social contract between a man and a woman which says that both have commitment to each other "til death do us part", financial and emotion. Not only this, but they have a commitment to any children they bring into this world by giving them the best possibly upbringing they can.

We have strayed far from this. Divorces rate have skyrocketed. Children of single moms tend to become losers in life. Divorces can wreck a child emotionally and yet we stand idly by and let this happen.

So in conclusion for gay marriages: are we not further diluting the concept of marriage? Isn't it already buried deep enough that we should be digging it out instead of pouring more sand on it? We already have seen how straying from the purest concept of marriage has disastrous implications for society. Can we afford to wreck ourselves further?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by EierVonSatan
I'm surprised he's so pro-gay marriage and I can see that it'll cause quite a stir in the conservative party. Personally, I think of it's a bit of a non-issue.

I'm more of the opinion that Davey doesn't really care about gay marriage; he's probably getting back-hand cash by some pro-gay marriage individuals, sort of like 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' :tongue:

Spoiler

FWIW, however, I'm all for gay marriage :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 46

Firstly: it's a handful of extra vote winings. Secondly: he's doing it to appeal to modern sensibility, and to make himself look in-touch with people.

It's a classic PR stunt to gain more votes and secure victory at the next GE.

Anyone can see that this is the case. Cameron is an upper-class toff. If people today were all for banning gay marriage, this is what Cameron would pledge in his manifesto. The only way he can hang-on to the next GE is to gain more votes and sway the public. He doesn't believe in gay marriage any more than I believe in Jehovah.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 47
I'm currently studying A2 biology and from what i understand the main purpose of Species is to reproduce or else they die out.
Gay people cannot reproduce so people who say it's genetics are WRONG.
It's their choice if they want to be gay, I think they should be allowed to get married but the NHS shouldn't fund them (They will most likely catch AIDS).
Then again i do believe that NHS shouldn't fund fat people either :P
Original post by Lord of Ruin
I'm going to play Devil's advocate here. Gay marriage is just another step in the long decline of Western marriage. Let us have a look at how marriage has fared over the years:

http://www.divorcerate.org/divorce-rates-in-uk.html

The increase in divorce rates almost exactly follows feminism's rise to power in our culture. Whether this is due to men refusing to man up or female hypergamy is unimportant. The main point is that with a large shift in our culture against marrying and settling down comes severe consequences: people are becoming more and more depressed and birth rates in the West are falling scarily far behind our foreign friends'.

Now why is it a problem that Westerners are not reproducing as much? Because we cannot rely on immigrants to uphold our values of freedom. Many come to the West specifically looking for a better life and end up in ghettos of their own people. Within these ghettos we see the same sort of savagery that was present in their old country and is their reason for escaping. Why do we let this happen? Because not only are we in the West self hating and criticizing our culture in favour of "multiculturalism" but also because Westerners (yes, mostly Caucasians) are becoming a minority in our own countries. With minority status comes powerlessness and an inability to defend the values and freedoms that were given to us by the sacrifice of our predecessors.

The main purpose of marriage outside of religious reasons is procreation, pure and simple (and possibly redistribution of sex). Marriage is a social contract between a man and a woman which says that both have commitment to each other "til death do us part", financial and emotion. Not only this, but they have a commitment to any children they bring into this world by giving them the best possibly upbringing they can.

We have strayed far from this. Divorces rate have skyrocketed. Children of single moms tend to become losers in life. Divorces can wreck a child emotionally and yet we stand idly by and let this happen.

So in conclusion for gay marriages: are we not further diluting the concept of marriage? Isn't it already buried deep enough that we should be digging it out instead of pouring more sand on it? We already have seen how straying from the purest concept of marriage has disastrous implications for society. Can we afford to wreck ourselves further?

Getting married costs money a lot of people dont have these days, most people dont want a crap wedding in a registry office.

Divorce gone up- because it is no longer stigmatized against, women can attain a divorce on any grounds these days, people arnt looked down on for leaving unhappy marriages, people are now ok with splitting up when the relationship has died off..etc

Lots of people have done well in life coming from a single mum. Way to generalise there mate. :facepalm:

I think more thought should be put into family these days but a lot of people are all about family, its just people are people who make mistakes and now they arnt forced to stay together if one has cheated or other. Again I'll point to the huge expense of getting married which many cannot afford and the financial commitment, also some people just dont want to marry. People can stay together for their whole lives without marrying.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by saim101
I'm currently studying A2 biology and from what i understand the main purpose of Species is to reproduce or else they die out.
It's their choice if they want to be gay, I think they should be allowed to get married but the NHS shouldn't fund them (They will most likely catch AIDS).

Gay people can reproduce.
It isn't a choice to be gay.
Being gay doesn't make a person more likely to catch AIDS.
Original post by saim101

They dont 'want' to be gay, and if you still think AIDS is a gay thing you are very very uneducated to the highest degree. Where have you been the past 25 years? :confused:

Where are you getting the ~3-6% figure from?
Reply 52
Original post by minimarshmallow
Gay people can reproduce.
It isn't a choice to be gay.
Being gay doesn't make a person more likely to catch AIDS.

Clearly your not familiar with the birds and the bees :s-smilie:.
You need a FEMALE to reproduce with, 2 males cannot reproduce. LOOOL
Reply 53
Original post by badcheesecrispy
They dont 'want' to be gay, and if you still think AIDS is a gay thing you are very very uneducated to the highest degree. Where have you been the past 25 years? :confused:

Well i haven't really been alive for 25 years :P.
Gay people don't feel the need to use condoms so they are slightly more likely to get AIDS.
Reply 54
The only problem I see is that with more rights come more demands. So if gays can marry, they will then lobby to marry within Church.

We then have conflicting rights. The right of the religious wishing to not allow gay marriage in church, and the right of gays wanting to marry in a church.

If the government forces Churches to allow gay marriage, they will then have to force Mosques - and that will lead to blood on the streets as we know our Muslim guests turn to violence with lightening quick speed when 'offended'.
Original post by saim101

Clearly YOU'RE not familiar with modern science. Heard of surrogate mothers?
Original post by saim101

Have a guess. How do you think heterosexual couples with one infertile partner reproduce?
Reply 57
Original post by minimarshmallow
Clearly YOU'RE not familiar with modern science. Heard of surrogate mothers?

by mother i believe you are referring to a female :P.
I'd like to see a gay couple produce naturally :biggrin:.
Some people are soooo funny on TSR
Original post by saim101
by mother i believe you are referring to a female :P.
I'd like to see a gay couple produce naturally :biggrin:.
Some people are soooo funny on TSR

You didn't say gay couples can't reproduce with each other. You said gay people can't reproduce. They can.
They often still desire to have children, and have them. So no faulty genes.

Yeah, some people are hilarious...
Reply 59
This is a good thing :smile: makes me happy for the future
Original post by jamieguitar101
I'm in no way homophobic but should the goverment have a say on religion?

It's referring to civil marriage. Marriage =/= a uniquely religious insititution.

Quick Reply

Latest